Who's into asian dramas here?

Since there’s a topic about anime, I want to take the opportunity to open a thread to discuss asian (japanese, chinese, korean, and why not viet and thai) dramas. So, anyone here into asian dramas? :smiley:

Not yet. Not out of dislike…I just haven’t gotten to that part of my “must watch” list yet.

I’ve been hoping Crunchyroll will release “Nodame Cantabile” streaming at so point so I can watch it legally. I loved the anime and manga and would really like to see the drama.

Me!! I’m from Singapore. Like Korean andTaiwanese dramas

I’m interested in watching asian dramas. Can anyone recommend a good one? I have netflix and also crunchyroll. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Last month TCM ran some Japanese films by Akira Kurosawa and Toshirô Mifune, with subtitles. They included the classic film Rashomon and several samurai movies. Two of the films Seven Samurai and Yojimbo were remade as westerns. I found the Samurai Trilogy Musashi Miyamoto, Duel at Ichijoji Temple, Duel at Ganryu Island, to be especially well done.
Earlier this summer TCM ran some of the Japanese Toho monster movies, undubbed with subtitles. I grew up watching the horribly dubbed and butchered versions, so it was interesting viewing it the way they were intended. The most interesting was Gojira, known in the US as “Godzilla”. The US version was cut, dubbed, and had added scenes with Raymond Burr.
Watching Gojira uncut was interesting because it became very obvious this movie WAS NOT about a giant lizard stomping on Tokyo. It was a thinly veiled commentary on the devestation of nuclear war.

Every extended family gathering I attend is an Asian Drama :smiley:

:rotfl:

Finished watching a series of Korean Drama at TV.
Stairway to Heaven. I like the soundtrack~

Rebecca Luker - Ave Maria (stairway to heaven)
youtube.com/watch?v=vR6ppk8Plp4

:rotfl::rotfl:

I have been into Japanese historical dramas since the age of 11. On the local Spanish network here in NJ from 11pm to 12 am they would always give a Japanese drama… my favorite one was based on the life of warrior “Miyamoto Musashi”.

Another favorite Japanese drama I adored was titled “Oshin” and spanned the life of a woman named Oshin from the late 1800’s to after WWII. Nowadays, the local Spanish network no longer gives these programs so I have to do alot of searching for Japanese programming.

I do admit also to liking the Korean dramas that are shown on channel 63 WMBC every day of the week.

God bless

Umm… do tokusatsu superhero series count? :o

I’m also into Kamen Rider Ryuki~

I have somewhat have some affinity towards the western part of Japan. After making a few research, I found out Christianity came through the Merchant City (present name Kansai region) alongside with firearms.

Miyamoto Musashi is one of the notable figure in the feudal lord war in early Japan. My personal opinion is the merchant who supplied the modern firearms “end” the war~ :smiley:
I do know a bit about Miyamoto Musashi through games like Samurai Warriors series that I play in PS2.

Well, I guess ¨Tokusatsu counts! :smiley: I also like it, I’ve been watching Tokusatsu since I was a kid in the early 80’s :smiley: My first Tokusatsu was Jaspion, then Changeman, Flashman, Jiban, Kamen Rider Black and Black RX :smiley:
That was all before the new Kamen Rider series came around :wink:
Now, I’m a big fan of Kamen Rider Agito, Ryuuki, Phi’s, but I don’t like Den-O and the most recent ones…

Ooh, that’s a bummer. I’m actually a huge Den-O fan. :o It’s more comedic than the others. Although, I’m a big fanboy of the Rider systems (particularly Ryuuki, Decade, Blade, Kabuto, and Kiva).

Heck I was working on a completely non-KR fanfiction and still my author avatar winded up basing his powers on KR! XD

strikes pose Henshin!!

Takeshi Mike’s remake of 13 Assassins is good.

It depends what you mean by Asian dramas. If you mean Ip Man and Fearless then I love them.

Well, I think that counts… :smiley:

I’m very discriminating when it comes to Asian dramas.

Why? Just because their acting “rocks”? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.