Why can't homosexuals see that their behavior is an abomination?

Homosexual behavior is a truly disgusting form of sexual abuse, but homosexuals can't see it or experience it. Why? It must be the deception of Satan!

Maybe some of them do. This has not been my sin … but I did have a sin that I’ve been delivered of (though I must always be vigilant not to get lax or put myself in a near occasion of that sin) – and I’ve felt that the sin was bigger than I was.

No sin is greater than God’s grace or power to deliver though. Yet winning is not easy.

Adjusting my answer a bit: some of “them” are deceived. Though that applies to many
enslaved to other sins as well.

And yes, Satan is the deceiver and tries to deceive people to their destruction.

In St. Paul’s epistle to the Romans (which deals with that sin by name specifically and all sin generally) the evangelist seems to imply that the deception may be deliberate and that (many? all?) of the offenders knew full well what they were doing was wrong.

The quote below covers a MULTITUDE of sins and sinners … yet implies that (in most cases? all cases?) people know what they are doing is wrong - yet do it anyway. A counterpoint I suppose to my feeling that “sin can be bigger than we are” - though not a contradiction to it. In my (present) opinion.

Romans 1:18 The wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against every impiety and wickedness of those who suppress the truth by their wickedness.

19 For what can be known about God is evident to them, because God made it evident to them.

20 Ever since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made. As a result, they have no excuse;

21 for although they knew God they did not accord him glory as God or give him thanks. Instead, they became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless minds were darkened.

22 While claiming to be wise, they became fools

23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for the likeness of an image of mortal man or of birds or of four-legged animals or of snakes.

24 Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies.

25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural,

27 and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity.

28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God handed them over to their undiscerning mind to do what is improper.

29 They are filled with every form of wickedness, evil, greed, and malice; full of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery, and spite. They are gossips

30 and scandalmongers and they hate God. They are insolent, haughty, boastful, ingenious in their wickedness, and rebellious toward their parents.

31 They are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

32 Although they know the just decree of God that all who practice such things deserve death, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

So … adding ON to your last sentence a bit. It may be the deception of Satan, but it seems sometimes to be self-deception as well on the part of people who really “know better” but sin anyway. Some go on to justify that sin to themselves. Others beyond that
try to justify it to society – even to the point of it being a virtue (!) :eek:

LOL, LOL, LOL :rotfl:

First I'm going to offer up one of my favorite verses: Luke 18:9-14

Second as a celibate homosexual maybe I can find the right balance here. Homosexual acts are indeed condemned in both the Old and New Testaments. But I have to say threads like this are kind of hurtful to me because I struggle with celibacy and I don't appreciate some of the language on here.

Sexual activity belongs in marriage between a man and a woman I affirm. But considering you all are sinners as well; read the verse and maybe be a little more nicer in the way you express yourselves. Use love not disgust. I didn't become celibate because of people using language like yourselves. I became celibate because someone took the time to love me like Jesus would and didn't use this kind of language.

Homosexual acts are indeed sinful. But this thread uses unloving approaches.

Probably because everyone doesn’t see homosexual behavior as an abomination according to THEIR moral values, which may not be exactly the same as yours or mine. I’m sure most homosexuals, and plenty of heterosexuals, do not regard gay sexual behavior as sexual abuse.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:1, topic:309952"]
Homosexual behavior is a truly disgusting form of sexual abuse, but homosexuals can't see it or experience it. Why? It must be the deception of Satan!

[/quote]

Why bring it up?

Pooh stinks, but you don't need to go out of your way and smell it.

I have just been learning about looking at one’s actions in a positive rather than a negative way. So rather than avoiding immodest clothing, trying to determine where the line is and all that, one would strive for a lady-like way of dressing. Does this make sense? And you post points out that we should apply the more positive way of looking at actions in other ways as well, so that rather than asking the question above, one might ask how can we help others to live or even to begin to want to live a chaste lifestyle for the glory of God, using His gifts to us as He intended them, and offering up our difficulties on the way?

That’s a little too complex for me to understand haha. :o

But I wrote that because that kind of language the OP uses hurts my feelings. I’m saying we should be responding to sin with love. Love is the biggest catalyst for changing sinfulness. If I were still living a gay life and I saw something like the OP’s post I probably would have said something mean and nasty right back.

I’m just pointing out that those kinds of unloving approaches and wordings are barriers to outreach and Evangelism. Not to mention the post hurt my feelings.

[quote="mitex, post:4, topic:309952"]
First I'm going to offer up one of my favorite verses: Luke 18:9-14

Second as a celibate homosexual maybe I can find the right balance here. Homosexual acts are indeed condemned in both the Old and New Testaments. But I have to say threads like this are kind of hurtful to me because I struggle with celibacy and I don't appreciate some of the language on here.

Sexual activity belongs in marriage between a man and a woman I affirm. But considering you all are sinners as well; read the verse and maybe be a little more nicer in the way you express yourselves. Use love not disgust. I didn't become celibate because of people using language like yourselves. I became celibate because someone took the time to love me like Jesus would and didn't use this kind of language.

Homosexual acts are indeed sinful. But this thread uses unloving approaches.

[/quote]

I'm in the same situation as you and when I first came here I wanted these threads to stop too. Now, I've come to a different place. I would rather know what people really think than have them hide behind flowery language of "loving the sinner and hating the sin".

Seeker I don’t think asking to be treated with basic dignity and love is asking for too much. The OP made an overly broad generalized and judgmental comment that lumped me with sexually active homosexuals when I am specifically celibate.

Perhaps if the OP would have differentiated between chaste and sexually active comments I wouldn’t be so upset. If I can’t get support for my struggle on a forum for Catholics who believe in celibacy for people like me. And part of that struggle is being sensitive to the fact that people like me are on here.

:confused:

I feel your pain, I truly do…but after months here I can tell you that the honesty is preferable.

You will find support here for the struggle, but I encourage you to find support in your Real Life with this as well. Find a Pastor or another Christian that will pray with you and for you. The best advice I can give you is to pray constantly, read your Bible daily and stay connected to God and His strength. It’s the only thing that worked for me on a consistent basis for over ten years. Knowing that God doesn’t see me as “disgusting” is what allows me to read posts like that and do nothing more than pray for the author.

Mitex, I completely agree with you.
was very offended by the original post----Jesus loved and loves ALL of us, and he would eat with ALL kinds of sinners. How dare anyone call anyone else disgusting! Humans have all kinds of crosses to bear. And, for the record, I am a married mother of five. If a person were an alcoholic, would it be kind to say, "Hey, why are you a disgusting drunk?" No----that is not how Jesus would approach

I applaud you! And I agree that the better approach is to ask how we can help one another to lead chaste lives and to follow Christ. We all need to help one another, and, as Jesus said, not judge one another.

We love because He loves us!

Cindy

[quote="mitex, post:10, topic:309952"]
Seeker I don't think asking to be treated with basic dignity and love is asking for too much. The OP made an overly broad generalized and judgmental comment that lumped me with sexually active homosexuals when I am specifically celibate.

Perhaps if the OP would have differentiated between chaste and sexually active comments I wouldn't be so upset. If I can't get support for my struggle on a forum for Catholics who believe in celibacy for people like me. And part of that struggle is being sensitive to the fact that people like me are on here.

:confused:

[/quote]

If I meant celibate, I would have said 'gay.' But I was speaking only about homosexuals, who by definition engage in sexual activity. I doubt that anyone in the Church would not condone SSA (non-sexual) would they?.

Someone I love more than my own life is homosexual, I can’t reach him as our relationship is estranged. I would hate to think that someone abused him verbally or especially physically for his choice, and do believe that love and kindness and compassion are the way to conversion. Just like with Christianity, if one tries to force it on someone, then they will often dig their heels in deeper and become more entrenched in their own views.
However, I have seen instances where, (not particularly speaking of homosexual behaviour here) a person has been restricted from accessing their “sin”, and in so doing, they’ve had time to reflect without the sin present and constantly tempting them. In other words, while away from the sin, they were able to think with a clear head and see the harm it was doing.

I wish you well in your journey. You give me hope for my loved one.
May I ask that you would pray for him?
I am almost crying here, as I have been so concerned, and yet now…

Peace be with you.

[quote="Robert_Sock, post:13, topic:309952"]
If I meant celibate, I would have said 'gay.' But I was speaking only about homosexuals, who by definition engage in sexual activity. I doubt that anyone in the Church would not condone SSA (non-sexual) would they?.

[/quote]

Generally "gay" means sexually active. "Homosexual" means someone who is attracted to their own sex. I still have a homosexual orientation even though I'm celibate.

My acquaintance with gay people has never suggested this.

I still use the word “gay” even though I haven’t had a relationship in over ten years. It’s shorter to type. :wink:

I have found that active or inactive doesn’t make much difference to some people.

[quote="cmmillen, post:12, topic:309952"]
Mitex, I completely agree with you.
was very offended by the original post----Jesus loved and loves ALL of us, and he would eat with ALL kinds of sinners. How dare anyone call anyone else disgusting! Humans have all kinds of crosses to bear. And, for the record, I am a married mother of five. If a person were an alcoholic, would it be kind to say, "Hey, why are you a disgusting drunk?" No----that is not how Jesus would approach

[/quote]

The OP did NOT call any person disgusting. He said that homosexual BEHAVIOUR is disgusting. Your response says more about your attitude than the OP's.

And Jesus whilst on earth certainly had no hesitation in telling people that their sins (not they themselves) were disgusting and an abomination.

Charlie Sheen comes to mind with his sexuality…

Well, as another poster said, some of them do see that their behavior is wrong. In fact, I would venture to say that most homosexuals when they first start experimenting do feel guilt about it because of their conscience. Unfortunately a lot of them tend to ignore their conscience. Also, there are a lot of groups out there that say it is perfectly normal and even healthy to practice sodomy. Some of them even tell homosexuals to be proud of it! I think that this also plays a part in why many of them feel no guilt.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.