Why are children considered a blessing and a gift from God?

That sounds negative, but it’s not supposed to be.
Thanks.

The foundational reason is because in the Bible, fertility and babies are always seen as a blessing. Conversely, infertility is a curse. Don't have the verses off-hand, but I know it starts with the command to be fruitful and multiply and then on with Sarah and then to Rachel and Leah, then Elizabeth and Hannah, etc. Hope that helps.

ETA: Found this link via Google: openbible.info/topics/children_being_a_blessing

That'll give you a listing of verses which support/illustrate children being a blessing from God. the Bible translation is protestant, but at least this'll give you the references and you can look them up in any Bible you want. :)

[quote="HeWillProvide, post:1, topic:196059"]
That sounds negative, but it's not supposed to be.
Thanks.

[/quote]

Fertility is a gift to living creatures which is part of the nature of God, Himself. God wants His creation to likewise be creative.

(Fortunately bearing offspring is not the *only *way we can be creative. So those who cannot/should not bear offspring also have opportunities to be creative.)

Everything on this earth is a gift from God in the context of Christianity

Just an opinion...

Babies are created by a man, a woman, and God. If He did not participate, they would not exist.

I think they are considered a blessing because that usually comes in the context that the parents wanted them and the kids are healthy.

Sadly, some kids come into the world to an unwed mother who either doesn't want them or is not capable of caring for them. Some kids are unhealthy and there is a big burden on the family and the other kids have a harder childhood with limitations.

Honestly, I do think that in todays society having large families is a lot harder. Which is why I think people who do have many kids will have that many more graces in Heaven than the ones who had large families 200 years ago

CM

WOW! You must not have children. Or if you do. Please seek help. Seriously, if you need an explanation on how children are a blessing and you have them, wow. I have two children and they break my heart. Every time they smile, or get another tooth. Because I want them to stay small so I can enjoy them longer. I am saddened that childhood does not last 40 years. Playing outside, learning in school, high fiving and ice cream treats for acing spelling tests. And the most incredible joy. Teaching them about our faith. The sweetest sound in the world is a two year old saying grace before a meal. And a proud moment for a parent is a son who wants to 'help usher' at mass. So me and my 7 year old usher Mass now. Sheer joy to be parent. But, they tug at your hearstrings.

[quote="JerrySeibert, post:7, topic:196059"]
WOW! You must not have children. Or if you do. Please seek help. Seriously, if you need an explanation on how children are a blessing and you have them, wow. I have two children and they break my heart. Every time they smile, or get another tooth. Because I want them to stay small so I can enjoy them longer. I am saddened that childhood does not last 40 years. Playing outside, learning in school, high fiving and ice cream treats for acing spelling tests. And the most incredible joy. Teaching them about our faith. The sweetest sound in the world is a two year old saying grace before a meal. And a proud moment for a parent is a son who wants to 'help usher' at mass. So me and my 7 year old usher Mass now. Sheer joy to be parent. But, they tug at your hearstrings.

[/quote]

Jerry, no, I do not have children..
Note: I'm not saying they're NOT a blessing.
I'm just asking a "why" question.
WHY are they a blessing - sounds bad, but again, it is just a "why" question.
Like, why is the sky blue?
That doesn't mean that I don't like that the sky is blue - I'm just asking "why".

[quote="HeWillProvide, post:8, topic:196059"]
Jerry, no, I do not have children..
Note: I'm not saying they're NOT a blessing.
I'm just asking a "why" question.
WHY are they a blessing - sounds bad, but again, it is just a "why" question.
Like, why is the sky blue?
That doesn't mean that I don't like that the sky is blue - I'm just asking "why".

[/quote]

For many, many reasons...
They open up your heart to *new *ways of loving another human being. Until you, yourself, are *entirely *responsible for care and upbringing of a newly-created human being it's difficult to fathom, but this "opening of your heart" is an enormous blessing...
Also, the pure, innocent joys that come along with seeing them grow (physically, mentally, spiritually)... beyond belief!

We’re told explicitly in Scripture that children are a blessing from God. One line in Psalms even say, “Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them”, the “them” being children.

[quote="HeWillProvide, post:1, topic:196059"]
That sounds negative, but it's not supposed to be.
Thanks.

[/quote]

Children are the continuation of the human race into the next generation. They carry our memories, our stories, and our way of life into the future, and in their turn, pass all these things down to their children.

Thanks for the answers.
However, "because God said they are a blessing" is akin (to me) to a parent explaining to his child,
"Because I said so!"
In other words, while I understand they are a blessing because God "said so," I'm still looking for, I guess, more concrete details/reasons, perhaps from parents themselves...
thank you!

Or maybe ask someone who can’t have children. Go hang out in the infertility thread for a while. :slight_smile:

Explaining why children are blessings is like trying to explain why a sunset is beautiful.

Really? Wow. That’s, well, a different line of thinking that I’m used to. I view this not as a parent saying “Because I said so”, but more like asking Einstein to explain why time warps in a black-hole. I lack the fundemental ability to understand the concepts he’s talking about; I’m not really able to do the math and even if he explained it in complete detail, I’d soon lose interest. So, perhaps he gives me an analogy that gives me some idea of what he means, but on my level. I have to trust he knows what he’s talking about.

That is the same view I take on God telling us that the children He gives us are blessings. Asking a parent is just getting anectodal stories.

Because with God, you created life. And its a blessing because not everyone gets to automatically create life, its not a given that just because you want to have a child that you can have a child. Its not like buying a car, or a house, you just can’t create it on your own. You can’t run to the grocery store to get a kid like you do when you run out of milk. And when you do create that life, that baby, each is so unique, never to be duplicated again. Each life, each baby, gives back to the parents in ways you can never imagine until you become a parent. They will be there to point out to you all your strengths and all your flaws. You will relive parts of your own childhood that you have long forgotten. Your child will teach you things about your own parents that you never would have realized if you had never become a parent.

What better way is there to spread the faith?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.