Why can't non-Catholics who believe in the real presence receive?

Hello! I have a friend who is a non-Catholic baptized Christian and has come to believe in the real presence and desires to receive, but he is not ready for the RCIA since he still has a number of other issues that he is trying to understand (Mary, authority, etc.). He does not understand why he cannot receive the Eucharist since he believes in the real presence. I tried to use the analogy of an engaged couple not consummating their union prior to the ceremony, even though they are committed in their hearts…but this still doesn’t solve the issue for him. Since non-Catholics are permitted to receive absolution from a priest, why can they not receive the Eucharist (assuming that they believe in the real presence) while they further research the other Catholic issues? I can’t seem to adequately explain this to him. Thank you for your help!

These links should be helpful for understanding why there is no intercommunion with non-Catholics. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Who Can Receive Communion?
*]
Ecclesia de Eucharistia **(Note especially sections 43-46)
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.