Why be a Catholic?

If even the Pope has stated that being a Catholic isn’t necessary for salvation, or even Christian for that matter?

If you take a God fearing Methodist for example who trusts in Jesus and was baptized the Catholic Church believes that him residing outside the Church won’t affect his salvation. He can still be saved.

So what would be the point of said Methodist bothering to convert to Catholicism? What argument could be used to have that Methodist convert? It seems all the conversion would offer him is more rules you have to abide by or risk damnation like confession of all mortal sins to a priest, missing Mass, eating meat on a day of abstinance, etc… (from the Methodists perspective of course).

It’s all about fullness. Fullness of God’s revelation. Fullness of God’s grace. Fullness of God’s means of forgiveness.

Why settle for less than God’s best?

Where did the Pope state this? Could you please provide a reference?

The Church acknowledges the possibility that one can be saved outside the Church. But the ordinary way of salvation is membership in the Catholic Church. Outside the Church there is no salvation, and if someone outside of the visible Catholic Church is saved, it is only through the Church that they are saverd.

The rules of the Church are for our benefit. They are **not **to keep us from having fun or put a damper on out otherwise happy lifestyle. The only reason for said Methodist to convert is that the Catholic Church was institued by Christ himself for our salvation. The Methodist community was not.

Besides, where else can you physically receive God Himself in the Eucharist?

It’s not about whether it’s harder or easier. It’s the truth. Yes, that sucks sometimes, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

As for the legalism, sites like this paint a skewed picture of the rigors of catholic life.

The Pope would never state that. Since the time of Peter, the Church is always necessary for salvation. The Early Church consist of the Apostles, and they were the ones who brought over 1,000 members into Christ’s Church according to the Book of Acts.

If a Pope did say such a thing, he would commit a heresy. As a Catholic I believe that the Holy Spirit will preserve such ridicules statement.

If you take a God fearing Methodist for example who trusts in Jesus and was baptized the Catholic Church believes that him residing outside the Church won’t affect his salvation. He can still be saved.

Through no fault of his own, he can. Upon death, only God can judge a man’s soul.

So what would be the point of said Methodist bothering to convert to Catholicism? What argument could be used to have that Methodist convert? It seems all the conversion would offer him is more rules you have to abide by or risk damnation like confession of all mortal sins to a priest, missing Mass, eating meat on a day of abstinance, etc… (from the Methodists perspective of course).

Because the Catholic Church is the original Church and She has the fullness of truth and faith. All other Protestant churches only have partial truths.

The precepts of the Church include Mass. If a Catholic intensionally miss Mass, he has committed a grave sin. It is a Catholic religious duty to go to Mass weekly.

People don’t like to miss a meal a day, but many Catholics (who do not go to Mass) deprive their soul of the one holy meal a week. The soul becomes weak, and the less he receives the Lamb of God, he will eventually die and go to place, where there is no God.

In the Blessed Eucharist, we received Jesus Christ Himself, Body, Blood, Soul, and His divinity. Not parts, but entire, whole. You received santifying grace and when you received this Holy Meal, you will be equip to combat temptation and sin.

There is only one reason be be Catholic: because it is true.

Once a person has perceived that the Catholic Church, in her history and doctrine, IS the Church Jesus Himself promised to build upon the rock of Peter and the Church that Christ promised the Holy Spirit would guide “into all the truth,” then you have no option but to embrace the Church.

Once you understand and believe that the Catholic Church really is Christ’s Church, you would deny your faith in Jesus Himself and imperil your soul by failing to act upon your conviction.

You have to be truly ignorant to have the chance to be saved. And even if you are, you will take the longer and even narrower path that lacks the grace one receives through the sacraments.

The Catholic Church still teaches that if you know Catholicism is true and don’t become Catholic you will not be saved (unless, of course, you repent). But why is everything about avoiding hell? Truth should be loved for its own sake. If Catholicism is true, then it should be embraced. If it is just another form of Christianity, then only those baptized into it or otherwise providentially guided into it should belong to it.

Edwin

Because of the Holy Eucharist!

For a Non-Catholic you know Catholicism more than the other Non-Catholic Christians here. :wink:

The point is that the BEST way for salvation IS to be a Catholic. There are other ways to salvation, but none of them is more direct than to be Catholic.

The only reason to convert is because you know in your heart that what the Catholic Church teaches is the fullness of truth. If you do know that, and do not convert, then you’re guilty of mortal sin. Most of what the Pope said is regarding those who, through no fault of their own, are totally ignorant of Christ, but who try to find God, and try to live a moral life with natural law, the law that’s inscribed in all our hearts.

Regarding “more rules”, there are not more rules, or less rules, but the right rules. Others who aren’t Catholic have the same rules, they just don’t recognize all of them. Catholic ‘rules’ are really designed to set you free-truly free. Freedom (as in freedom of speech) is not really freedom, it’s license. Hope this all helps.

I was that Methodist of which you speak. I left for the Eucharist…the fullness of Truth.
God’s peace be with you~

Better question - Why not Catholic?

The ONE Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. The only place where you will find the fullness of the faith

The Sacaraments
Baptism
Reconciliation
Eucharist
Confirmation
Marriage
Holy Orders
Annointing of the Sick

The Magisterium

Apostolic Tradition

The authority given to Peter by Jesus Christ in an unbroken line to Benedict XVI.

and on and on…

I can’t see why anyone would want to be anything BUT Catholic.

Stillkickin :slight_smile:

For further clarification, consider this passage from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

"Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence, they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it" (par. 846).

Other statements in the Catechism should be read in light of this clarifying article. The next paragraph is telling:

"This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church. Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation" (par. 857).

The phrase “through no fault of their own” is crucial here. Though one may not know Christ or the Gospel explicitly, he may (may) yet be saved, provided his ignorance exists “through no fault of his own.” However, even should such a one be saved, he is still ultimately saved by Christ (the mediator) and his Church, whether he is explicitly aware of this fact in this life or not.

Blessings,

Don
+T+

Just because it is Possible to be saved without being fromally united to the Catholic Church does not mean that it is Probable that one will be saved if they aren’t fromally united to the Catholic Church.

The chances of going to Hell are infinitely higher if one is not formally a member of the Catholic church

And

Even if one is saved that is not formally a member of the Catholic Church the Probability that they will suffer a much longer and much more intense purgatory is highly more likely!

So to be not formally united to the Catholic Church is to have a great chance of going to Hell and a great chance of enduring a long and intense Purgatory.

Who wants to bet their soul on those odds?

What I’ve spoken is the truth–what is amazing is the amount of Catholics that would dispute it.

They are part of the problem and they are part of the reason that some Protestants who investigate the Catholic faith just return to being Protestant–they believe them and don’t think they are putting their souls in any jeopardy.

Such Catholics should be ashamed–they think they are showing charity towards such Protestants–but in actuality are helping Satan who always desires that no one be formally united to the Catholic Church!

How can any other faith abide in Jesus when they don’t have HIM?

John 6:51

51"I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh."

52Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?”

53So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.

54"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

55"For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.

56"He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

57"As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me.

58"This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR GOD! NOTHING!

**Having been raised a Methodist and continuing to be one well into early adulthood, something seemed to be missing.
What was missing for me was a more active connection with God and all that Stillkickin mentioned. I do, however, miss the zest in singing hymns.

Yeah. Former Anglican here. I will miss the hymnody for the rest of my life. Somehow, hymns that begin with “You who” just don’t cut it!

**Without belaboring the music point in this thread, I see that there are some CA Forum threads that have and are addressing music in the Church. A Google search also has plenty of links on “Why Catholics don’t sing” and a book with many reviews titled, "Why Catholics Can’t Sing."
Excuse me while I go offline and “sing” one.

Lukewarm,
The reason to convert to the Catholic faith is that it is the only way to learn the Gospel as proclaimed by the Apostles (Mk 16:15-16). Jesus said that if one believes this Gospel and is baptized he will be saved, whereas if he does not believe he will be condemned.

This is crucial, very few verses in Scripture are more important than this one. Jesus himself gives us explicit instructions on how to be saved, that is, one must hear this preached Gospel. And since no book in the whole bible claims to have a summary of this Gospel which saves us, the only way to learn it is to hear it as proclaimed by his Church.

The Apostles founded His Church, which Jesus built ("…and upon this rock I will build my Church"). The Apostles’ Gospel was left to their successor bishops in the Church (…the pillar and foundation of truth. 1 Tim 3:15) and has been transmitted from generation to generation ever since.

Notice that Jesus doesn’t say you will be saved if you read the bible. Nor does the Holy Spirit say, through St. Paul in 1 Tim 3:15, that the pillar and foundation of truth is the bible, or one’s personal interpretation of the bible. It is the CHURCH, which btw, gave us the bible.

And the primary reason Jesus came was to liberate us from all that oppresses us, especially sin. St. Joseph was told to name the child “… Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” (Mt 1:21) Jesus said he came “…to proclaim release to the captives…to set at liberty those who are oppressed”. (Lk 4:18) Captive to what & oppressed by what? Sin, serious sin, as Jesus said “…Truly I say to you, every one who commits sin is a slave to sin”. (Jn 8:34) John the Baptist said Jesus came to take our sin away, “… Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (Jn 1:29)

cont’d - 1 of 3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.