Why Can't Eastern/Oriental Orthodox receive the Eucharist if we share Eucharistic communion with them?

Why would Jesus care who’s receiving the sacrament if that person is just going to partake in his body and blood in a different liturgy the next day? There aren’t different degrees of Eucharist, either you have a valid and legitimate Eucharist or you don’t. It’s as black-and-white as it sounds. Either you receive the sacred body and blood, or you don’t. Why does it matter which roof it occurs under?

:confused: I don’t know who told you that, but it’s not exactly true.

§3. Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church if they seek such on their own accord and are properly disposed. This is also valid for members of other Churches which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition in regard to the sacraments as these Eastern Churches.

§4. If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed.

(Emphasis mine.)

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P2T.HTM

You will need to go to an Orthodox discussion board and ask this question of them. The Catholic Church does not prohibit the Orthodox from communing in the Catholic Church. The Orthodox Churches, however, do prohibit their members from doing so and it can result in excommunication from the Orthodox.

Catholics consider the Eastern Orthodox sacraments as valid. However, among the Orthodox Churches, the situation is much more complicated. Some Eastern Orthodox are quite hostile to Catholicism and some, like the Patriarch of Constantinople, are friendly.

Like this?
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/documents/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20011025_chiesa-caldea-assira_en.html

The Catholic Church does not object to Orthodox receiving from us, or us from them, but we are also supposed to respect the disciplines of each other’s churches. The Orthodox don’t like us receiving from them, and they forbid their faithful from receiving from us. We need to respect that.

Obligation is a different story. You do not fulfill your Sunday obligation at an Orthodox divine liturgy because we are currently not in communion with them. Catholic law requires us to fulfill our obligation in a *Catholic *rite.

Intercommunion requires permission on both sides.

I believe that we can fulfill our Sunday obligation by attending Orthodox divine liturgy if no Catholic Mass is available to us. Not that we would be obligated to attend at all if there is no Catholic Mass available, but we many attend the Orthodox Sunday services if we can’t go to a Catholic Mass on a Sunday. The Orthodox ask that Catholics not receive communion at their services, but Catholics may attend if we wish.

If they are in the state of grace they [the E Orthodox] with exception, can receive the Eucharist in the CC.

for further explanation

Who Can Receive Communion?

As an aside, note
[LIST]
*]Restrictions on who can receive and who can’t, goes back to the beginning.
*]in addition to the references to the Didache in the above link, I’ll add one more Didache reference
[/LIST]The Didache (c. 100) [all emphasis mine]

But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice*; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations. *ch 14 ]

All that language is biblical. The underlined text is from Jesus (paraphrased)

If you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.” (Matthew 5:23-24).

God wants us to worship Him in love, humility and perfect unity, John 17:20-23 not with prideful divisions among us, rooted as they are in sin.

We pray that someday the Orthodox come back in union with the chair of Peter.

If we can’t attend a Catholic Mass, then the obligation is abrogated. This therefore means attending an Orthodox service is fine, but not mandatory. The obligation is not fulfilled as it no longer exists.

Yes. :slight_smile: Thank you for your clear and concise explanation. :tiphat: Although not “fulfilled” in the strict sense of the word, it would be laudatory to attend if there was no other approved service available.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.