Why can't I "get snipped" and then simply go to confession afterwards?

My wife has asked me and frankly its hard to give her a coherent answer. After having 3 kids, why can’t I “get snipped” and then simply go to confession afterwards. I realize there would be a certain lack of sincerity. But I would be going out of fear of hell which is not perfect contrition but is allowable(isn’t it?) as far as confessing sins in general goes. Could someone please answer, I need to know this one.

Dear SD,

After having three children, God has the right to ask you to have more if He so chooses. To have a vasectomy with the presumption that He will forgive you anyway is indeed dishonest. It’s like putting a blind-fold on Jesus so that one can deal Him blows freely without being seen. But in reality we are the ones who are blinded. He knows full well who it is that is rejecting Him. Just don’t go there!

I strongly suggest that you get the book, “Good News About Sex and Marriage” by Christopher West. You AND your wife need to read it. It is available through shopcatholic.com or by phone: 888 291 8000.

You both are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.