Why Are You a Catholic?

If you had to put your thoughts into a paragraph or a very short essay, what would be the most important reasons you would give for why you are a Catholic rather than a Protestant, a Hindu, a Buddhist, a Muslim, or an Atheist?

I think if we cannot give a succinct answer to that question, we have no real handle on who we are.

We talked about this tonight at our class on the Compendium of the Catholic Church.

Our groups listed:

Eucharist / Confession
Church that Christ instituted
Traditions built on the Apostles
Guidance from a central body (Pope, Council of Bishops)
Connection in Spirit to the Communion of Saints
Honoring the BVMary
Spiritual Connection to a solid practice of Sacraments
Theology of Catholic Salvation History

I am Catholic because there is something deep in my soul that tells me that God is real. That sense and spirit that stirs deep inside me drove to the search for the source or reason for the feeling. That search lead me to hear the witness of other Christians who preached Jesus’s name to me and showed me the Word. When I studied the Word I found many references to the Church being the Body of Christ. When I studied the history of that Church, I was led to the church fathers, who led me to the apostles who point me to Christ. The only place I have ever found that kind of continuity is in Catholicism.

So here I am.

Fullness of Christ:thumbsup:

I am a Catholic because…

1. I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
2. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
3. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
4. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
5. He descended to the dead.. On the third day he rose again.
6. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
7. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
8. I believe in the Holy Spirit,
9. the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints,
10. the forgiveness of sins,
11. the resurrection of the body,
12. and life everlasting.

Amen! :smiley:

I am Catholic because throughout the last 3 years of spiritual discernment, I have found that the Church is sound, and I trust the Institution that Christ Jesus left on Earth to help guide his flock. Each and every single doctrine and dogma and teaching has had common, moral, and ethical sense to me, and I find that ultimately, I can put my trust and my faith on the Bulwark and Pillar of Truth.

100% my thoughts, including the amount of time I spent for my spiritual discernment.

Are you my second account that I don’t know about?

Because I believe that Jesus was truly God, and I believe the gospels are accurate. Sola scriptura is untenable, which eliminates almost all Protestant denominations. I have no strong objection to the Orthodox churches, although a few points put Catholicism out front for me. Throw in a Eucharistic miracle and some incredible, uniquely Catholic, experiences, and the deal is sealed.

because Jesus Christ died for my sins, rose again and brings me eternal life.

puzzleannie

*because Jesus Christ died for my sins, rose again and brings me eternal life. *

That sure 'nuff is succinct! :thumbsup:

Perhaps there would be more action in this thread if I had asked two questions.

Why are you a Catholic?

Why are you not a Catholic?

:smiley:

I converted as an adult. I came by choice. I came into the RCC because I felt the call of God to do so. So many things happened that pulled me in that direction. It was a definite leading.

Well, I’m not officially a member of the Church yet but I consider myself Catholic because:

#1- I found that I believed in God and Jesus Christ.
#2- I also believe 100% of what is in the Nicene Creed.

I also believe that the Catholic Church is (as stated in the Creed), the true version of the Church as passed down from the Apostles. I don’t know that Catholism is the only church accepted by God but I do think that it was the church that Jesus had envisioned and started.

Not to mention that most other Christian Churches seem vary fragmented and disorganized which doesn’t jive with me either from a personality standpoint.

I guess what it comes down to for me is that once I found faith, I decided that the best church was the one I felt was started by Jesus and carried on by Apostles. People may argue that it isn’t true but the bible seems to make it pretty clear, IMO (and some pretty great scholars). But in the end, I also just really like the Church I go to as well.

If you ask “Why are you not a Catholic?” you are just going to end in a discussion like any other that you can find over in the non-Catholic religion forum…
Those questions usually lead to a main topic with about a dozen side topics ranging anywhere from Absolution to Zwingli, facing off in the areas of Mariology, Dogmatic theology, some Moral Theology, Theology of the Sacraments, Theology of the Church, while focusing on the Bible as main resource.

I wouldn’t suggest doing that.

Janet

*I wouldn’t suggest doing that. *

Point well taken. :thumbsup:

I am a Catholic because in it I found the truth about God and the nature of man. Many faiths wrestle with this two issues, but none other actually knows who God really is and how man relates to him.

I also like the Catholic Church’s advocacy of logic.

Only in Catholicism do you find Faith through Reason instead of Reason through Faith.

Because I believe it is the Church that Jesus Himself started. I believe that it is the Church Jesus intended to last until He comes again.

I’m Catholic because of logic. There is sufficient evidence that God exists, and sufficient evidence to demonstrate that the Catholic Church is His creation.

In all honesty I’m a Catholic because that’s what I was born into and my mother told me if I ever switched from the Catholic church I would go to hell. I did consider becoming Jewish! I have great respect for Chabad.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.