Why be a practicing Catholic?

First of all, I hope this is in the right forum. If not, mods, please move it.

Anyway, lately I have been struggling with my faith. I am finding fewer and fewer reasons to be a practicing Catholic. I was confirmed as a Catholic convert just over 3 years ago. Anyway, what are some reasons that I should go back to being a faithful and devout practicing Catholic? :shrug::confused:

To please God and to have the best chance at eternal salvation.

God Bless

Because it is the means Christ has given us to obtain salvation, eternal life with Him.

My question for you: Why (in what ways) are you struggling with your faith? What has changed since you converted three years ago? We would love to help you get back on track.

I honestly don’t really know in what ways I am struggling with my faith. I do know that I am even having a hard time believing in God at this point in my life. I’m not sure why though. Also, all the rules of Catholicism seem to be encumbering me. I want to have fun. Like the rule about no sex before marriage. Well, I want to be able to have sex before marriage without being condemned to Hell or some other place of torture.

Were you on fire for the Catholic faith after you converted? Why has that changed? The rules? The rules apply whether you believe them or not. The rules are God’s rules and the Church, among other things, helps us obey and apply them.

Would you rather spend eternity with God or have “fun” while on your relatively short journey on earth? I encourage you to spend some time in prayer thinking about that…really try to have your heart open for God’s answer. In front of the Blessed Sacrament is my favorite place to pray when I really need to listen.

Tell God your problems. Tell Him why it’s hard. He can take it and can lead you to some truly awesome answers if you let Him.

Also, would it help to think of all the wonderful things the Church provides? Confession, The Eucharist…

I’ll be praying for you.

First off, no one can say that you are saved or condemned except for God alone. However, there are rules that the Catholic Church has set forth based on reason, logic, and love. And while this may seem a contradiction, these rules are meant to make your life more fulfilling, not to tie you down in misery.

The rules and consequences do not go away because you turn a blind eye to them. Do you think, at the time of eternal judgment, you’ll be able to say, “Well, since I wasn’t practicing my faith at the time the rules didn’t apply to me.”? It’s like driving down the wrong side of the highway with your eyes closed thinking that since you don’t see the oncoming cars, they do not exist.

We all want to have a fun and comfortable life. Unfortunately, life isn’t about having the license to do whatever we want regardless of the consequences. Life is about making choices and, at times, sacrifices. As much as we sometimes wish it were otherwise, those are the rules of the games. The good news is that when we make the wrong choices, God is always looking to take us back. All we have to do is ask sincerely for His mercy.

We all have our struggles. I’ll pray for you that you’ll find the strength to make it through yours.

You are the only person who can answer this question. You need to pray and read the Bible. God will reveal the answer to you.

Holly, please know that I don’t mean this question in a sarcastic or derogatory manner: are you taking your medication? I ask this because not too long ago you said you were off your meds and questioned whether you should go back on them. Your present struggle could be symptomatic of not taking them; or it could be that the difficulties you have spoken of on other threads have brought this confusion and temptation to you. Whatever is the case, you are in my prayer. Do not give up the good fight for Christ in your life.

Are you getting more and more comfortable with life, and don’t seem to “need” the “emotional high” (which is probably diminishing) of practicing your faith?

Are you getting more and more UNcomfortable with life, and don’t seem to be getting the “help” you desire from practicing your faith?

Could your situation be a combination of the two?

Once we have answers to these questions we can try to help you to rediscover why it was you chose to become a Catholic in the first place. :slight_smile:

Very much looking forward to your answers.

Like anything, the more you practice, the better you get! :slight_smile:

This does not apply to “self pleasuring”, which is what many people seem to consider “practicing their faith” as being.

After a relatively short time, it is simply “chafing”.

One must DO real “making-of-love”, which “practicing one’s faith” is, the proper way, otherwise a ferocious “chafing” occurs.

Honestly, I am currently finding it hard to even believe in God anymore. That’s about all I have to say for now.

Holly,

You are no different than any one of us, we all fail daily, we all want to do the easy thing, we all have doubts.

Each week at Mass, when the Holy Eucharist is presented, I say “I believe, help my unbelief” (Mark 9:24).

I also say “Lord, save me” (Mt 14:30). When we realize that we cannot save ourselves and we must rely on the grace of God, then we are a just a little closer to God.

Look at the important things in your life. If they were easy, self gratifying or not painful, they would not be valuable.

You are in my prayers!

All the great Saints suffered through the “Dark night of the Soul”.

Mother Theresa felt this doubt, yet she persevered to help others. Try to do what you can for others and the sacrifice of self will be rewarded with eternal life in Heaven.

Mark

** Well, I want to be able to have sex before marriage without being condemned to Hell or some other place of torture.**

And you think that if you were not Catholic, sex outside of marriage would not put you in danger of hell?

I never said that. However, if God does not exist (and I am having doubts about His existence) then obviously Hell does not even exist.

Do you think that He (and Hell) would cease to exist simply because you persuaded yourself (or were persuaded by someone else) that they didn’t?

Holly,

I have been a Christian for 12 years, and I am having the same problem you are having right now. I was training to be an apologist, and the more I read the more I am having a hard time that God even exists at all. I wish God would help me, so much, but I can never get an answer. Like I said, I feel the same you do about the existence of God. Not that I want to sin and avoid consequences, just that, I don’t know anymore. I stay very sad most of the time, because my whole world is crashing in on me with this. I want to believe so bad, but I am not seeing any evidence whatsoever to believe.

Holly -

I hope you’ve received some good advice on how to get your faith strong again. As others have said, just about everyone goes through the same thing at least once in their life. I pray that you don’t give up on your faith. I do believe that in time, you will find the answers. God does love you and wants the best for you. Please let me know how you are doing down the road, okay?

This a question you need to take to your priest or somone you trust from your parish at least.

Doubts and darkness come to all one time or another. May I suggest you start a novena to the Blessed Teresa of Calcutta and attend mass on her fest day next week on the 5th of September, even if you have doubts, she had many dark days, yet with faith kept living for God and doing HIs work.

motherteresa.org/Novena/novena2008.html

It seems like you might be going through your own personal Hell at the moment and I know that isn’t any fun…

Prayers for you…

Holly, could you please answer my questions in post #9?

Which are:
Are you getting more and more comfortable with life, and don’t seem to “need” the “emotional high” (which is probably diminishing) of practicing your faith?

Are you getting more and more UNcomfortable with life, and don’t seem to be getting the “help” you desire from practicing your faith?

Could your situation be a combination of the two?

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.