Why can't someone suffering with SSA become a priest?

I’ve been struggling with this question because it is near and dear to me. I saw another thread about it from a while ago, but the answers were more of a debate than a straight up answer and I didn’t see any apologists answer. I’ve had SSA my whole life and its a rough cross to carry, but nothing is impossible.

I recently graduated high school and am discerning what it is I want to do with my life. Since as long as I can remember, I’ve felt a calling to priesthood. There have been specific signs throughout my childhood that to me point directly to it. However, I came across something that said people with " Deep-seated Homosexual tendencies" cannot be admitted to seminary unless it is part of a “transitory problem.” However, these deep-seated homosexual tendencies are not really defined. It said that people who suffer with it should be accepted with sensitivity, but that makes it sound as if it includes anyone who has same sex attraction.

I completely understand why someone living a homosexual lifestyle or someone who condones it would not be accepted into a seminary, but why not someone who has chosen to follow the Church’s teaching and follow their faith?

I really just want to know if being a priest is something that would be realistic for me. I’m not out and I believe in what the Church teaches. In fact I regularly defend Her stance on homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

Thank you and please keep me in your prayers as I go on this journey!
-Brian

These links should help you better understand the Church’s position on SSA and the Priesthood. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Can I be a priest if I have SSA?

Does the Church allow homosexual priests?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.