Why are catholics allowed to eat meat?

Aren’t the animals on earth created by God? Then why are human beings allowed to take another living creature’s life just because of the human enjoys the taste it or whatever? In buddism, they teach how people can live peacely and not eat animals (not even diary products).

As for that matter, aren’t all the plants on earth created by God? Then why are human beings allowed to take a living plant’s life just because of the human enjoys the taste it or whatever?

And aren’t trees living? Why are we allowed to cut them down to make houses out of when we can live in naturally occuring caves instead? Aren’t rocks and stones created by God? Why are we allowed to take them and make buildings out of them when God put them naturally in the ground?

God created plants, animals and everything with a purpose or purposes in mind for it. One of the purposes of at least some of the animals is to be a source of food - for each other as well as for humans. Says so in Genesis - ‘fill the earth and subdue it’. And in Exodus and Leviticus where the people of Israel and priests in particular are not only forbidden from eating certain animals but also told that they can eat whatever other animals they like.

And don’t forget that the animals return the favour. We in turn get eaten by the occasional lion or shark, or by the worms when we die.

because Catholics are not buddhists. there is nothing in God’s law revealed and handed on through Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture that bans eating of meat or use of animal products.

Acts 10:12-14 (New American Standard Bible)

12and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and [a]crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air.

13A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!”

That’s why. God said to.

No one is free, therefore, to pass judgment on you in terms of what you eat or drink….
Colossians 2:16

A man of sound faith knows he can eat anything. While one who is weak in faith eats only vegetables. The man who will eat anything must not ridicule him who abstains from certain foods…
Romans 14:2

The kingdom of God is not a matter of eating or drinking…
Romans 14:17

The animals and plants on earth were created for man. It is okay to eat anything you want or reject anything you want to.

God gave mankind the animals for food right after the great flood.

1 Then God blessed Noah and his sons and told them, “Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth. 2 All the animals of the earth, all the birds of the sky, all the small animals that scurry along the ground, and all the fish in the sea will look on you with fear and terror. I have placed them in your power. 3 I have given them to you for food, just as I have given you grain and vegetables. - (Gen 9:1-3)

Paul

**Also: **

**Gen 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth.
Gen 9:2 The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every bird of the air, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea; into your hand they are delivered.
Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
Gen 9:4 Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Gen 9:5 For your lifeblood I will surely require a reckoning; of every beast I will require it and of man; of every man’s brother I will require the life of man.
Gen 9:6 Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for God made man in his own image.
Gen 9:7 And you, be fruitful and multiply, bring forth abundantly on the earth and multiply in it.” **

Gautama Siddahartha ate meat–in fact, his death is attributted to eating a tainted dish of pork. Buddhism counsels vegetarianism for the PRIMARY reason Hinduism does–it’s another “attatchment” one can give up that makes Enlightenment easier. If one has already reached that state (like the Buddha supposedly did) then one is beyond attatchment–so being the omnivore isn’t going to hurt.

Christ and His apostles ate fish at the very least and probably ate other meat such as lamb or beef.

Besides a good steak done right, is really yummy !!!

IF God did not want us to eat meat He would not have made animals so tasty ! This thread is making me really hungry…

Aren’t Hostess Fruit Pies on earth created indirectly by God through man?

Then why are human beings allowed to take pleasure in their fruity delicious goodness just because the Hulk lost a battle between Wendigo and the Abomination?

Yeah Hulk! You go girl!

In the Marvel Universe, Stan Lee has often been quoted to say…

Excelsior!

disclaimer: spellcheck may be required for some words

Now now, I’m sure you’d be very tasty too, cooked in the right way …

with lashing of just the right seasonings bringing out your beefy goodness …

must … resist …

cannibalistic … urges … rising … rising …

slowly reaches for axe and heads in wcknightt’s direction

Course, the way this thread is going…

One of my favorite buttons reads:

“I don’t trust anyone who wont eat meat or drink beer.”

And one of my favorite bumper stickers reads:

“There’s a place for all of God’s creatures–right next to the mashed potatos.”

Actually, Humans in some areas were refered to as “long pig” because of their taste I believe.

I don’t have a problem with being the other other white meat.

A lone Raven

p.s. According to the Aztecs the left thigh is the choicest part, just in case you ever get the urge.

Haven’t you heard of the circle of life? I’m sure you have, that was a rhetorical question.

God’s a genius. He created everything and yet we eat from everything that God has created, plants AND animals. How on earth will you live if you were not part of the circle of life? You wouldn’t.

Acts 10:13. There is the authority.

But that does not absolve Catholics from their very solemn obligation to do all they can to prevent avoidable sufferingJn 15:17.

I believe that we have a duty to do whatever we can to preserve life and that is also the teaching of the Church. Why abortion is such a serious sin.

I also believe we have a duty to avoid eating meat [or anything else] to excess. I also believe that much animal production [such as poultry kept locked up in the dark and other non-naturalistic conditions] is sinful.

I also believe that Vegetarianism is the ideal but not the absolute requirement :wink:

I think, theologically, eating meat was a concession from God to our inherent weakness. It’s only after Noah that we are allowed to eat meat. Which is ironic, given the then tremendous lack of available game. Maybe God was just having a joke on us :slight_smile:

Notice that in Genesis, God commanded Noah to take one male-female pair or each animal, except the “clean” animals (the ones the Jews were allowed to eat). Of those animals, Noah was commanded to take seven pairs into the ark.

So it is obvious that God was preparing to have more clean than unclean animals after the flood to provide food for mankind.

Since, from the time of Cain and Abel, lambs were sacrificed, it is clear that killing animals was nothing new. But perhaps eating them was something new… I’ll ask Jesus when I get there.

God bless,
Paul

:rotfl:

I cannot see any bearing by not eating animals, not even dairy products, we can live peacefully.:slight_smile: Animals are good source of food to feed the world population. I don’t eat much animals & products only because it’s quite unhealthy and this thing about cholesterol.:slight_smile:

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.