Why am I so sad?

I got back from a wonderful trip to Europe Sunday afternoon and now I’m leaving for a church trip tomorrow morning. Then, I come back, have mouth surgery (second phase of tooth implant), pack up, and leave for college two weeks later. I’m wicked excited and can’t wait.

But today, I’m just feeling horribly depressed and bored. I especially miss my boyfriend right now, but other than that, I don’t know why I’m so down. Is it because I’m leaving? Because so many things are ending for me? I don’t know. I feel like I did before I left for Europe: alone, scared, and unsure of myself. While I was in Europe, I felt amazing. I was still on quite a high (as well as jet lagged) for several days. Now I just feel sad. Why?

No real advice other than I remember having very similar feelings the summer before I left for college for the first time.
I don’t know whether I was more excited or nervous or what, but it was definitely a time of change. Maybe a sadness for what you had, and you know it will never be the same again (that was a big one for me)… the people I was leaving behind, the routines, the good, the bad, and the ugly! :stuck_out_tongue: It was life! But life’s about to change.
It’s okay to mourn the end of an era… just pray that your next step in life is just as fulfilling! So fulfilling that you’ll mourn leaving it behind too!

Good luck… :thumbsup:

Sounds like reverse jet lag and not enough sleep/rest as opposed to lonely and sad time.

Go to mass and get revived, refreshed, renewed. Perhaps all the planning is distracting you from and you just need to “power down” for a while in deep prayers and reflection. You owe it to yourself.

Be safe on your travels and with your surgery - God Bless.

I get just plain sad/tired/depressed/worn out for a few days every cycle. Maybe it’s just your hormones? I know a good night’s sleep always helps me. As for missing your bf, I know how you feel!!! Mine was away for a week, a week ago, and it was tough. You’ll survive, no worries! :hug1: This, too, shall pass. ^^

I felt the same way when I was leaving for college for the first time. I grew up in a small town, and went to a small school (I graduated with 72 in my class, and that was a big class), and I was friends with my classmates. I wanted to be the exception to the belief that once you start college you lose touch with your high school friends, and you lose the connection to your hometown. I really didn’t want to admit that that was a very real possibility (and in my case, it ended up being true). This year I’m graduating from college, and once again looking back at everything that has happened over the past four years, and not wanting to leave the people and places that have given me so much.

It’s never easy to leave behind part of your life that has shaped you into who you are. But maybe the best thing to do is to appreciate what your past gave you, and use that to make this new part of your life wonderful. Just remember to pray.

Good luck!

What does class of '11 mean? :confused:

hope you are doing well

I’m also leaving to college next month… I was pretty excited but like you the past few days I have been really down. I have a very close large family and that is probably the reason. :frowning:

“Class of xxx” usually means graduating class…

So she’s expecting to graduate in 2011 (4 full years starting this fall)…

Hope that helps…

Maybe a combination of factors? Sometimes physical things, such as lack of sleep, affect the mood… They may be both the reason why you feel bad, and what makes you care. Perhaps the feelings of change are kicking in in a time of lowered physical resilience? I’ll remember you in my prayers. Try to get yourself occupied with something and preferably with friends. :wink:

:slight_smile:

I never saw it this way, as projected into the future. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.