Why Bother?

Why bother joining the Church. In the beginning I felt like it was right and meant to be, like God wants me there. I still think that maybe…i’m unsure. I know its the True Church, but it seems like I almost don’t care. I am tired of seeing people walk away from the Truth and I am tired of seeing people be Catholic on Sunday and nothing on every other day. It gets really old. I just can’t get my heart into it anymore. Going to Mass feels burdensome. What should I do? I can’t even seem to pray anymore.

DU

[quote=snowman10]Why bother joining the Church. In the beginning I felt like it was right and meant to be, like God wants me there. I still think that maybe…i’m unsure. I know its the True Church, but it seems like I almost don’t care. I am tired of seeing people walk away from the Truth and I am tired of seeing people be Catholic on Sunday and nothing on every other day. It gets really old. I just can’t get my heart into it anymore. Going to Mass feels burdensome. What should I do? I can’t even seem to pray anymore.

DU
[/quote]

Spend less time worrying about other people and their relationship with God (actually, spend none of your time worrying about this), and more time worrying about your relationship with God. If you want to join the Church, make sure it’s because of what YOU plan to do with it, and not what you hope others do with it.

Not being able to pray, or not being able to get your heart into the things of God has been a classic sign of going through a “Dark Night” period in your spiritual life. Since I have no idea where you’re “at” spiritually, perhaps a little reading of some of the works of St. John of the Cross might be in order. In any case, don’t despair.

Mike

Hang in there. Very old cliche, but I don’t know what else to say. Try to keep your eyes on the eternal life, not this temporary one. Join a group at church, you may find friends that you can hold as examples of living the Catholic life. I’ll say a prayer for you.

see my answer to “I just don’t understand” by Joeflie above. You don’t join the Church or leave it because of your faith in, admiration of, or disappointment in other Catholics, you join because you are convinced this is the Church founded by Jesus Christ, protected and guided by the Holy Spirit, which teaches divinely revealed truth. If you are convinced she teaches the truth you cannot go elsewhere without betraying your own self.

Yes, sometimes prayer and practice of the faith is burdensome, that is why it is called “carrying the cross.” It is not supposed to be fun, enjoyable, spiritually uplifting, enlightening, joyful, although it can be at times, it is supposed to be a journey with Christ along the road to calvary, in order to find what lies beyond.

**It matter’s what you do with your faith and God, not what others do.

You must Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Go to confession, and partake in frequent communions to help you with your sufferings, etc.

Pray. ! do the rosary.**

Sara

I will be praying for you. I know it can be discouraging seeing the state of the Church, and of Christianity as a whole. I am studying my way in to the Catholic Church, so to speak, though I haven’t made a final commitment yet, and I have felt the same things you have. I suggest you pray that God will restore to you the joy of His salvation (Psalm 51:12), and that He will help you strengthen others. I will be praying that for you as well.

God Bless!

I know its the True Church

WOW, i wish i had that confidence, the evil one plagues me with doubts about the faith, I have to fight so hard just to say “It is the true Church”, every conceivable angle at which to cause doubt is put there again and again by the evil one.

I wish I had your faith to lose. :thumbsup:

And, God , I know its old but pray pray pray.

What someone said about keeping your eyes on the eternal life is so right, think about the length of this life compared to eternity, in perspective now?

In Christ.

Andre.

May God Help you.

I am making the journey Home as well. I also find myself discouraged (though not so discouraged as to question my enthusiasm regarding my journey) many times. My discouragement stems not from the lack of practicing Catholics, but from the belittlement I receive from non-Catholics.

My own mother, I love her dearly, told me, “This too shall pass. You’re just going through a phase.” I must say, I was apalled. This Protestant woman knows the logical, thinking mind that I have and accused my journey Home of being a phase. How insulting.

Worse things have been said, but I had hoped for a little more support from my own mother. (Though I can understand her lack of support—she is a Protestant preacher’s wife and has built her entire life on ministering to others that which she understands to be truth.)

As has been previously posted, keep praying. I am very glad to be on this journey, and I am very glad for those who join me. Let us encourage one another. Let us pray for one another.

Go give your time and energy to help those in need. Volunteer to help the homeless at a local shelter. It won’t stop you from being disappointed about all those poor souls who don’t live their faith, but it will help you see how you can bring Christ to others and the goodness that is within that. This isn’t a passive faith…it’s very active. Christ even said “faith without works is dead.”

Keep praying. Keep going to mass.

You might see if you can find some writings of St. John of the Cross. He had similar experiences and feelings that you have. He called it the dark night of the soul. I don’t know if that’s exactly what you are experiencing, but know that if you perservere, you’ll come to a place even closer to our Lord.

[quote=snowman10]Why bother… DU
[/quote]

Because God Himself put you there to improve it.

That is why God called St. Francis.

You, too.

Akanke:

I am making the journey Home as well.

Ah ha! Another one! :slight_smile:

My own mother, I love her dearly, told me, “This too shall pass. You’re just going through a phase.” I must say, I was apalled. This Protestant woman knows the logical, thinking mind that I have and accused my journey Home of being a phase. How insulting.

My family hasn’t brought up the “just a phase” statement, but they have all suggested that I not make any major life changes at this time in my life (I’m deployed overseas). I think they’re worried my newfound interest in Catholicism is the result of combat stress or something. Still, they love me and and mean well. They’ve also said that they know I’m a Christian and that that won’t change if I become Catholic.

I am very glad to be on this journey, and I am very glad for those who join me. Let us encourage one another. Let us pray for one another.

Yes, let it be so! You shall be in my prayers, as well as the person who goes by the name of snowball10 and all others who are seeking the truth. God Bless! :slight_smile:

Snowman, what you’re feeling is typical of someone seeing the dark side of people/life and wondering what role Faith plays in all of this. This sobering question has been the crossroads for many people who either chose the path of Faith or walked away from the truth. Being that Faith has brought you this far I hope what you’re feeling would serve as the impetus to grow in your Faith rather than walking away from it. Just because you experience stomach flu doesn’t mean you have to stop eating from that point forward. These moments of angst too will pass; keep the Faith!

Why bother? Because it’s God.

Maybe part of the reason you feel so discouraged at others leaving the faith or not living it is because you know how important it is and it breaks your heart to see the world forgetting. The devil takes advantage of that and plants seeds of doubt wherever he can.

Times of spiritual struggle are hard and I admire you for wanting to get help! Stick it out! Every time you go to church even though you don’t really want to, the devil loses his power over you and you become an example to others. Even if no one else knows you’re struggling with your faith, just seeing you in church every Sunday, maybe someone is thinking that if you can do it, he can do it, too.

We’ll never know the effect we have on people until eternity, but by your perseverance you could be doing a world of good! I know you’ve inspired me. If someone who is struggling like you can keep going, then I in my own smaller trials can try harder.

You’re in my prayers! :o

[quote=snowman10]Why bother joining the Church. In the beginning I felt like it was right and meant to be, like God wants me there. I still think that maybe…i’m unsure. I know its the True Church, but it seems like I almost don’t care. I am tired of seeing people walk away from the Truth and I am tired of seeing people be Catholic on Sunday and nothing on every other day. It gets really old. I just can’t get my heart into it anymore. Going to Mass feels burdensome. What should I do? I can’t even seem to pray anymore.
[/quote]

Eraserhead (1977)
The Elephant Man (1980)
Dune (1984)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Twin Peaks (1989)
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1994)
Lost Highway (1996)
The Straight Story (1999)
Mulholland Drive (2001)
Inland Empire (2006)

DU
[/quote]

This is like saying: “I was going to get married to the most wonderful girl in the world, but after seeing so many divorces and people who are unhappy in their marriages, I’m thinking of not going through with it.”

Discouragement over others or over not feeling anything is common. And I have no doubt the enemy is thrusting them forward for your notice at this time exactly to get you to waver.

I went through something of the kind when I was going through RCIA and determining if I was really going to become a Catholic. My temptation was different but it was the same sort of phenomenon that many converts have, just as many a bridegroom has had a case of cold feet before seeing his beloved walking down the aisles, all dressed in white and looking like an angel sent to Earth. The Church is the same–it is easy to notice the faults of its members, but she is the spotless Bride of Christ who we are all privileged to be a part of.

You certainly can’t change the Catholic community as a whole, but you can change your own little corner of it. Example is a great form of reverence and evangilism.

Don’t despair, folks around you will know that you are Catholic simply by your actions and the example you set. You can only pray that they follow your lead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.