Why can't protestants see that Sola Scriptora is broken?

If I can say why I’m not Protestant this is the number one reason

If you go in a typical town in the united states there are 10 Protestant churches all teaching different things

And sola scriptoria is clearly unbiblical

In my town there are the Catholic Church, the Catholic SSPX denomination, the Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox, and the Assyrian Church of the East. They all teach different things but appeal to sacred tradition, all claiming that their iteration of sacred tradition is the true one.

Sacred tradition must clearly be unbiblical.

Why can’t Catholics clearly see that sacred tradition is broken?

See what I did there?

Yep. The issue is not the model of hermeneutics. The issue is not the Holy Spirit teaching “different truths” to different communions, or Christ “lying” about guiding His Church into all truth. The issue is human sin.

Jon

Actually the OP is correct in that sola scriptura is unbiblical. All you did was underscore that Sacred Tradition is important. Thanks!

Yet all of those would agree with.

Sacramants

Hierachy of Bishops, Priests and deacons ordained from those already ordained in apostolic succession (One cannot just ordain oneself a presbyter).

Liturgical customs and calanders and sacred feast days.

They would mostly agree with the seven eccemenical councils, minus obviously the Oriental and assyrian orthodox.

Protestantism would seem much more broken by contrast as a result of sola scriptura. Sola scriptura opens the bag for anyone anywhere to interpret scripture by their conscience. This happens in the ancient churches but nowhere on the level as it does in protestantism.

A little bit broken or a lot broken, I have to take my pick?

The issue is trust. What is so funny about Protestant, is the very thing that they oppose, tradition and the early Church Fathers, is the very thing that preserved the New Testament, that they quote.

How would I know whose sacred tradition I need to be following?

Well if I can walk into a Catholic, Orthodox and Oriental church and see some form of liturgy, a presbyter conducting that liturgy with the people. Each of these values sacred tradition the presbyters before him as well as the people.

Now I walk into a lutheran and then a baptist church there will be totally different atmosphere in both and we could mention the many others as well.

It seems to me the traditional churches fair better than the churches that the reformation produced. Thats also an interesting thing, these churches are all products of the reformation.

Are you saying that man’s sinful state results in him misinterpreting scripture?

Study, honest thought, and listening to the Holy Spirit.

You follow aspects of the “sacred tradition” without realizing it, right now.

Because the bible can be interpreted in** many ways**, yet you have a specific interpretation that you follow right now, and the core message of that interpretation has its origins in “sacred tradition” of the early church fathers.

=IgnatianPhilo;11473663]Yet all of those would agree with.

Sacramants

Hierachy of Bishops, Priests and deacons ordained from those already ordained in apostolic succession (One cannot just ordain oneself a presbyter).

Liturgical customs and calanders and sacred feast days.

They would mostly agree with the seven eccemenical councils, minus obviously the Oriental and assyrian orthodox.

Lutherans would agree with these, also, but it seems Catholics and Orthodox don’t agree on the meaning of, for example, Nicea canon 6.

Protestantism would seem much more broken by contrast as a result of sola scriptura. Sola scriptura opens the bag for anyone anywhere to interpret scripture by their conscience. This happens in the ancient churches but nowhere on the level as it does in protestantism.

Not if properly understood. Sola scriptura is actually intended to prevent this, by holding all teachers and teachings, doctrines and dogma accountable to scripture. Sola scriptura is not individual or private interpretation. It is a practice of the Church (in my case, the Lutheran communion within the Church Catholic).

Jon

If you walked into my church you would see a liturgy being led by a presbyter. That means my church is doing pretty well right?

Of course. ISTM that is why there were ecumenical councils.

Jon

Indeed. Lutherans are fine with tradition, I support it wholeheartedly.

Then someone isn’t thinking, studying or being guided by the Holy Spirit, because there are a whole bunch in my town claiming that THEY are the true one.

SPX doesn’t have any historical roots so I would automatically cross them off.

Regarding Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox I researched both in great depth before I returned to the Catholic Church and would also say I considered Lutheran Missouri synod.

Why I’m not Lutheran is very clear not balanced in history and very unbiblical when it comes to sola Fieda and sola scriptoria

Why I’m not Eastern Orthodox and I tried, it is to mono cultural and jesus is for all people at all times

The second I went into our lady of sorrows in north bend washington I knew it was the church for all people at all times that jesus founded. We must have 7 different languages spoken and people from all over the world all worshipping jesus in the same way.

I know very little about your tradition of Islam, Suni. It seems we share that about each other. :wink: :smiley:
One cannot make blanket statement about protestants because the term lacks any meaning other than an easy way to describe the various western non-Catholic communions.
Lutherans are not opposed to tradition or Tradition. We rely on it. We simply recognize it as a witness to the truth of scripture, not equal to it, and the reason for that is what House said: the failure those who claim Tradition to be equal to scripture to agree on what it means.

Jon

Who decides what teachings, doctrines, and dogmas are in the bible. More importantly, who decides what all these mean. You are back to private interpretation…you cannot get away from it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.