Why Aren't the Prophets Granted Sainthood?

I was wondering why, at least in the Roman Catholic Church, nobody from the Old Testament has ever been canonized a saint. It seems that we don’t give nearly the same focus to folks like Moses, Abraham, Noah, Elijah, etc. as we do the Saints of the Church.

The only thing that I can think of is that the Saints lived and practiced Christianity whereas the Prophets didn’t. Anyone know the real answer?

The real answer is that even though the holy ones of the Old Testament are not formally canonized by the Church, they are still, in practice often, recognized as such.

Thus, while there is, as far as I know, no Feast Day of St. Daniel in the Roman rite, there *is *a St. Daniel the Prophet Catholic Church here in the Phoenix area and probably other places as well.

The Eastern Churches do have Feast Days for the Holy Patriarchs and Prophets of the Old Testament.

And, the Feast of Adam and Eve in the Latin Rite is 25 December.

I know of a St. Elias.

According to my calendar tommorrow [December 20] is the feast of the Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

But are they considered saints, at least within the Roman (Western) Catholic Church? If they are, is there a reason that we don’t address them as such like we do St. Peter for instance.

In the Latin Church, the title “saint” in the formal sense (outside of the more sweeping use in the New Testament) was originally applied to the martyrs who died for Christ. It was extended later to include those who lived holy lives in imitation of Christ (i.e. virgins, widows, confessors). That’s why canonized saints are tied to their shedding of blood, or living their lives specifically for Jesus.

Of course, due to the time frame, the Old Testament heroes could not live or die for Christ. But they are indeed saints, and are covered by the blanket celebration of All Saints’ Day.

Thank you Porthos for that explanation. It’s just been one of those things that I’ve always wondered about.

None at all. Go ahead and do so, if you wish.

They are saints.

The Feast of St. Elijah is celebrated on July 20th. :slight_smile:

They are Saints.
In fact St Elijah is one of the patron saints of the Carmelite Order.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.