Why Are we Catholics Hated so Much?

They say so many untrue things about us Catholics. I wish they would be honest about their hatred for Christ.

This is how many of them portray us. I wish we could put an end to this.

“Rapture Forums” has a section called " Ecumenism & Roman Catholicism."
Should I even try to convert these people to Catholicism ?

I spent about 2 months of my life thinking the pope was the antichrist. I start RCIA this week, so I think it’s worth trying

I think that, generally, people hate Catholicism, not Catholics. They hate the religion, not the people. At least, that is my experience. And I don’t think they hate Christ, I think that they think they’re standing up for what is right. I was one of those people who hated Catholicism at one point. I hated it because I thought it was this evil entity that was leading so many people to Hell. I never hated actual Catholics, and I thought I was doing a good service to Christ by speaking about my hatred for Catholicism.

No. If they want to learn about Catholicism, they’re free to come to a Catholic site such as Catholic Answers Forums. Trying to convert them there would be like trying to invade a foreign territory whilst vastly outnumbered. They won’t take you seriously. Invite them to learn about it, but don’t try to convert them.

The reason so many people hate Catholicism is because they believe false things about Catholicism. They think we teach things that are clearly against the Gospel, and we really don’t. The best way to dispell the hatred is to politely educate those who have such misconceptions about the faith without being pushy, inviting them to learn about the faith, and living out the Gospel while being open (but not forcefully open) about being Catholic.

It does seem like they do know that Chris founded the Catholic Church even though they will claim He didn’t.

Good Catholics make people around them feel more guilty, for God had written His laws in everyone’s hearts.

Maybe share this with them:

The most difficult thing for me is when I clearly show them what the Catholic teaches they still claim what I am saying is not true. How can a Protestant not believe the historical evidence for Christ having founded the Catholic Church?

The Catholic Church/Faith has the TRUTH and some people just don’t want to hear the truth.

Beat me to it!

If they will not listen to a Catholic about what Catholics believe, it is possible that nothing you say can change their mind and the only thing left to do is be gracious and pray for them, then agree to disagree and walk away from the conversation. Remember to be patient when people make false accusations. I know it’s easy to get super frustrated and want to yell when people keep insisting things that just aren’t true and you know it (or at least it’s easy for me), but being impatient might only confirm their false ideas about Catholics and Catholicism. It is important to always act and respond with grace (something we all struggle with, especially me).

GREAT minds think alike. :slight_smile:

You are right. It is very difficult to deal with them when they want confirmed in their error.

Why stay on that group? Work on letting Gods light shine through you in real life, amongst friends and family.

Find catholic groups. Join Catholic youth groups or if older, other ministries in your Parish.

No, not at this point , because what they say and how they act is upsetting you. Also, it’s very difficult on social media. We don’t know how genuine others are.

I am sure they love Christ. And are passionate about God.

If you are patient and gracious toward the accusers, that will be a great spiritual exercise and it will help you to love more deeply. On the other hand, being impatient might only push them further away. So it is very important to maintain peace. :slight_smile:

“If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine.”

• Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

I am proving that the Catholic Church has more power than Protestantism.

That’s an error on your part. It’s pride and ego. God is mercy and forgiveness. We are not about who has power. If Jesus wanted to prove that, when he was taunted on the cross, dying, in extreme pain, he would have.
Take that example

I believe you should step back and work on you. Emptying yourself to the will of God.

I always though it should be just as easy as showing them the truth.

Rapture forums will ban you as soon as they find out you’re Catholic. Trust me, I’ve been there. They used to be more tolerant of Catholics (though in my case, all that did was lead me into heresy, which took a while to get out of). Enlightening the ignorant is a great spiritual work of mercy, but I caution you that they are unlikely to give you a chance, and if you are not secure in your Catholic faith, entering their territory is spiritually dangerous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.