Why are there no prophets?

Why doesn’t God send anymore prophets? I feel that we can really use a prophet right now…

Today is the Feast Day of Our Lady, Mother and Queen.

From today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Come, let us worship Christ the King, who has crowned his own Mother.

Mid-morning reading (Terce) Daniel 6:27-28 ©
Our God is the living God, he endures for ever, his sovereignty will never be destroyed and his kingship never end. He saves, sets free, and works signs and wonders in the heavens and on earth.

Noon reading (Sext) Romans 15:5-7 ©
May God, who helps us when we refuse to give up, help you all to be tolerant with each other, following the example of Christ Jesus, so that united in mind and voice you may give glory to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It can only be to God’s glory, then, for you to treat each other in the same friendly way as Christ treated you.

Afternoon reading (None) Philippians 4:8,9 ©
My brothers, fill your minds with everything that is true, everything that is noble, everything that is good and pure, everything that we love and honour, and everything that can be thought virtuous or worthy of praise. Then the God of peace will be with you.

When we are bapized, we are all baptized as priests, prophets, and kings! As long as we are in Communion with the Church, we are all prophets! :thumbsup:

See vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html and search for the word “prophetic”.

Now, some prophets are famous, but most prophets seem to be not well knows. Perhaps it’s like the saints: some (few) are canonized, but most (probably the vast majority of the saints celebrated on All Saints’ Day) live or have lived their lives in obscurity.

Peace!

I guess you mean prophets as in the OT.
God gave us all we need, everything, by His Son Jesus. Jesus is His name, His word.
If we pray to The Holy spirit to get wisdom and knowledge, if we read the NT for faith and love, if we imitate Jesus in our lifetime, if we trust our church in its recommandations, holyness and faith fulness, why should we need Prophets?!
Peace and love!

I am praying about this.

I’m sharing with you prayers

Lord, help us be faithful to our baptism and make us true prophets when among our family, friends, and all our neighbors in general. Amen.

We have the Bible, the teachings of the Church, the Sacraments. The people of old didn’t have the Church or the Sacraments, or the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. With these we don’t need prophets, but to witness the gospel to others.

“*His commandments are these: that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ and that we love one another. Whoever keeps these commandments lives in God and God lives in him.” *[1John 3:2-3]

Amen

Tarek said:

I guess you mean prophets as in the OT.
God gave us all we need, everything, by His Son Jesus. Jesus is His name, His word.
If we pray to The Holy spirit to get wisdom and knowledge, if we read the NT for faith and love, if we imitate Jesus in our lifetime, if we trust our church in its recommandations, holyness and faith fulness, why should we need Prophets?!

Trishie said:

We have the Bible, the teachings of the Church, the Sacraments. The people of old didn’t have the Church or the Sacraments, or the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. With these we don’t need prophets, but to witness the gospel to others.

I agree with both of the above to a certain extent, but the person that began this thread was asking why we didn’t have “prophets” today and I think that was because the prophets in the old testament gave "personal and very specific advice to kings and others that needed guidance and it would be nice to have that sort of information today!

If you would read through the old testament you would understand where I am coming from. Our priests would be the first ones to tell you that they are not prophets in the strict sense of the word. Neither are we. BUT, God does call people to function in that calling, only many times we hear it coming from the most unlikely sources!

Amos, in the old testament was not a Levite, which was the priestly class set apart by God, but rather he was a herdsman that lived out in the fields with the stock; plus he also tended Sycamore trees! Nevertheless, the Lord called him forth for a very specific reason at a certain point in time in the history of the Israelites to deliver a specific message. The prophecies of Amos are a warning to the people of Israel that their corrupt religion and disregard for the poor would result in the destruction of the nation. It is a call for Israel to repent or face judgment.

Now keep in mind that Amos was just a regular person like you and me when he did what God called him to do, and God still uses regular people to issue warnings! Some of them are not even Catholic, but the prophecies are not Catholic or Protestant,…they are simply warnings to the people of God! If we are paying attention we will hear the things that God wants us to be aware of. In the Old Testament the people paid attention to the prophets and lived, or they ignored the prophets message and died.

Prophets, by their nature, can not be placed in a nice comfortable box. And neither can God. He calls who He will, not who we think might meet the necessary requirements!

For Catholics, people still do have the gift of prophecy. However, such revelations are always “private”. There is no new public revelation to be had that is binding on the entire world, as all was revealed in Jesus Christ.

The interesting thing is that the Mormon Church has a “prophet” as its head, and sees all of its apostles as “prophets, seers, and revelators”. They believe that the Church always needs prophets, since there were prophets in the Church in the New Testament. However, Mormon prophets are nothing like Biblical prophets, and don’t do much…prophesying today. The last revelation was when they opened up their priesthood to black males in 1978 (prior to that, blacks were not allowed to hold their priesthood, and also were denied from going to the temples, where they perform various sacred ordinances). Some actually see this:

lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=1aba862384d20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=e1fa5f74db46c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

as a prophecy, yet I see nothing new in it. :rolleyes:

So, pray to God if you need guidance. Ask your brethren to pray for you as well. We no longer need prophets, however you can still receive personal revelation from God.

God can raise up a prophet or prophets if He needs to. But consider what you’d be asking a prophet to do today.

First of all he’d have to point to the divisions in the Church.

Then he’d have to point to divisions between Churches, with the most powerful nation in the world being basically Protesant, and tell them to reunify with the Catholic Church.

Then he’d have to contend with the Moslems.

And if he managed to survive all that, he’d then have to contend with the politicians who’d want him to do their personal bidding and carry out their personal policies.

Finally he’d probably have to confront the anti-Christ, whom I think is around today.

If you want to fill the role, step right up. If God has got His eye on someone, and they’ve got a susupicion they might be expected to fill the role, they’re probably trying as hard as they can to get out of it.

Bob Crowly said:

God can raise up a prophet or prophets if He needs to. But consider what you’d be asking a prophet to do today.

First of all he’d have to point to the divisions in the Church.

Then he’d have to point to divisions between Churches, with the most powerful nation in the world being basically Protesant, and tell them to reunify with the Catholic Church.

Then he’d have to contend with the Moslems.

And if he managed to survive all that, he’d then have to contend with the politicians who’d want him to do their personal bidding and carry out their personal policies.

Finally he’d probably have to confront the anti-Christ, whom I think is around today.

If you want to fill the role, step right up. If God has got His eye on someone, and they’ve got a susupicion they might be expected to fill the role, they’re probably trying as hard as they can to get out of it.

Bob,
First of all, God always equips the person that He calls. It is not something that you can prepare for in a certain manner. If He wants something done, you had better believe that He is able to get someone ready to do it! *And as far as getting out of it goes; remember Jonah? He went in the opposite direction so that He could get out of it and you know what happened to him! * So, in the end he ended up doing exactly what God wanted done! :thumbsup:

Maybe so, but it would still be a tall order. As I said, the first thing any proposed prophet would have to address would be the divisions in the Catholic Church eg. Right versus Left wings. Then the business of the Protestant division would be the second issue. For this reason, if God was going to raise up world shaking prophets, I think he’d need to raise two of them - one for the Protestant side, and one for the Orthodox.

After that, when the Moslems saw the divine power working through the two of them, they’d want them to join them. When they refused, the Moslems would declare a Fatwa on the pair of them.

Thereafter the politicians would want the power in their hands, to carry out their policies. Having refused, the secular world would then use its power against them. You’d probably find the intelligence services even taking a close interest.

And as I said, since I believe the anti-Christ is around today (a political figure), that would be their final nemesis.

I wouldn’t like the job. And these days with satellite imaging, GPS, cashless societies, etc. you’d need more than a boat going to Tarshish to get out of it.

Any volunteers out there?

Bob said:

Maybe so, but it would still be a tall order. As I said, the first thing any proposed prophet would have to address would be the divisions in the Catholic Church eg. Right versus Left wings. Then the business of the Protestant division would be the second issue. For this reason, if God was going to raise up world shaking prophets, I think he’d need to raise two of them - one for the Protestant side, and one for the Orthodox.

After that, when the Moslems saw the divine power working through the two of them, they’d want them to join them. When they refused, the Moslems would declare a Fatwa on the pair of them.

Thereafter the politicians would want the power in their hands, to carry out their policies. Having refused, the secular world would then use its power against them. You’d probably find the intelligence services even taking a close interest.

And as I said, since I believe the anti-Christ is around today (a political figure), that would be their final nemesis.

I wouldn’t like the job. And these days with satellite imaging, GPS, cashless societies, etc. you’d need more than a boat going to Tarshish to get out of it.

Any volunteers out there?

Dear Bob,

Anyone reading this list would think that you had inner circle dealings with the Sovereign God, Himself! I mean, from that long list above, it sounds like you seem to think that you KNOW what HE would have a prophet do. I hate to burst your bubble, Bob, but only God knows what He plans to do and I seriously doubt that He needs you there to be sure that He doesn’t make a mistake.!

DesertSister62

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.