¿¿Why are we put on this planet?

I wanted to know your guy;s thoughts of why we are here

To know, love and serve God in this world and to be happy with Him in the next. Jeopardy style, the question is: Why did God make me? as to why this planet rather than another, because it can support human life.

Is this a planet (i.e., wanderer)?

¿¿Why are we put on this planet??

OK, here’s my take on this question.

God, who is, with immeasurable power and knowledge, a spiritual being outside of time and space, chose to create the confined dimensions of a physical world in which to create each of us as physical and spiritual beings. We given the freedom to choose to seek and love our Creator via our spiritual nature, or seek to gratify ourselves via our physical nature.

Our presence as humans capable of linear thought on this 3rd rock from the sol is merely one of more than 100 billion ways God could have created us. We could have been created as some form of physical and spiritual zorg-rock beings on Pluto, or pure energy beings in some other bizarre electro-nerdo-dimension, but I figure that somehow the ability and freedom to choose on some level (in the image and likeness of God) would still be a part of our nature.

-Tim

This is like question #2 in the Baltimore Catechism. Why did God make me? The answer given is 4 fold. God made me 1. to know him, 2. to love him 3. to serve him. and 4. To be with him in heaven when I die. We cannot know God unless we seek him. The more we seek him, the more we know him. The more we know him, the more we love him. The more we love him, the more we want to serve him. (kind of like our caring for and doing for our spouses whom we love) And finally, to be with him in heaven. St Paul in his epistle to the Corinthians says in I Cor. 2:9 "Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it so much as dawned on man what God has prepared for those who love him".
Deacon Ed B

A.M.D.G. Or - Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, “For the Greater Glory of God”.

Specifically, for the glory of Christ, that the Father may be glorified. :slight_smile:

This planet is in the center of the Universe. It has been calculationed by CalTech to be a force zero point in the universe. In other words they analized all known forces in the universe and the earth turned out to be where all the forces canceled to zero.

Being on the planet which is at force zero location gives us a very stable location to know, love and serve God.

This is very interesting! Could you cite your source for this please? I’d like to read up on their analysis in support of this.

Ummm… support please?

This is a type of question which requires a lifetime to answer and needs to be continually re-examined.

Citation or retraction required.

I bet we don’t get either.

Alec
evolutionpages.com

CCC 1 - God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Savior. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

CCC 2 - So that this call should resound throughout the world, Christ sent forth the apostles he had chosen, commissioning them to proclaim the gospel: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” Strengthened by this mission, the apostles “went forth and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by the signs that attended it.”

Source(s):
The Life of Man—To Know and Love God (Catechism Of The Catholic Church):
usccb.org/catechism/text/prologue.htm

Reading your question and the previous posts prompts me to ask this question.

If you take God out of the picture, as atheists and all others who reject Him do, why are we here?

In a universe where there is no life on any other planet (that we know of at this time), and on this planet all things eventually die, what’s the point, where is the sense in life itself? Is self-perpetuation only for its own sake, even logical? How can living for nothing more than its own sake with nothing beyond the grave be logical? One poster said that the question needed to be continually re-examined. If there is no God, and nothing beyond this life on this planet, what re-examination is needed? Your question has only two logical answers. That life is either essentially pointless, or it has an eternal point to it.

Thank you pharoahogc for asking the question. By looking at it from this viewpoint, it makes the existence of God, and the desire to live with Him, all the more logical, at least to me…

…Unless of course, we (earth) are merely a giant cosmic video game for some vastly superior civilization. But then again, where would they have come from …?

If we take God out of the picture, as atheists do, we would not be here and would not then have to worry about it.
Deacon Ed B

Above All—Charity:slight_smile:

To conclude this Prologue, it is fitting to recall this pastoral principle stated by the Roman Catechism:
“The whole concern of doctrine and its teaching must be directed to the love that never ends. Whether something is proposed for belief, for hope or for action, the love of our Lord must always be made accessible, so that anyone can see that all the works of perfect Christian virtue spring from love and have no other objective than to arrive at love.” :love:

Is The Theory of Evolution mandatory for the modern worldview

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.