Why aren't women allowed preists anyway?

I know this is a common question but I still don’t know the answer(s). I personally don’t think that women should be priests! And I HOPE that the CC WONT let it happen! Uh, that’s funny…I don’t know the answer and I don’t want women to be priests…what’s up with that?! LOL!!

Could someone explain to me anyway why women can’t?

A man becomes a priest through the Sacrament of Holy Orders. To understand why it is “a man”, it is important to understand that the Church did not invent the Sacraments. She received them from her founder Himself.

Given the characteristics of the Sacrament as it was received, the Church teaches that it has no power to confer the Sacrament of Holy Orders on women. So, it is not a matter of women not being allowed; it is a matter of the Church having no power to administer the Sacrament to them.

Blessings,

Gerry

The reason, simply put, is that Christ did not give the Church the authority to ordain women priests. It is the Tradition (big T) of the Church that priests have always been men. As with all Tradition, it was passed down by the Apostles, who received it from Christ, though it was not written in Scripture. It is implied, however, in Christ’s choice to only call men to be Apostles.

We can understand this Tradition better when we consider the Sacraments. Each Sacrament in the Church requires valid matter. The Eucharist requires bread and wine. Baptism requires water (normatively). Confirmation requires Holy Chrism. Marriage requires a man and a woman. The sacrament of Holy Orders requires a man.

The immediate question, of course, is, why aren’t women valid matter for this Sacrament? The reason is that Sacraments symbolize what they signify, and signify what they symbolize. In other words, in order to have valid matter, the symbolism must fit the grace received. In the case of Holy Orders, the priest stands as an alter-Christus (another Christ), capable of celebrating the Holy Sacrifice in Christ’s stead.

In order for such a person to be valid matter for the position, they must have attributes that would connect them to Christ. Obviously, Christ was a Man, but it goes further than this. In all of Jesus’ teaching on the Church, He used the imagery of the Bride. He referred to Himself as the Bridegroom. Christ is married to the Church and She to Him. Priests are, in a similar mystical way, married to the Church. It would not be fitting for a woman to be “married” to the Church any more that for her to be “married” to another woman.

Paris,

JPII puts it pretty well, read this :).
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

My simplified version why women cannot be priest is my understanding that a priest stands in for the person of Christ, especially when consecrating the bread and wine during the consecration. The Church is referred to as the Bride of Christ. Priests by the nature of their consecrated status are considered married to the Church.

What is the message that will be send out if a female priests stands in for Christ and can consider herself married to the bride of Christ, the Church? A female married to a female. Do you recognize who is behind this novel idea? This fits right in today’s mentality and the push for same-sex marriage.

Unless the Church defects (which She cannot) there never will be women priests.

Simply put:

1. A Non-priest minister (prot etc) does NOT act in Persona Christi (in the person of Christ). They are merely preachers.
  2. A True priest in the Catholic Doctine offers True Sacrifice In The Person Of the Christ. Christ was MALE. To have a Female offer the True Sacrifice in the PERSON of Christ is a contradiction to the identity of Christ. Hence, at least a veiled implication that the “priest” is not really Offering the True Sacrifice of Calvary in the Person Of the Victim, but just a narrative.

This confusion is all a result of the very Protestant, really
modernist twisting, of the Mass into a Supper of the community with some devout memory of the Last Supper.

Finally,
As my sig says, you can’t really destroy a religion until you destroy all its Traditions, Sacred or otherwise.

[quote=Theodora]…The Church is referred to as the Bride of Christ. …
[/quote]

So …using your logic men can’t be members of the Church because they’d then be the “bride” of Jesus?

What about when Godparents “stand in” for the child at Baptism? does that fact that one of them is a different sex mean that they shouldn’t be doing that?

Clearly in both the secular and religious worlds we have people of different genders acting as stand-ins or representatives for others.

The Church has no authority to do it. John Paul II didn’t say “I don’t have the authority to ordain women”, he said the Church doesn’t have the authority. The Catholic Church will never have women priests.
God Bless,
Matt

Thanks guys for you help! It does make sense now!:smiley:

[quote=Steve Andersen]So …using your logic men can’t be members of the Church because they’d then be the “bride” of Jesus?

What about when Godparents “stand in” for the child at Baptism? does that fact that one of them is a different sex mean that they shouldn’t be doing that?

Clearly in both the secular and religious worlds we have people of different genders acting as stand-ins or representatives for others.
[/quote]

The priest stands in a very specific sacramental role when he “stands in” the place of Christ.

We are the bride of Christ in a more metaphoric, not sacramental way.

Peace

[quote=Paris Blues]Thanks guys for you help! It does make sense now!:smiley:
[/quote]

**I am FINALLY accepting the CC! I’m also realizing that I WAS a “closet Catholic” all along!
**Does that mean I was a Prophet? Or just a reader of hearts.

Also, a Priest is symbolically MARRIED to the Bride of Christ…the Church.

[quote=Steve Andersen]…

** What about when Godparents “stand in” for the child at Baptism? does that fact that one of them is a different sex mean that they shouldn’t be doing that?
[/quote]

Glad you used the word “parents”.
They stand for the Teaching Parents should the child lose the Teaching parents that it then has so as to keep them safe in the Faith
This has NOT a thing to do with a female priest, which has been clearly explained previously.

It appears to me that there are only a maximum of 10 “Catholic” women in America who want women priests. The media seems to recycle them for opinions. I have never encountered a Catholic woman in my own life who actually wants to see women as priests. I think the error of this question would be more glaring if we changed it to “Why can’t women be Fathers?” The title alone explains the question. Can you imagine- “Fr. Mary Smith”? :rotfl:

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is glad to answer your questions:

Ten Frequently Asked Questions About the Reservation of Priestly Ordination to Men

[quote=TNT]…
This has NOT a thing to do with a female priest, which has been clearly explained previously.
[/quote]

[quote=dennisknapp]…We are the bride of Christ in a more metaphoric, not sacramental way.
[/quote]

Hey, don’t blame me

Someone else made the blanket analogy that the Priest stands in for Christ, Christ was a man…therefore the priest must be a man.

Clearly there are many ways to stand in for others

[quote= Dr. Colossus]…. In order for such a person to be valid matter for the position, they must have attributes that would connect them to Christ.
[/quote]

Like a beard? Dark Hair? Jewish? Height…Weight? Place of birth? Which attributes are significant? Is it purely His Maleness?

IIRC We are all called to be Christ like.

[quote= Dr. Colossus]Obviously, Christ was a Man, but it goes further than this. In all of Jesus’ teaching on the Church, He used the imagery of the Bride. He referred to Himself as the Bridegroom…
[/quote]

That seems like a classic chicken and egg question

It seems to me He used the term Bridegroom because He was a man and not the other way round

If He had chosen to be a woman He would have used a different word.

My intent here is to decapitate this demon.
The male only priesthodd is DE FIDEI
Therefore, anyone who promotes otherwise is:

1. In a state of disobedience to the Deposit of Faith, and the infallible Teaching of the Catholic Church.
  2. Those who continue to promote non-male priesthood are promoting heresy against the Deposit of Faith, which is objectively a serious sin. Doing this with willful persistence makes one a heretic and outside the Catholic Church.
  3. One risks ipso facto excommunication for promoting a non-male priesthood.

JPII:
Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Luke 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.“
Pope BXVI - Ratzinger:
Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis to be held definitively, is to be *understood as belonging to the deposit of faith.* Responsum: In the affirmative.”

Excommunication for promoting non-male priesthood:** ** 1997 January 2: **Father Tissa Balasuriya of Sri Lanka wrote a book in 1990 titled, “Mary and Human Liberation,” in which he called for the ordination of women. The Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) investigated his writings and found them heretical. …The CDF asked again in June 1996 that he sign the original statement (correcting his error); he refused. The Congregation decided to excommunicate him, but did not act on that ruling because Father Balasuriya had appealed his case to Pope John Paul II. On January 2, 1997, Pope John Paul II upheld the excommunication.

[quote=TNT]My intent here is to decapitate this demon.
The male only priesthodd is DE FIDEI
Therefore, anyone who promotes otherwise is:

1. In a state of disobedience to the Deposit of Faith, and the infallible Teaching of the Catholic Church.
  2. Those who continue to promote non-male priesthood are promoting heresy against the Deposit of Faith, which is objectively a serious sin. Doing this with willful persistence makes one a heretic and outside the Catholic Church.
  3. One risks ipso facto excommunication for promoting a non-male priesthood…
    [/quote]

So in other words “shut up” :rolleyes:

Well I was never one to think that talking hurt anything.

If you don’t want to hear my $0.02 then don’t read the posts…simple enough

I of course agree that the Church doesn’t have the authority…at this time :wink:

[quote=Steve Andersen]So in other words “shut up” :rolleyes:

Well I was never one to think that talking hurt anything.

If you don’t want to hear my $0.02 then don’t read the posts…simple enough

I of course agree that the Church doesn’t have the authority…at this time :wink:
[/quote]

Right, and the deposit of Faith is eternal…immutable…constant…like we do not have the authority to change 2+2=4…at this time.

Has nothing to do with reading posts. I has to do with disobedience to the Church and the Deposit of Faith in promoting excommunicable heresies on a Catholic Forum.

[quote=Steve Andersen]So …using your logic men can’t be members of the Church because they’d then be the “bride” of Jesus?

[/quote]

I took for granted that all Catholics knew that the Church is referred to as The Bride of Christ.

The CCC under 796,
219 : The Lord referred to himself as the “bridegroom.” Mt. 2:19 The Apostle speaks of the whole Church and of each of the faithful, members of his Body, as a bride “betrothed” to Christ the Lord so
772 as to become but one spirit with him. Mt 22:1-14; 25:1-13; 1 Cor 6:15-17 The Church is the spotless bride of the spotless Lamb. Cf. *Rev *22:17; Eph 1:4, 5:27.

God bless.

[quote=Eden]It appears to me that there are only a maximum of 10 “Catholic” women in America who want women priests. The media seems to recycle them for opinions. I have never encountered a Catholic woman in my own life who actually wants to see women as priests. I think the error of this question would be more glaring if we changed it to “Why can’t women be Fathers?” The title alone explains the question. Can you imagine- “Fr. Mary Smith”? :rotfl:
[/quote]

Eden,
I have to respectfully diagree with you. I don’t think the number is that high.

:wink: CM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.