Why are more women in Detroit becoming nuns?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums so I hope I'm doing this right.

I found this local news story and I'm curious about why people decide to become a nun.

Local Nunnery Reports Rise In New Sisters

Feel free to comment back on this thread or on the article.

Dear TV Guy,

Welcome! We are glad you are here!

Truly, I think the answer to your question lies with our Lord and His dear Mother. Cloistered nuns live a prayerful, contemplative life and God motivates and touches people when He needs them most. I believe His gracious mercy has touched many women to serve in a prayerful (rather than "political") way.

I will be curious to read what others have to say.....

It could be that these woman see Muslim women (high numbers of which live in Detroit) dressed modestly, and think, "Why can't we Christian women dress as modestly? Oh, wait, the nuns!"

[quote="DetroitTVGuy, post:1, topic:249084"]
Hi everyone,

I found this local news story and I'm curious about why people decide to become a nun.

[/quote]

Hi TVGuy,

In general, young ladies become nuns for sheer love of Jesus Christ, and because they believe He is calling them personally to a special spousal relationship. Orders like the one featured are attractive because they promise, by their dynamic growth and faithful living of the religious life, to assist these young women to fulfil their precious vocations.

That is the best I can offer. No doubt, one of the young women who are in this convent or in another growing, faithful order can answer better than I.

God Bless,
Joan

Joining a holy order is probably alot safer than doing almost anything else in Detroit! :p

I think it is awesome!! I wish more young women in the rest of the country would join.

[quote="hammondcrazy, post:6, topic:249084"]
I think it is awesome!! I wish more young women in the rest of the country would join.

[/quote]

Hi Hammond,

You'll be happy to know that this is happening with very good number of orders, all over the country. More orthodox dioceses, which welcome more faithful and traditional orders, are having the greatest success. PM me if you'd like to know some specific examples.

God Bless,
Joan

Very insightful! Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Before I clicked on the link, I just knew it would be the Dominicans, although, I was expecting to see the Ann Arbor Dominicans. The Dominicans seem to be doing the best lately it seems.

Maybe because they hate Tigers or just Detroit men in general!

I doubt it has anything to do with Detroit per se. More traditional orders are getting more applicants nowadays, and the fact that this convent is in Detroit is probably only incidental. If it was in Cleveland, the result would probably be the same.

My son's wife has two sisters who are in a traditional order; full habit, the whole thing. They just amaze me. Young, attractive and talented women. One of them explained to me that she is a sister because she is not all that good a person inherently, and feels she needs the structure and prayer life the convent has to offer. She said the structure and prayer life free her to forget about herself the rest of the time so she can do for others. The two of them work with the poor in a metro area and counsel unmarried pregnant women. Apparently a good number of the sisters in that order are young, and the order is growing.

That was an interesting point of view.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:11, topic:249084"]
I doubt it has anything to do with Detroit per se. More traditional orders are getting more applicants nowadays, and the fact that this convent is in Detroit is probably only incidental. If it was in Cleveland, the result would probably be the same.

[/quote]

Oh, come on! It was a joke!

My son's wife has two sisters who are in a traditional order; full habit, the whole thing. They just amaze me. Young, attractive and talented women. One of them explained to me that she is a sister because she is not all that good a person inherently, and feels she needs the structure and prayer life the convent has to offer. She said the structure and prayer life free her to forget about herself the rest of the time so she can do for others. The two of them work with the poor in a metro area and counsel unmarried pregnant women. Apparently a good number of the sisters in that order are young, and the order is growing.

That was an interesting point of view.

This is all wonderful to hear.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:12, topic:249084"]
Oh, come on! It was a joke!

[/quote]

You know, I got to thinking about Detroit later, and I recall that there are some really traditional parishes there. My son used to attend one called "The Grotto" when he was there. Parishioners there are very traditional and seemingly very religious. Long, long confessional lines, for example.

I'm not saying the same thing doesn't appear in other cities, but there really might be a "core" of quite religious people there, from which vocations might come.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:13, topic:249084"]
You know, I got to thinking about Detroit later, and I recall that there are some really traditional parishes there. My son used to attend one called "The Grotto" when he was there. Parishioners there are very traditional and seemingly very religious. Long, long confessional lines, for example.

[/quote]

Hmm, maybe a visit to Detroit would not be a bad idea after all.

I'm not saying the same thing doesn't appear in other cities, but there really might be a "core" of quite religious people there, from which vocations might come.

That is certainly a possibility.

[quote="DetroitTVGuy, post:1, topic:249084"]
Hi everyone,

[/quote]

One of the Dominican monasteries made a novena to Blessed John Paul II (nine days of prayer for a specific intention) for more vocations in honor of the Dominican order's 800th anniversary, and they are slowly receiving them.

Detroit is close to my heart. Such great Catholic history there. I have a messenger bag from Sweetest Heart of Mary church, which I purchased online.

The Dominicans aren't the only cloister there. The Discalced Carmelites are in Clinton Township.

Blessings,
Cloisters

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.