Why are Catholics always being

Why do other faiths attack Catholics so much?I
Im Baptist myself but I never felt like attacking another faith.

:shrug: !!!

Because Christ warned us that we will be persecuted and we have been since then.

pax tecum

warned who would be persecuted? Catholics?

There are two groups that attack Catholics. (Some) Protestants (especially Evangelical & Fundamentalist Christians), and (some) atheists. Those two groups agree on nothing but their hatred of Catholicism.

Why are black masses perversions of the Catholic Mass and not perversions of denominational services?
What does the Adversary know about Catholicism that you don’t know?
Why would the Adversary be so determined to suppress Catholicism and not the denominations?
Why is anti-Catholicism the last socially acceptable prejudice?

:nerd: :highprayer: :signofcross: :bible1:

Now if you know of any determined perversions and misrepresentations of Protestant practises, then please post em and let’s have it on the table. Thank you.

and #3 ex-Catholics

Kind of sad when someone says “the church teaches X” and when you question him it turns out to be something he half remembers being told in 3rd grade.

As to the OP, a lot of anti Catholicism in the English-speaking world is a relic (no pun intended) of the so-called wars of religion of the 16th and 17th century when religion and politics and dynastic ambitions became intertwined.

In the non English-speaking world there is still the residual of the anti-clerical movements of the various revolutions of the 19th and 20th century when so-called “throne and alter” conservatives were the enemy.

A less charitable man might suggest that anti-Catholics are just jealous… I couldn’t possibly suggest that. :wink:

I dont mean to be rude or conceited, but when you really think about it, what other Church is worth attacking? :shrug: And who, exactly, would they direct their attack at? I cant name a single authoratative representative of another major Christian community, can you?
The world knows that the Catholic Church has been the visible Church of Christ since the very beginning and, as such, it is the target of the world. There really isnt anypoint in going after other churches…

Oh! here Iam thinking that you guys just torqued someone off! LOL!:wink:

Some good things to think about. Yet Born Again Christians - I would say - as as equally attacked - from other Christians and non christians. But good points. That is why I am here.

Fear of the unknown, which is the knowledge of the Catholic Faith.

Also, uncertain about their own beliefs. If they were certain about their own faith, they wouldn’t need to attack another. Thus, making themselves feel better. This is the reason that I never, ever, say anything against someone’s beliefs, because I am now firm in my own and don’t need to search, or seek anymore. I just try to live a life as a witness. No need in being anti any faith.

Boy, storm807…you sure are asking a lot of questions on this forum, welcome!

And since you are Baptist…what’s brings you here??? :wink:

I can understand in a sort of left-handed way why those who profess belief in the system of other Christina denominations or other religions would attack Catholic beliefs. They are at least demonstrating that they understand there must be some absolute truth, and they are defending their definition of that truth, because logically if it differs from Catholic teaching, one or the other must be untrue. I can understand personal attacks, verbal or physical, on adherents of other religions from any point of view, and sadly American history has been stained by such attacks on Catholics.

What I cannot for the life of me understand is why atheists would attack Catholics or any other religion? If it does not matter, why should it matter? Why so much energy, bitterness, and reams of paper and internet airspace devoted to debunking something that doesn’t exist? It would be like establishing international societies and forums and conventions to debunk Bigfoot or Nessie or UFOs.

I can help explain this, perhaps. Catholicism is a strongly evangelical religion – not in the American Protestant tradition, but in the sense that it actively seeks converts. And there’s a lot of focus on drawing people to Rome.

When you repeatedly attempt to evangelize people who aren’t interested, they can get ticked off at you and respond in kind. Notice that militant atheists don’t tend to go after Judaism or Zoroastrianism, among others – those faiths aren’t in the market for converts (and in the case of Judaism, they specifically discourage them). Christianity, though, is a missionary faith, and Catholicism its largest branch.

A second reason is that Christianity generally expects everyone else, believer or not, to live up to its moral standards; in America itself, this has reached the point of Christians trying to make their detailed and intricate moral codes the law of the land. Again, nonbelievers have no reason to like this, and plenty of reason to dislike it.

The Bigfoot parallel isn’t all that apt – there are many, many more people who believe in the Christ than in Bigfoot, and sasquatch freaks don’t affect peoples’ lives nearly as much as Christians do.

I can’t speak for other Christians, but the Catholic Church expects all human beings to live up to the moral standards written on the human heart by their creator from the moment of conception, and clearly discernable, right and logical by a study of nature and natural law, in all times, places and societies. The fact that all societies have deduced natural law and its logical moral imperatives attests to this. We do not insist on our own moral code, we insist that there is a universal moral code than cannot be broached except to the extreme peril of the individual, the species, the society and the planet.

As far as atheiests, agnostics, or those living a sinful lifestyle are concerned, I think the Book of Wisdom, Chapter 2 nails it:

They who said among themselves, thinking not aright: "Brief and troublous is our lifetime; neither is there any remedy for man’s dying, nor is anyone known to have come back from the nether world.
For haphazard were we born, and hereafter we shall be as though we had not been; Because the breath in our nostrils is a smoke and reason is a spark at the beating of our hearts,
And when this is quenched, our body will be ashes and our spirit will be poured abroad like unresisting air.
Even our name will be forgotten in time, and no one will recall our deeds. So our life will pass away like the traces of a cloud, and will be dispersed like a mist pursued by the sun’s rays and overpowered by its heat.
For our lifetime is the passing of a shadow; and our dying cannot be deferred because it is fixed with a seal; and no one returns.
Come, therefore, let us enjoy the good things that are real, and use the freshness of creation avidly.
Let us have our fill of costly wine and perfumes, and let no springtime blossom pass us by; let us crown ourselves with rosebuds ere they wither.
Let no meadow be free from our wantonness; everywhere let us leave tokens of our rejoicing, for this our portion is, and this our lot.

Let us oppress the needy just man; let us neither spare the widow nor revere the old man for his hair grown white with time.
But let our strength be our norm of justice; for weakness proves itself useless.
Let us beset the just one, because he is obnoxious to us; he sets himself against our doings, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training.
He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the LORD.
To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us,
Because his life is not like other men’s, and different are his ways.
He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the just and boasts that God is his Father.
Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him.
For if the just one be the son of God, he will defend him and deliver him from the hand of his foes.
With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience.
Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him."
These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them,
And they knew not the hidden counsels of God; neither did they count on a recompense of holiness nor discern the innocent souls’ reward.
For God formed man to be imperishable; the image of his own nature he made him.
But by the envy of the devil, death entered the world, and they who are in his possession experience it.

This passage, which only appears in the Catholic Bible, has long been seen as a prophecy of Chirst’s Passion. What they did to the Master, they’ll do to the servant.

Bigfoot is Catholic. :wink: :smiley:

That’s what I heard also…a Trappist Monk as I recall… :slight_smile:

It’s not just Catholics and the Catholic Church.

When I was evangelical Protestant, we always talked about how our churches and preachers were persecuted.

For many years, Dr. James Dobson has declined to do interviews with secular media because of the way that they twist his words and make him sound like a blithering idiot. The man is a licensed clinical psychologist, with a PhD in Psychology, and over 30 years of clinical experiences. He was on the staff of USC for years–a secular university! But yet the media continue to misrepresent him as a “fundamentalist preacher,” which he is not, and to berate his theories of child rearing as “archaic fundamentalist beliefs.”

Fundamentalist Christians especially come under all kinds of attack for their beliefs, which are seen as “dangerous” by the secular realm. It’s “dangerous” to be monogamous? It’s “dangerous” for a parent to stay home to take care of their children? I was never a fundamentalist, and the fundamentalist Christians that I have known were indeed, somewhat “separatist” from other Christian churches. But they are usually decent people and “salt of the earth” Christians. They don’t deserve what they get.

Pentecostals get attacked for their “physical” manifestations of worship (e.g., tongues, being slain in the spirit, spiritual singing and dancing, etc.). Often their pastors and teachers are accused of anti-intellectualism.

In fact, evangelicals and other Protestants also get accused of ignorance and anti-intellectualism. Many evangelicals are opposed to the teaching of the theory of evolution as “scientific fact.” For this, they are blasted as medievalists and worse. (BTW,I am opposed to the teaching of the THEORY of evolution as scientific fact. I work in a microbiology lab, and I believe that teaching theories as fact is bad scientific practice.)

Many of the Protestant denoms are attacked for perceived “racism.” “No slacks, no tracks, no blacks.”

In spite of the tremendous amount of charitable and relief work that Protestants do around the U.S. and the world, the media continues to portray them as “health and wealth” advocates who don’t give a poop about their fellow man.

There are many fictional portrayals of Protestant preachers as con artists, fools, racists, sexists, etc. I’ve often seen portrayals in literature or film of Protestant pastors as sexual perverts or sex addicts.

And perhaps saddest of all, Protestant missionaries around the world continue to be martyred for their Christian faith. My Christian and Missionary Alliance pastor served 17 years in Viet Nam during the Viet Nam war. While he was there, dozens of his friends (American and Vietnamese) were cruelly killed.

I have heard that the South Korean hostages are (were) evangelical missionaries.

I receive several Protestant denominational magazines, and they regularly report the martydom of their missionaries. Most of the time, this receives no national publicityl; the only ones who know are the Christians in that denomination.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that non-Catholic ecclesial communities have a portion of the Gospel, and that baptized people are our separated brothers and sisters. I believe that Catholic Christians need to recognize that Protestant Christians are persecuted and martyred, too, and that we all need to hold onto each other and the Lord to help each other through hard times.

Sadly, it’s because most Catholics are poorly Catechized (taught their faith) and become easy pickings.

Why do you Catholics such empty rituals in your Mass?” ----- “Um, I don’t know”.

Why do you Catholics worship Mary and statues when the 10 commandments condemn this”? ------ “Um, I don’t know”.

The Rosary is simply repeated prayer, why do you Catholics do that when Jesus forbids it”? ------ “Um, I don’t know”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.