Why all Protestants (probably) attack the Catholic church?

Sure some Protestants churches would attack and be against a some other Protestant churches, sometimes a Protestant church claim to be the only true church.

One thing is common to them, they all attack the Catholic Church. What could be the causes?

What gives you that erroneous idea?
Your title shocked me.

I was raised Anglican and we never ever attacked RC. We worked alongside when they allowed it which sadly was not often.

Where please do you get such an idea?

Are you maybe seeing putting forward different ideas as attacking?

Peace please! Peace…

I was a born and brought Methodist before converting to the Catholic faith. I was 44 at conversion and in the first 44 years of my life I never once heard any Methodist criticize the Catholic Church.

Can you please then tell us what Protestants you are referring to?

I have had protestant friends down through the years and I always at times felt like they treated me slightly different because I was a Catholic. I am in no way saying anything bad about them but with some you do get that feeling. I have a few protestant neighbours aswell and again they tend to stick together at times when it really matters. They can throw parties to 4 in the morning and it’s ok to keep everyone awake! But I know in my heart of I held a party in my area they would all be knocking on my door the next day to complain and boy would they complain…I grew up with this type of behaviour and I just let them get on with it.

I have a friend who dated a protestant guy for awhile and he was a lovely fella. The romance fizzed out though when his father found out she was a Catholic. He took her to meet his dad and he wouldn’t let her into the house because she was a Catholic! Yes this does still go on!

I can’t remember them, they usually avoid saying their denomination, they usually say they are Christian or “born again”. From observation, in Facebook, there are many who attacks the CC implying unbilicality, I thought that’s indication that they are of denominations that are Sola Scriptura adherents. Just check out some Protestant sites and look for their view on Catholicism in the web. On top my head are,

Jesus is Savior
CARM
Got Questions
The Bereans

In the Philippines these are very fierce attackers of the CC: “Iglesia ni Cristo” and “Members Church of God International”. Those two themselves fight very horribly since 1980 according to Wikipedia.

Isn’t Early Protestanism built on attacking the CC? And the consecutive Protestants denominations that appeared followed it’s footsteps attacking the CC.

My friend in the UCC attacked the Catholic Church for indulgences. I turned it into a running joke. Methinks I bought 50,000 indulgences so far from Father this year. That Indulgences app really helps.

Yes, Ealy Protestants are built on that.

Those sites are extreme for Protestants. Even my Protestant friends accept me as Christian. One time, I think my friend said he believed in faith and being a good person to be saved.

First to clarify; no, all Protestants don’t attack the CC.

Second; you haven’t been around a lot of Protestants when they talk about other denominations, have you? :stuck_out_tongue: What I mean is that Protestants tend to talk about and disagree with* teachings*, not with denominations as a whole. Because most Protestants rely on individual understanding of scripture for the basis of various beliefs, it is the beliefs that are usually discussed, not a wholesale denomination.

Third bit; the cause of disagreement is usually interpretation of scripture.

The less mature members of Fundamentalist Evangelical communities and/or various Baptists are the worst offenders. Just post a defense of the faith on any of the innumerable anti-Catholic vids on YouTube. “Pagan, man-made, @*(^$#, demon-filled, going to hell, liars”, you name it. Vitriolic hatred and not one iota of love. Their vituperation and calumny became a blessing to me, and I told them as much.

Pure hatred, fueled by ignorance. Why? Because the truth is always under assault. From John 15: “Remember, if the world hates you, it hated me first.”

They claim to be Christian, but atheists are kinder and gentler. We know who incites such hatred of Christ’s Church.

Pull down some of the replies to Catholic defense in this vid: youtube.com/watch?v=-UXo4Ql9F1Y

Your title shocked me.

I was raised Anglican and we never ever attacked RC. We worked alongside when they allowed it which sadly was not often.

Peace please! Peace…

Yes. Souldiver, you can’t use a handful of internet sites to know Protestants. If I went by some Catholic internet sites to understand Catholics, I’d think they were pretty hateful people…which they are not, on the whole.

That’s why I indicated “probably”. There are thousands of Protestant denominations, I can’t check them all out one by one, they’re about 33,820 and 8,196 according to Svendsen in this topic forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=5159, so I based my statement in my current experience.

Perhaps it is fundamentalists ? who have those thoughts such as:

1. The Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon

2. Catholics worship Mary

etc., etc.

Jack Chick tracts have been put on the windshields of cars at Catholic Churches on Sunday. This happened at my parish several years ago.

I am well aware that most Protestants do not do such things, or think that way.

Maybe the OP means that Protestants openly disagree with the Catholic Church? That’s not really an “attack” though some are more “attacky” about it than others. By definition, a protestant is a Christian who disagrees with the teachings of the universal Church and I’m sure the reasons are varied.

My mom belongs to a non-denominational church that doesn’t go around attacking the Catholic church. About the only time it ever came up was the minister asking my mom why my dad didn’t come to church with us, and she just answered, “He’s Catholic.” The minister just said, “Oh. Well, tell him he’s still welcome to come by if he ever wants.” I’d hardly call that an attack.

Thank you WHY the anger because others express different beliefs?

Makes me ashamed of all “religion” frankly. If WE cannot live. what chance the rest of the world? Sure i get tracts given to me but I just set them aside and all I meet know they can turn to me in need… or I hope they do ,

Signing off this thread and most of the other similar ones, I found great faith and peace in my Anglican life , Actaully more so than here Ah well1

Most of the protestants i know don’t really attack. But when I tell them I’m Catholic, you can see the teeny tiny look on their face, as if to say “why?!?!?”. But to be honest, I’m sure some of us subconsciously do that to others.

If you are talking about online, you only see the opinions of those who choose to post them. So it may seem like a lot of them do this.

But anyway…the Church is the oldest church, claims to be founded by Jesus, etc. To them it may seem absurd and hence they try to discredit it. Can come from a place of insecurity.

Also some teachings might look crazy. Stuff like purgatory, the assumption and all might just look unbelievable to non catholics and so they get angry that a huge group is ‘spreading lies’.

The title question is overly broad in its assumption that all Protestants attack the Catholic Church. Many probably ignore it altogether, having little or no interest in things Catholic.

From my own point of view, there are elements of Catholic doctrine or dogma that I question or disagree with, but I don’t “attack” the Catholic church because of them. I prefer to focus on what we share in the Triune God. I am sure that there are many others who feel much the same.

Your title shocked me.

Peace please! Peace…

Agreed. Actually, the original post doesn’t even make sense. I am wondering if it was put together by someone whose main language is not English…:confused: It comes across as oddly aggressive.

Disagreeing does not mean attacking.

Just like me disagreeing with Islam does not make me an Islamophobe.

“All” Protestants attack the Church? A sweeping, rash generalization. :mad:

This is akin to “all Christians are intolerant” or “all atheists are cruel” (certainly, neither is true!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.