Why are you here?

After reading several threads where new members had appeared and started arguing with the tenets of the faith, espousing themselves to be Catholics but yet tearing down elements of the Church, I wondered why people find CAF and why they stay. I don't know that the atheists, agnostics and trolls will answer this thread honestly, but I'm curious as to how and why people found CAF and why you stay and post.

For me, I was doing searches for a place where I could talk about my "unequally yoked" marriage. My husband and I were having a lot of problems and our Christian counseling wasn't helping much, if at all. I also need a forum where I can talk about all the joys I find within my faith, because I can't share that with my husband. And when I found CAF and joined, I also found a place where I can learn about the Church, since I missed a lot of catechism growing up. For example, I didn't know that using an Ouija Board is a mortal sin (divination, talking to the dead) nor did I fully realize that certain sexual acts are also mortal sins. So I have now confessed more of my sins and am working on changing things so I don't continue to sin.

I also hope my experience can help others. I've made a lot of mistakes over the years, especially when I believed that I was running my own life. I didn't have a whole lot of guidance and NO religious role models since my father had converted to marry my mother, and when she passed away when I was 10, he stopped going to church. Daddy was a good man, a very loving person, but he didn't really father me or my sister. So if I can serve as an example of what NOT to do, it will at least mean those empty and painful years when I was turned away from God, will not have been without meaning.

So, if you don't mind, would you share why YOU came here, how you found CAF and why you stay? And especially if you aren't a Catholic...What do you get from being on this forum?

It’s been so long I don’t remember how I found this site! :slight_smile:

As for reasons why I stay -
I like being part of an online community where I don’t have to argue with people about what I believe. And because being Catholic is what I AM, not something I just do, it colors every aspect of my life.

For the most part I find it a friendly place, if you pick and choose what discussions to get into and when to leave. :wink:

~Liza

I was trying to figure out where I fit in, if at all, in this church. After all, after the sin of abortion, the Church would NEVER accept me, right? Then I found that not only did I belong, but I began to truly grow within RCIA.

CAF has helped me to see that there is room for me in the Church.

my reasons is i wish too talk with fellow Catholics :slight_smile:

I like it here. It's taught me to make my arguments with charity, as much as my dreadful nature can accommodate. :D

Iz not a troll. But I do notice a great increase in trollery recently---and not just on this board.

There's something in the water.... :eek:

One day after a truly traumatic experience the Holy Spirit kicked me in the heart and told me to join the Catholic Church. I was never resistent to the idea (despite being anti-Catholic just hours before the kick) but I did hesitate to talk to my loved ones (who could have answered my questions) so instead I loaded this webpage which my Catholic brother-in-law had given me years back(somehow I remembered it all this time later! A minor miracle, trust me). I came in a frenzy seeking help.

I didn't understand the Church AT ALL. I didn't trust anyone, didn't KNOW anyone from the Catholic Church here. I didn't understand a great deal and so I spent my time here finding leads on how to find the truth. Eventually I met people outside the internet who could answer my questions but honestly the answers they gave were wholly inadequate and/or outright wrong.

I stay because I still have lots to learn and I haven't found a trustworthy source of information outside of all of my sources put together. :shrug:

I don’t remember how I found this place, but I think it was pretty close to its beginning. Maybe I heard about it on the radio, or maybe some other way online? I was seeking “Orthodox” Catholic Communities online, and this presented itself. Unfortunately, the flavor of the board is less “orthodox” than Catholic Answers’ other apostolates (is that the right word?). I suppose this is because it is open to everyone (understandably), and while there are limits about discussing medical issues, there don’t seem to be limits on people who might come here purely to contradict the faith or to advise people to ignore the faith. In addition, threads can get extremely heated very quickly. Those combined make me unlikely to seek advice here very often. I come because the discussions are interesting, and I think I have something valuable to say now and then. In particular, new or discerning homeschoolers often start out asking questions here, and I want to encourage them as much as possible because I am passionate about that topic.

I’ve often wondered why non-Catholics who are not considering conversion would want to post here regularly. Interesting question.

I’m here because my job allows me to be online all day! :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, you meet great people here. I’ve met three people in real life, and all three have developed into close friendships.

I can’t remember how I found it…

I found it when I was researching something to do with apologetics. It’s been a while. I stay – though I go through cycles of posting-not posting – because it is a place where I can read about what other Catholics go through. I am a convert, as is my husband, and our families are Protestant for generations in every direction. My parents are actually Protestant missionaries, and my younger sister and their husband joined their mission. We get no Catholic encouragement outside ourselves, and the Catholic community where I live is … limited. There are the Japanese Catholics who live relatively near us, but they are still Japanese. We are not “accepted” as potential friends. We have not met through accepted channels, so we cannot be friends. The other foreign Catholics all live downtown, which is quite far from us, over an hour one way, and they are all … rich. Really rich. The things they like to do, as well as their experiences, are not things we can afford to do or relate to.

So I’m here.

I'm new here and might be seen as one of those argumentative people. I guess I joined, after reading for a long time, because I'm interested in why people do anything in an extreme way. I love TV shows about people who take things like plastic surgery, couponing, collecting, fitness, childbearing, frugality, pet ownership, etc. to the extreme. I find it fascinating. We all do it with one thing or another from time to time. I guess I find CAF an interesting microcosm of people who are very, very into Catholicism.

I love being a Catholic but I've never met people like some of the posters here - and I've been practicing and attending Mass regularly for over 30 years! Part of this site makes me feel like I don't know anything about my religion and like maybe every single person in the world is going to Hell. Part of it is inspiring and makes me feel like there are really loving, faith-filled people out there.

I NEVER understood what people meant by "Catholic Guilt" until I started reading here. Now, I know! Boy, do I know!

May God Bless!

I actually came here by way of EWTN…Michelle Arnold answers questions on their site., and sometimes links to here, the “Ask the apologist section”

I normally hang out in family life or parenting…and was worried about doing apologetics…I didn’t think I was qualified for that.

But I do venture into apologetics at times, and try to always present the truth…I guess sometimes I fail…quite recently someone said “I was the straw that broke the camels back” and caused him to question the Church and judge (me I guess) as judgmental.

I never have any intention to be judgmental, honestly. I just wish to explain the Church as well as I can.

The fact that I could cause someone to lose faith, actually bothers me a great deal…I would never wish that or want that. :(:frowning:

Ah well…maybe I need a break.:frowning:

[quote="heathernoel, post:3, topic:240968"]
I was trying to figure out where I fit in, if at all, in this church. After all, after the sin of abortion, the Church would NEVER accept me, right? Then I found that not only did I belong, but I began to truly grow within RCIA.

CAF has helped me to see that there is room for me in the Church.

[/quote]

I am SO GLAD you are here!!! Of course there is room for you in the Church, and if our leaders weren't so afraid to address this issue from the pulpit, more women and men just like you would know that there is forgiveness for what seems to you to be unforgivable. Did you know that one of the pioneers of abortion, Dr. Bernard Nathanson, who was an atheist Jew, eventually converted to Catholicism? I forget how many babies he had aborted before he finally realized what he had done, but he had even aborted one of his OWN children. :eek:

I do not find it surprising that a lot of ex-abortion workers convert. So did Norma McCorvey, the Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade. She never did have an abortion but she ran an abortion clinic for years.

God bless you Heathernoel.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:11, topic:240968"]
I actually came here by way of EWTN...Michelle Arnold answers questions on their site., and sometimes links to here, the "Ask the apologist section"

I normally hang out in family life or parenting....and was worried about doing apologetics.....I didn't think I was qualified for that.

But I do venture into apologetics at times, and try to always present the truth....I guess sometimes I fail....quite recently someone said "I was the straw that broke the camels back" and caused him to question the Church and judge (me I guess) as judgmental.

I never have any intention to be judgmental, honestly. I just wish to explain the Church as well as I can.

The fact that I could cause someone to lose faith, actually bothers me a great deal...I would never wish that or want that. :(:(

Ah well...maybe I need a break.:(

[/quote]

Please do not take that on as your own. He's an adult, although in rebellion, and has his own problems. If someone on an internet forum can really affect one's life to that extent, then to my mind, intervention is needed. Some people really resist the truth in whatever form it is offered. You did not cause that person to lose his faith.

When I converted I was living in the Middle East (well, I still am, in fact); because I converted from Anglicanism I didn't attend the full RCIA course, in fact most of my classes it was just me and the RCIA director, and as his style was more suited to lecturing to a large group who seldom asked questions, well, it was a very different kind of experience.

I found myself to be a Catholic, but still full of questions and not sure who I could ask. Our priests are very busy and my questions did not seem, to me, urgent enough to take time from them. I went searching on the internet and found this site.

Here I am, still learning and enjoying fellowship with Catholics, and others.

I found it when I was coming back to the Catholic Church. I needed some knowledge to talk to my Protestant friends. This site has helped me immensely in learning what the Church teaches and how people outside the Church view things.

There is a fervor for the Church that I find inspiring in these various threads among the many forums.

I joined awhile back because of my use of Catholic Answers tracts by Karl Keating for RCIA discussion. They are priceless in the true sense of the word. I dropped off the map for a bit because I did not find people taking things seriously…or maybe too seriously, like the talk about the TLM versus the Novus Ordo.

I came back because of my interest in RCIA. I am heart-broken by the tales of ineffectual teaching, mostly because of inadequate training. If I can help just one person persevere through their troubles with becoming Catholic, I will be satisfied.

But then, I often offer my two cents’ worth on other subjects, some which I know about, and some where I am learning…yep, at my age, still learning about the Church!

I think I found CA when I was in RCIA, and a little later joined CAF. I didn't use it much at first but I re-discovered it a while ago and now I'm on every day. I don't have any Catholic friends so I like having a place I can come to when I have questions and curiosities.

I joined to try to get answers to some questions I’ve had about our amazing Catholic religion and obtain some suggestions to help my sacramental Catholic marriage become stronger when things were especially rough with it and I felt like I was at wit’s end. The site has done all of that for me, and I’m very happy to have found it. There are so many caring, supportive members here who truly want to help in the very best way. Of course there are others who either may be trolling or definitely don’t hold true to Catholic teachings and don’t give very good advice at times, but I’ve found the terrific members far outnumber those, so I try to just ignore the slim minority (as with life in general sometimes!).

It’s so wonderful to hear accounts such as the one in this thread about being welcomed into our Church after an abortion. The angels must be smiling about that!

This is an interesting thread.

When Im here (admittedly it is not as often as others) it is because I am a cradle catholic and so feel a certain amount of comfort around other catholics. I feel like many christians I come across in real life are protestant, which is fine in itself, except that I m referring to the evangelistic, born-again, fire and brimstone variety who sometimes lead me to get exasperated with christianity - I feel interacting with catholics helps put things in perspective.

I m not going to lie, I have plenty of issues with the Church, and even dissent on certain things, however I notice that when protestants and non-christians insult catholics and catholicism, I always feel offended and compelled to defend it as much as I can. I suppose it is like a family, I have issues with mine and sometimes dont want to be physically around them, however only I can insult them, not non-family members.:smiley:

Another reason I come here, is to help dispel some ridiculous stereotypes people have about things - such as about liberal feminist vegetarians, who seem to to be the ultimate symptom of evil according to some :shrug:

All in all it seems like many on this site are good natured folks, who for the most part are alright especially those who are willing to debate properly.

I joined because I wanted information about ACTS retreats and this was where I found it. I stayed for some of the same reasons as lizanne below.

I also stay for the same reason as JaneGrey:

I guess the following applies a bit, though I recognize that everyone who frequents this site is not Catholic and that there is disagreement among Catholics here.

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn’t you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they’re always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name. "…

Blue quoted from Cheers theme song here: answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080212202624AAWLmjd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.