Why and how is pride the root of all sin?

Explain thoroughly. What is pride or hubris? If you do not think what you are doing is motivated by pride. How is abortion motivated by pride?

It is difficult to believe God’s law is an objective standard of morality for ALL. I understand for Catholics.

Re: Why and how is pride the root of all sin?

For we brought nothing into this world, and certainly we can carry nothing out. 1 Timothy 6:7

Abortion, as well as all other grave sin, is centered on pride because it is pushing God aside saying “this is what I want” versus what God wants. Sex is a human function for the sole purpose of creating life under the marriage covenant. However, we still have the ability to procreate based on the Law because of our free will. God willed that we choose to unite to Him, thus if we follow His way, and out of our own free will choose to marry and procreate, abortion would never be an issue. But since we are fallen we have a tendency to want what we want instead of what God wills.

Genesis 3:5 For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

It is all about us wanting to be the one who decides what is good or evil.

Yeah, when I first heard about that, I was like :eek: but came to understand. We each owe God because He gave us life. We each owe Jesus because He died for us.

Just like a criminal who doesn’t “accept” the law applies to him, some do not accept God or our individual debt to Him. but just as so many criminals discover the law does apply to them, so do we each eventually find out that, yes, we do owe God, and He owns each of us. Thus, we are all subject to His laws.

Another way of looking at it is that His law is written on our hearts, and quite a lot of it can be figured out through human reason, as it is natural law. While a thief may think it is ok if he steals, boy will he get mad if someone has the temerity to steal from him!!! (seriously, thisnis true.)

I find that meditating on the Trinity shows why pride is completely opposed to the Divine. All three persons share the same essence. If there were any pride, then a person would insist on having its own unique essence.

Also consider that the Father begets the Son, communicating the entirety of His essence to the Son, not holding back any of his essence for Himself alone. And the Son receives the entirety of His essence from the Father - the Son does not make or build any of His own essence, but receives it all from the Father. If there were pride, the Son would make his own essence, but he doesn’t. He receives all that He is from the Father.

And the same line of thinking applies to the Holy Spirit.

So God has no tolerance for pride in us. We are called to receive all that we have and are from God, and to share it with others - and to humbly receive what is good and fruitful from others.

Some of these answers are rather profound and philosophical. I’ll accept a simple understanding

Your question reminded me of C.S. Lewis’s passage on “The Great Sin” in Mere Christianity.
I believe this link here will lead you to almost the exact same passage. In the passage, Lewis offers a plain English explanation of why pride is the greatest sin. I hope this helps!
Pax et bonum,
Ryan

To put it very simply, every mortal sin contains some pride. In every mortal sin the creature lifts himself against his Creator and declares that he will do his own will, and not that of God. Thus, as Aquinas said, it is a turning away from God and a refusal to be subject to His rule. It is the same sin as that of the fallen angels. It’s influence on the other vices is so universal that Gregory did not even consider pride to be simply a mortal sin, but indeed the queen and mother of all sins.

If you ever read Dante’s Purgatorio, the part concerning the Terrace of Pride is telling. Useless it is to try to master the other sins until first mastering pride. After this, even climbing the hill is easier than walking on the level of the terrace.

The Christian Faith is hierarchical with everything pointing to the Father. Jesus taught what the Father told him, the first Apostles taught what Jesus taught them, and the church continues it today. All characterizing humility in submitting our will to God’s as a virtue, and pride as the opposite.

From John 14:23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.

If you want a simple version: sin is knowingly and willfully putting our desires or ideas above God’s will (which is identical to what is right and good). It is pride to say that we know better than God, or that our desires are more important than what is right.

Basically this. When you sin you’re refusing to recognize God’s divinity and supremacy. You’re saying, “I know this isn’t what You want, but it’s what I want, so I’m doing it anyway.”

Pride is putting the self first.

There are three levels of selfishness.

Level 1: legitimate self interest. You need to sleep. You need to eat.

Level 2: I want to do what I want to do, but draw the line at hurting others. .

Level 3: I want to do what I want to do, even if it hurts someone. This is narcissism.

Level 3 is pride and gravely sinful. Level 2 is sinful if what one wants to do is outside of God’s will. Level 1 may not be sinful, but sometimes may lead to sin of omission.

The self is evil, because selfishness easily turns to evil, and that is because one wants to do something outside of God’s will. This is why we are to give up the self - we are required to deny our very self.

I don’t understand how Christ’s standards apply to all. Why does God give some people the opportunity to know the ultimate truth and then deprives others? I’ll never understand God’s ways. I still like to believe what is best for me is best for me rather than believing we all must follow the same rules.

In some ways God treats us all equally. “God rains on saint and sinner alike” is the saying. God is not a respecter of persons, so it doesn’t matter social status, race, etc.

On the other hand, God treats us differently. Then recall “to those who more is given, more is expected. To those with less, less is expected.”

So for those who you say God has “deprived” - they won’t be so harshly judged as those who God has not deprived.

The Lord is fair in His own way. Things like this scary. Why move closer to Christ if the judgment is harsher?

Because the other guy is worse. You don’t want to be with him.

What?

Because you know more about being good, because you know how to acquire additiinal grace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.