Why are Catholics so judgmental?

I have recently realized that the Catholic Church is the one true Church and I am excited about learning all that I can about it. I am reading tons of books about the Catholic Church. It seems that everywhere I turn, including this site, Catholics are bashing Protestant religions and specific prominent people. If you ask me you win more people with love than you do with finger pointing. I realize that you have a right to defend your Church but I think it goes way past that. I am new to the term apologist. Is it the norm for Catholics to all consider themselves apologists and go around pointing out everyone else’s faults? Personally I am very discouraged by this behavior. If my faith wasn’t so strong, I would turn away from the Catholic Church for this very reason, which is why I did turn away from my Pentecostal background.

[quote=blues01]I have recently realized that the Catholic Church is the one true Church and I am excited about learning all that I can about it. I am reading tons of books about the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Welcome home! :slight_smile: If you need assistance in your journey, I hope you will consider Catholic Answers a resource, whether on these forums or by calling our office directly.

[quote=blues01]It seems that everywhere I turn, including this site, Catholics are bashing Protestant religions and specific prominent people. If you ask me you win more people with love than you do with finger pointing. I realize that you have a right to defend your Church but I think it goes way past that.
[/quote]

Without specific examples to consider, I can only offer general remarks. If individuals are merely evaluating the claims of different religions or specific individuals in light of what the Catholic Church teaches, that is acceptable. If individuals unfairly treat other religions or individuals, you are correct that this is behavior unworthy of a Christian called to love his neighbor as himself. If a participant does so in the general forums, you should bring it to the attention of the moderation staff through the post report feature. The Catholic Answers Forums are meant to be a place where Catholics and non-Catholics can charitably discuss various issues of importance to their lives.

[quote=blues01]I am new to the term apologist. Is it the norm for Catholics to all consider themselves apologists and go around pointing out everyone else’s faults?
[/quote]

An apologist is someone who explains and defends a particular position. A Catholic apologist is someone who explains and defends the Catholic faith. Some, like the Catholic Answers apologetics staff, do this on a professional basis. Others, such as many of the Forums participants, do this on an avocational basis in their free time. All Catholic apologists would benefit from reading these two books as a means of more charitably sharing their Catholic faith:

Search and Rescue by Patrick Madrid
How NOT to Share Your Faith by Mark Brumley

[quote=blues01]Personally I am very discouraged by this behavior. If my faith wasn’t so strong, I would turn away from the Catholic Church for this very reason, which is why I did turn away from my Pentecostal background.
[/quote]

As discouraging as it becomes, please keep two things in mind:

1. As you have noted, such behavior is not limited by religion. People in all faith traditions can and do ignore the expectations of their religion and act uncharitably. The Catholic writer, G. K. Chesterton, once observed wryly that he loved Christianity; it was Christians he hated. Frank Sheed, another Catholic writer, liked to compare Catholicism to the medicine needed for sanctity. If a person doesn’t take the medicine, if he instead washes it down the sink drain, the medicine can’t be blamed for not curing him. Catholicism must be judged by those who take their medicine, not by those who claim to have it in their medicine cabinet but refuse to take it.

2. The only reason to be Catholic is because it is the religion founded by Jesus Christ, the Way, the Truth, and the Life; in short, one becomes Catholic because Catholicism is true. The behavior of others may discourage us; but we are not Catholic for their sakes, only for Christ’s. If that is the basis of our faith, perhaps Christ can use us to help in the conversion of those whose behavior discourages us. I recommend the following article as a further explanation of this point:

A Crisis of Saints by Fr. Roger Landry

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.