Why can't women serve God like males do?

Even in the Old Testament he compares his relationship with Israel as a husband-himself- and wife-Israel. Why he does this, I don’t know. Apparently symbolism is important to God.

God didn’t do this. The way most of the writers of the Bible chose to convey the image was God=male church=female. God did not choose this. I guess the males(who were the writers back then) liked the idea of the male having all the power and again, a reason to mistreat females. But doesn’t it say that God is beyond humans, unimaginable to them? I think that God may have used a male image to make him/her easier to understand. God isn’t really even a person. No human concept can describe him/her, so in conclusion there is no reason not to let females serve other than wrotten tradition. And again, what is right is not always popular. What is popular is not always right.

Also in the debate I want no posts that say stuff like “That belief is from hell.” That only increases anger. Thank you!:slight_smile:

Who says they don’t?! Women have always served in the Church that has been a big part of my life.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at… God called Himself ‘Him’. Jesus was a ‘Him’. Jesus, aka God, refered to the Church as a bride, and Himself as a bridegroom. These are not constructs of men, but archetypes created by God. Perhaps you should look up Theology of the Body, and the stuff by Christopher West. They can explain it much better than I can.

This has been discussed numerous times.
Ordination of Women

Why Women Can’t Be Priest

Women Priest

I disagree with you God did do this. He is in charge of His Church.

Yes, but men play a much bigger part in it. Priests, deacons, even the pope, can only be male. This is racism. God didn’t call him/her/itself a ‘he’, humans did. Or rather males. Males wrote the Bible when women had basically no rights. A male creator would obviously be more preferable.

Maybe God did choose to convey him/her/itself in a masculine way just so we’d better understand God. But that doesn’t mean women can’t do the same things men do to serve God. So what is the reason for this?

I am a woman, and I am a servant of God. Why can’t I serve God like males do? For the same reason that men can not serve God like I do.

You might want to rethink that a little bit…

And how do you serve God? I mean, no one can copy the exact way YOU do it, but the thing is some women want to be considered equal and be priests but they can’t. So basically men can do anything women can do in Catholicism, but women can’t do everything that men can do. Again, what is the reason for this, and how is it not racism?

Jesus, the Son of Man, was male. He also referred to His Father as “Abba” meaning FATHER.

To me it is obvious.

God chose different roles for males and females in terms of humanity. Women being the child bearers. This can never change. Was God being UNFAIR? If he wanted everything to be “equal” so to speak we would all be ASEXUAL.

Same thing with the church. Different roles for males and females. They should have the very same dignity, however.

Just my :twocents:

RACISM? Oh, come on now…

Which one are you? Christian, Buddhist, Wiccan?

Jesus chose 12 MALE APOSTLES, the first hierarchy. The church has ZERO right to change this, per the Pope.

Women cannot act in “persona Christi”

A woman cannot be married to a bride.

As Mothers, human women already serve God in a greater way than human men can ever hope to do. Why would we aspire to downgrade our position by being EQUAL to men? :wink:

Additionally, I have heard it said that men need this spiritual connection to God more than women do. I don’t know about that, but perhaps there is some validity to it for some people. I don’t think about it too much because I have no desire to be a priest, a deacon, or anything else, I’m happy to be a Mom and (someday!) a Grandma!

Happiness is not found by getting what you want, it’s found in wanting what you have!

For the same reasons men can’t have babies.

Ok, so you reject the Divine inspiration of the Bible–if you are a Catholic or other kind of Christian, you should probably resolve that very basic issue before you focus on women’s ordination.

The Church is the Body of Christ. In a body, the different members have different functions. The fingers don’t have the same function as the kidneys, the spleen has a different function than the lymph nodes, the elbows have a different function than the biceps. They all work together for the same end, but they all have their own unique role.

Accept God’s will for you and live it instead of complaining that you or others can’t have the role they want.

racism
One entry found for racism.
Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

The argument is one of pride which comes before the fall.

There is a tendency today for many groups to find comfort and indignation in “oppression”. Feminists in particular. Even in the Catholic Church especially (it seems) the Sisters of Mercy. For these groups, everything boils down to some sort of power struggle between us and them.

For the sake of argument, lets assume that this is all not just some plot by men to oppress women, that the men don’t really all get together every Tuesday night to figure out how to pull this off.

A brilliant (IMO) insight into the roles of men and women in general is provided by JP2’s Theology of the Body. You can google it. Here are 2 short articles which are just summaries, but wonderful nonetheless.

theologyofthebody.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=48

holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/edwardpsri/loveandresponsibility/12.asp

What I’m saying is that it doesn’t matter what gender Jesus was. It’'s not like he could be a shim because he had to be incarnated as a human. Gender doesn’t matter.

Child birth has nothing to do with the Church, so I don’t know why it is continueously being brought up. Why can’t women serve God in the way that men do? They could, unlike men producing babies, but people don’t allow it.

It is not racism. In God’s eyes everyone is equal, yet each person has a different job. It is like how the Holy Trinity functions. Simple.

God speed.

Vigis

What does that have to do with anything being discussed here?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.