Why are non-Catholic Baptisms valid?

Why is it that all of the sacraments of initiation, i.e. the Eucharist and Confirmation, except Baptism require a validly ordained priest? Why is a baptism performed even by a non-Catholic layperson considered valid?

The clergy are the ordinary ministers of baptism, but anyone can baptize when there is danger of death. Why? As baptism is ordinarily required for salvation, according to Christ, it must be readily available. For this reason, Protestant baptisms are valid even though they have no clergy in apostolic succession.

The ordinary minister of Confirmation is the bishop but he can delegate this to a priest. Consecration of the Eucharist requires a priest or bishop.

[quote="prodigalson2011, post:1, topic:298517"]
Why is it that all of the sacraments of initiation, i.e. the Eucharist and Confirmation, except Baptism require a validly ordained priest? Why is a baptism performed even by a non-Catholic layperson considered valid?

[/quote]

Actually baptisms by unbaptized persons are valid so long as the proper form and matter are used and the person who baptizes intends to do what the Church does.

Yes, baptism (also matrimony with some caveats) is different from other sacraments in that he who administers the sacrament does not need to have received the sacrament of Holy Orders.

Baptism is the primary sacrament of initiation. That makes it the most "important" since no other sacraments are possible without it. I don't know (let alone understand) all the theological reasons why it need not be an ordained man who administers the sacrament but I believe it has something to do with the sacrament's relationship to the unbaptized. The unbaptized can both receive and administer it. Our God is a good God because he has provided means by which the most important sacrament can be received even if no ordained persons are available.

*Our God is a good God because he has provided means by which the most important sacrament can be received even if no ordained persons are available. *

Yes, I liked that bit; especially the 'God is a good God'!

[quote="prodigalson2011, post:1, topic:298517"]

[/quote]

The seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit is given through the laying on of the hands, by the bishop or with the oil of Chrismation blessed by the bishop. This oil shows that the gift of the Spirit was given through the Apostles, and demonstrates that the successors are the bishops of the Church.

The Eucharist, which means thanksgiving, is both the Liturgy where the Body and Blood of Christ are confected and the Body and Blood of Christ. Holy Communion may be received from one other than a priest, but the confection is limited to a priest, because he acts as a duly appointed representative of Christ in his Church, continued through apostolic succession of the ordaining bishops.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.