Why believe in the Bible?

Seriously, why?

This question is for Protestants. If you assert that no man is infalliable then you must assert that the canon of scripture is falliable.

No Apostle decided what was and what was not scripture in regards to the Bible.

So why believe. I as a Catholic recognize that the Church came first and that it decided, INFALLIABLY, what was God-Breathed through the deposit of faith and the holy spirit.

If no man or Church could do this then many if not all books in the Bible could be false doctrines and some books outside the Bible could be inspired.

Where do Protestants believe the Bible came from? Yes it came from God but how do you know?

Did it fall from Heaven?

If history proved that the Catholic Church decided what was scripture and what wan not would you convert? After all, if you follow her authority on what is and what isn’t scripture logicall you should follow her lead on how to interoret it right?:smiley:

If you do not know where it came from why believe?

Talk about a big wide target. If I had time I would bite, but as it is I am away this weekend.

Hint 1: There is a logical difference between being error free and being incapable of being incorrect (I have gotten 100 in math before, that does not mean I am incapable of math errors). There is a difference between being authoritative and being incapable of being incorrect (I trusted my life last Novemeber to my authoritative surgeon who still was capable of surgery errors).

Hint 2: God uses people. I can trust God even when He uses people.

Hint 3: Properly understood, the word infallible applies only to processes (see the word incapable). You are misusing the word to apply it either to a document (the Bible) or to an activity (the adjucation of the canon). The best both of these can be is error free. (BTW, the Catholic church does use the word infallible in the correct sense…if the Pontiff speaks ex cathedra on an issue of faith and morals, what he speaks is guaranteed to be without error…the Ponfiff speaking ex cathedra on in issue of faith and morals is a process. Whether this is true is another issue.)

Hint 4: Therefore it is not inconsistent to say that an error-free document was the result from an error-free activity.

Now back to lurk mode.

BTW Mr holy_wood, you should shorten your “location” field in your profile. It is causing your posts here to be unusually wide. That happened to me once and a mod kindly PMed me and showed me the fix.

It did actually. That`s how it happened. :coffeeread:

But, how do you know that they(Catholic Church) got it(Canon of the Bible) right that time?

Papal Infallibility is used by the Catholic Church in the correct sense. When the Pope speaks Ex Cathedra and proclaims a doctrine of faith and morals he is therefore infallible, meaning unable to teach error.

Not biting.

I have tried asking Protestants this before as well - several times, actually. A straight answer was never provided in any of those cases, either.

If you want to know the answer to this, please start another thread. You’re getting off-topic here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.