Why cant i stop thinking about this?-being a carmellite nun

Maegan,

You remind me so much of myself when I was a young girl. (I'm 28.) I too believed very strongly that God was calling me to become a religious - I believed He was calling me to enter the Missionaries of Charity (the order Blessed Teresa of Calcutta began).

When I was 16, my grandfather died and my father was diagnosed with cancer. I began to realize that God was calling me to be a nurse, so I entered a nursing degree program. Today, I am finishing a master's degree and teach practical nursing.

Eventually, I began to realize that God was calling me to marriage, that His plans for me were different than what I thought they were. 20 months ago I married my soul mate. He is a devout Catholic convert with a 8-year-old daughter from his first marriage (annulled) who considers me a second mother.

I would encourage you to continue praying and discerning God's will. I believe that the reason God decided to call me to marriage is due to a quote I heard once: "The monastery of the 21st century will be the family." I don't know that God necessarily changes His plans for people, but I do know that I have been called to be a good Catholic mother and raise my children in the faith.

Incidentally, marriage is not a lesser vocation than the religious life. Both are equally important - their just different. I will keep you in my prayers, and I encourage you to continue your discernment process. :gopray2:

[quote="His_helpmeet, post:21, topic:310888"]
Maegan,

You remind me so much of myself when I was a young girl. (I'm 28.) I too believed very strongly that God was calling me to become a religious - I believed He was calling me to enter the Missionaries of Charity (the order Blessed Teresa of Calcutta began).

When I was 16, my grandfather died and my father was diagnosed with cancer. I began to realize that God was calling me to be a nurse, so I entered a nursing degree program. Today, I am finishing a master's degree and teach practical nursing.

Eventually, I began to realize that God was calling me to marriage, that His plans for me were different than what I thought they were. 20 months ago I married my soul mate. He is a devout Catholic convert with a 8-year-old daughter from his first marriage (annulled) who considers me a second mother.

I would encourage you to continue praying and discerning God's will. I believe that the reason God decided to call me to marriage is due to a quote I heard once: "The monastery of the 21st century will be the family." I don't know that God necessarily changes His plans for people, but I do know that I have been called to be a good Catholic mother and raise my children in the faith.

Incidentally, marriage is not a lesser vocation than the religious life. Both are equally important - their just different. I will keep you in my prayers, and I encourage you to continue your discernment process. :gopray2:

[/quote]

Thanks! That was a very inspiring story. :) im just trying to remain as open as i can to God

Cloistered vocations are on the rise:

cloisteredlife.com/

Blessings,
Cloisters

can i ask if you suffer from religious OCD, called scrupulosity ?

This thread is over 6 months old. If you want to communicate directly with the OP, pm her.

thanks for this, but she may not know why i am asking and by now may have forgotten about this or have resolved her question. I’m sure she will see this thread if she gets notifications ?

I suppose, but in cases as in a thread this old it is often likely that the OP has had his/her questions answered and/or has moved on to a different stage of life.

dshix is correct, and I suffer from some scruples, but nothing severe.

I knew you did by how you wrote about wanting to become a nun. I know several people who acquired religous OCD called scruples, and have been getting into more and more scrupulous activities and now want to become nuns. It is the OCD talking, and I told them to seek help for it and then when they have dealt with this with a therapist or understood the difference between true faith and scruples, to then come back to this whole question with a fresh mind, as OCD can trick people and mimick religiousness, but is infact false. Some saints suffered from it and the Islamic faith with all their legalism, is the one with the most sufferers.
Be careful to know what is scruples or OCD. Talk to a priest qualified as a psychologist too, and they will help you. God bless

I agree conpletely! :slight_smile:

There is also an OCarm monastery in Hudson Wisconsin - founded by some nuns from Allentown.

Carmel of the Sacred Heart

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.