Why are there no funerals for miscarriages?

i asked this of my mom, the family theologian, and she was fully stumped. usually we are able to have long conversations where i point out my problems with catholic doctrine, and she’s usually able to satisfy me that she’s not just following it out of blind duty - she’s a smart lady.

anyways - my inconsistency is this.

the catholic church asserts that life begins at conception. most religons seem to agree on that, and i assume it to be the reason for the catholic church’s vocal and activist stance on abortion.

so - why no funerals? a miscarriage is the ending of a life, according to the catholic church. how is the church equipped to see the embryo’s soul into heaven?

a devout catholic friend of mine answered “well, no sacrament of baptism, no funeral.” which seems like a reasonable answer - but it begs the question “why the activism?”

it seems extremely inconsistent for catholics to get emotional and devote so much time and energy to a stranger’s embryo but leave their own out of the sacrament and ceremony?

thanks for your time,
sean o’leary

Sean,

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on burying miscarried and aborted babies - in addition to information on when life begins. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Did John Paul II affirm that life begins at conception?
*]Why can’t miscarried babies receive funeral rites?
*]Another question on miscarriage **[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.