Why call St. Paul, "Apostle?"

St. Paul wasn’t one of the 12. Matthias replaced Judas Iscariot. (Acts 1:26) Paul came to the Church in Chapter 9 of Acts. Acts 12:2 records the death of James, the brother of John. Did Paul replace James? Is that a logical historical conclusion, even though it can’t be gleaned from Scripture? Why does Scripture not record a replacement for James? Why is St. Paul considered an Apostle? Why are there presently more than 12 Bishops worldwide? I know these are a few different questions, but they all revolve around the same central theme, at least in my mind.

2 Timothy 1:1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus:

Apostle come from a greek word that means “One who is sent.” After the road to Damascus incident, Paul qualifies.

I will let others tackle the other questions.

“Apostles” were those chosen leaders who saw the risen Christ, the last of whom was Paul (1 Cor. 15:7-9; 1 Cor. 9:1).

Judas Iscariot was not called an apostle in Scripture. Before Jesus died, His main followers were simply called “the twelve.” Only after the resurrection (and after Judas’ death) were the church leaders called apostles. The remaining eleven, and several of their appointees, all saw the risen Jesus. Paul became an apostle after Jesus’ ascended, which is why he calls his own experience seeing the risen Jesus, “as to one untimely born,” in 1 Cor. 15:8.

I’m sorry, Gamera, but you are incorrect.

Matt 10:2-4–Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Cananite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him. (NKJV)

Luke 6:12-16–Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. 13 And when it was day, He called His disciples to Himself; and from them He chose twelve whom He also named apostles: 14 Simon, whom He also named Peter, and Andrew his brother; James and John; Philip and Bartholomew; 15 Matthew and Thomas; James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called the Zealot; 16 Judas the son of James, and **Judas Iscariot who also became a traitor. ** (NKJV)

no, not in this manner. Apostles had interaction with Jesus so Paul is an Apostle.

Is that a logical historical conclusion, even though it can’t be gleaned from Scripture?

scripture records Jesus and Paul interacting

Why does Scripture not record a replacement for James?

when the Apostles selected the early replacement it is not clear whether those selected had known Jesus first hand and thus could be true Apostles or whether they were accepted as religious leaders

Why is St. Paul considered an Apostle?

because Jesus called Paul and directly interacted with Paul

Why are there presently more than 12 Bishops worldwide?

The Bishops are the successors to the Apostles, not the Apostles. The church can have any number of Bishops.

I know these are a few different questions, but they all revolve around the same central theme, at least in my mind.

The apostolic succession in the process in which Jesus setup our church to teach the posterity how to live correctly. We are now 100 generations from the Apostles which may only be the beginning. The duty of the church is entrusted to the Magisterium which spends it days teaching the methods of following God’s plan. We do not believe Devine Revelation is currently active.

Hope that helps

I thank you for your replies. Yes, they clarified some things for me. So Bishops, as the successors, have expanded beyond a straight line, yet all remain as successors to the apostles, merely that each apostle has multiple CURRENT successors. I would think, if I was a priest, I’d be interested in knowing which of the twelve my ordination can be traced back to. I would imagine many, if not all of them have checked.

First time for everything. :frowning:

Due to intermingling which was constant until the schism most if not all current Bishops would be in-line with most Apostles which means nothing really. All current Bishops are in-line with Peter as is required by the Church. Because the process of being ordained as a Bishop involves and centers on receiving additional power from the Holy Spirit as a Church Leader. We all have the Holy Spirit within us; Bishops have extended powers from the Holy Spirit than you or I.

This article might be helpful to you:

newadvent.org/cathen/01626c.htm

In the building of the Church Jesus is the cornerstone. The twelve apostles are the foundation stones on which the “edifice” is built’ The rest of us are “living stones” in the structure. I would assume the Pope and and bishops might be likened to structural elements that lend stability and keep it all together. I think something like this metaphor is found in Revelation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.