Why can we use images in our worship?

I am 57 yrs old and have been challenged all my life about my faith by others and have been strong;
but my son turned moslem and I cannot grasp it. I have read the bible many times since I was young to look for answers to my questions; now I am being challenged by my own kid that I myself raised in the faith, so I thought until 3 years ago.
I moved to California to be close to him and since then, I listen to Catholic radio and I learn a lot, but I still have questions.
the bible specifically said “thou shalt not use any craven image…” I do not get this.
Right now, I cannot not have something to show I am Catholic (as per my priest then) somehow, I have a crucifix by my door. (when I asked a priest to bless my home many years ago, he asked me where my altar was; he did not see that I had a crucifix in every bedroom) But why do we do this? where is it allowed in the bible?

The following links should assist you in better understanding Iconoclasm. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]What is an example of idolatry?
*] Carving statues and Images
*] Where are statues and saints in the Bible?
*] Where does the New Testament allow for graven images?
*] Do Catholics Worship Statues?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.