Why Catholic?

I am looking to different religions, so my questions are :
1) Why did you become Catholic?
2) Did you do research in to other religions first?
3) And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it? :smiley:

[quote=sambar]I am looking to different religions, so my questions are :
3) And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it? :smiley:
[/quote]

1. My parents were Catholic and they had me baptized as Catholic. Over the 28 years I’ve walk the earth, I haven’t been convinced to leave it for another religion or any of those ecclessial communities.

2. Yes. But I have trouble imagining someone finding the time to comprehensively researched all the religions and all the ecclessial communities on the face of the earth before making the decision to jump ship or to stay put or to stay away from it all. I mean, for ecclessial communities, for instance, there’s one new every week.

3. Because the God of the Catholics have loved Man far more than any of the gods of the other religions and ecclessial communities have.

Peace, bring it on, baby!

1. Why did you become Catholic?

2. Did you do research in to other religions first?

3. And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it? :smiley:
    [/quote]

4. I reverted because I found a religion rich in scripture, tradition, revelation, and strength. It is the only Christian church that has stayed the same (semper idem) and is instituted by Jesus Christ himself 33AD!

5. Oh yeah. For four years of hard study and reading, I was Buddhist, New Age, Wiccan, Christian Wiccan, and Pentecostal. Almost got into Baha’ism and Islam. But Catholicism in the end triumphed over my heart.

6. I love the Catholic church because it is ancient, and reveres the sacredness found in nature and in the Holy Eucharist. It is through the beauty of its ritual (aka the mass) where Jesus Christ truly manifests Himself in our worship.

I love the lives of the saints who behaved with heroic virtue and faith even when faced with painful torture, execution, and lives of immense sacrifice for the sake of the gospel delivered in its fullness to the Catholic Church.

3. And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it? :smiley:
    [/quote]
  1. I have always been Catholic since birth. I was not so sure about the faith untill a few years ago when I started studying it to see if there was truth in it. I found that the history behind it was too strong to forget about and just leave the Catholic Church.

2. I have looked into other religions. I have done some research into Protestantism and the Eastern Orthodox. I haven’t done much research outside of that though. All Christian religions.

3. The history. The fact that The Catholic Church of Today has a connection to the Apostles. The fact that they actually succeed the Apostles in authority and teaching. The Apostles appointed the second generation bishops, then the second generation appointed the third generation, and so fourth all the way up to the present. We also have a connection to the saints of the 3rd, 8th, and 13th centuries and all others. Saint Francis was our father in the Church. He is an example for us of how to follow God.

The Communion of Saints. The Catholic Church teaches that we all become one in the Church. We are all one big family. You are like a sister in the Church. When we die we do not cease to be part of this family, but we become even more a part of it as we become more like Christ and grow in our love for God. That is why the saints can pray for us. They are more alive than any of us. Most of all we come into communion with God through our communion with the Church and all its saints.

The Mass. I love the Mass. It is our chance to worship with the saints and Angels in heaven. We proclaim with the Angels, “Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts. Heaven and earth are full of Thy glory. Hosanna in the highest.”[The Sanctus; Isaiah6] It is when Heaven and Earth meet.

I researched and studied and asked “tons” of questions about the Catholic church. God, working through our Blessed Mother brought me home to the ONLY church established by Jesus Christ.

The more my protestant brothers and sisters “slammed” the church and accused her of all sorts of wrong teachings and beliefs, the more I researched to see if they were right. They were wrong on ALL COUNTS. :smiley:

If one is told that Catholics “worship” idols and Mary, instead of just blindly believing this, they need to research the truth for themselves. Not NON-Catholic publications, but go right to the source, Mother church herself. If I wanted to understand the teachings of, say the Southern Baptist, I would go to THEM and NOT the Methodist or C oc C or what ever. The same holds with the Catholic Church.

I could spend forever telling people why I love my Catholic Faith :thumbsup: ,but the realization that I receive my Lord and Savior in the Holy Eucharist brings me the greatest joy and peace. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

4. I converted from Protestantism for one main reason: Church authority. Because this is the Church that can trace its roots back to Christ and the Apostles.

5. If you count spending ten years as a Protestant, most definitely yes. As far as non-Christian religions, to some extent, but I never seriously considered any.

6. I love so many things about being Catholic. I think more than anything I love the Eucharist, partaking in the Body and Blood of Christ! Second to that I love the communion of saints, being in relationship with the great Christians of all the ages, and knowing that they intercede for me. After that, I love the doctrines of the Church. They are exact and universal, and I can finally know what to do and not to do, what to believe and not to believe, which I never knew as a Protestant because everyone disagreed.

I hope this is the kind of answer you are seeking. May you be blessed in your search for Truth!

Mary

[/quote]

I was born into the faith. (Boring answer, I know)

1. Did you do research in to other religions first?

I’ve looked, but none have struck me as truly supportable. Some I have looked at are: Protestant religions; Sihk; Jehovah’s Witnesses; Orthodox. Orthodox is the only one I would say that, If I left the Catholic Chuch, I would go there.

1. And other than your believe that God started the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it? :smiley:

Well, God -the Father- did not start the Catholic Church: His Son did. That aside, why do I stay/recommend/love about it?

It is the amount of love that I receive from Jesus. I am able to actually share with Him His spirit when I take the Eucharist;

I have some reassurance of eternal life after earthly death;

I assume that I will be able to be with my family members (the ones that make it!) once I gain entry to heaven;

Look at Christ on the crucifix…how many other deities or prophets or othe spiritual leaders would do that for you? He did it for all mankind! That’s COMMITMENT!!! Have you read the crucifixion stories? Do this and you will understand much better. Or see “The Passion of the Christ” Then you’ll understand.

Buddha was wise, but not God. Mohammad didn’t live the life he preached, I lose my individuality in far eastern religions - “becoming one with everything”. The protestants are just seperated Catholics, anyway.

If everyone really practiced Christianly as it was meant to be, the world would have no war, crime, sorrow from injustice, or any other man made problem. The Catholic Church preaches and practices constantly.

And the bottom line is love. As stated in the bible,

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

The religion teaches us to love. It also says that it is a journey, so perfection is not expected, but should be strived for. It says that the reward for the journey, when properly done, is eternity in heaven…as yourself…eternally happy.

What’s better than that?

Veni spirtus sanctus,
Subrosa

:smiley:
    [/quote]

Actually I was born and raised a Catholic, but then fell away from the Catholic faith for a long time. Pretty much a conglomeration of atheist, protestant, new age, buddha and patriot, but never Islam.

1. Did you do research in to other religions first?

I was seeking the truth, more than comparing religions. I didn’t care where I found it.

1. And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it?

I think right here you left out the most important thing in my faith or anyones faith. Faith is a gift of God. It is entirely because of the Holy Spirit, that I am Catholic (with not even a hint of protestant).

In my days of searching for the truth, I just couldn’t ever accept that the Eucharist transubstantiated. My bullheadedness just couldn’t accept the reasonability of this, ( also this is how I see knowledgeable protestants).

Then one day, I read Revelations out loud, like it says too. If you do this you will receive a blessing. This started me down the road, of tribulation, and a few years later I met the Holy Spirit. These tribulations were a blessing in my mind. Looking back, I think it was the Holy Spirit readying me, for his encounter.

Once I ecountered the Holy Spirit, I was done with all the other belief systems, and became a devout Catholic.

I would recommend the Catholic Faith to others, because if people can meet the Holy Spirit, then Love will abound in their life. Secondly, because it is the true church of Jesus Christ.

Chipper

I grew up in a Catholic family. The Philipines major Christian Religion is Roman Catholic. I love the Church, Adore Christ who is forever present in the Holy Eucharist, and I love the lives of the Saints. These Christian men and women shows me what being Christian is being about.

Since I joined the Army, the 1st Base I was assigned to did not have a Catholic Church nearby. A soldier invited me to a non-denominational Christian Church. The preacher was cool and the way he teaches was kinda not to stereotype did show the typical protestant preacher yelled jumped, sweated and show a lot of emotion. He condemned the Catholic Church for its heresies against the Bible and idol worship of Mary. I did not find it comfortable at all. I didn’t felt Christ was present like He is present in the Eucharist. Later on, the people started to speak in “tongues” which to me sounded like an alien language. Speaking in tongues as I recall in the Acts, if you speak in your language like English, an Arabic person can hear you speak Arabic and a Chinese person can hear you speak Chinese. Germany was even worse, I went to another Church same one different preacher. My roommate invited me to his church and see people jumping up and down claiming to possesed by the Holy Spirit. My point in this reply. None of these Churches made me comfortable at all. I did not feel the presence of God in any of them.

3. And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it?
    What can I say? Catholic Church history dates back to the Apostles, and Christ is there and I look forward recieving him during Mass.
    :smiley:
    [/quote]

…born and raised Catholic…

…strayed in my mind for 20 years, then returned…

…took it upon myself to learn why we believe like we believe, and recommitted myself…

…yeah, i’m where i belong…

…keep searching, studying, …but remember, all roads lead to Rome!

I wish you Peace in your search:thumbsup:

[/quote]

1. Because I believe in the authority of the Holy Scripture and it clearly shows that Jesus instituted the Catholic Church.

2. Very much so. I was a Methodist, and fooled around with Buddhism and Gnosticism in college, most recently I was investigating the Mennonites until I figured out they were Calvinists, I’m slow I’ll admit it.

3. The Sacraments, and sacramentals, the Tradition and tradition. the Blessed Mother, and most importantly the Real Presence.

This is a cool question - thanks for asking.

3. And other than your believe that God stated the Catholic church, why else would you reccomened it to someone else: in other words, What do you love about it?
  1. My father’s family is Catholic and the three of us kids were baptized and received our first communion. I was the only one confirmed. We never went to church as a family, except for said events. I do recall going to mass with my grandfather when we visited him. I also went to mass myself the year I was confirmed.

Around my parents’ divorce, I stopped being Catholic in my mind.

1. Around the age of 20, I began seeking God in my life. As a mother of a two-year-old and not married, I’d realized my life was way off track. I was invited to a very conservative Protestant church and joined it. I thought it was right and the Catholics were wrong. I got fed a lot of “How come they do this?” and the reasons why the Catholics did it wrong. I left that church 5 yrs later for various reasons.

Last year, as I continue my efforts at a college education, I took a world religions course. I learned an excellent overview of the major religions in the world. Felt at the end of that course that all religions were in a very basic essence - the same. We all came from something higher, we’re going back to it - and we should be good in the meantime.

1. What do I love about the Catholic Church? SO GLAD YOU ASKED!!

While it took me another eight months to heed the call of the Holy Spirit and acknowledge that Mary (who had led me to pray the rosary) had been interceding for me - I have returned to the Church and the Catholic Faith.

Things I love:
A) Confession. While I dreaded it as a child, and while I still shake when I’m next and my knees buckle as I enter the confessional, I have never felt such love and mercy and grace in all my life. And I feel it every time.

B) The Mass. A child’s understanding and a childish memory do not do the Mass justice. I understand the Mass (granted, I’ve done a LOT of reading in the last two-and-a-half months!) and I grasp more of what’s being done now than I ever did - even after five years of Catholic schooling.

C) The Eucharist. May every time be as deep and emotional as when I received it upon my return. May we never, ever forget that each time we receive, we become more like our Savior.

D) Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Time to spend with our Lord. In prayer or in silence. Just listen. He really does talk to you if you’re willing to listen. No, not audibly - just listen with your spirit - write things down… He really does reveal himself to you.

E) The Easter Triduum. I never knew about these three days growing up. I attended Holy Thursday, Good Friday and the Easter Vigil this year and I will do so as long as God gives me breath. Again - so very deep and emotional and —WHOA— could I have some more adjectives?? Words do not do it justice.

F) The May Processional of the Rosary. On May 1, people gathered to walk and pray the rosary. It’s moving to pray the rosary with a group. Then the procession of the statue of Mary and the singing and the prayer. Hope you have one of these - it was beautiful.

G) Schubert Mass in G. A 75-voice choir and musicians from two fantastic orchestras provided the music and the moving inspiration of this mass at our Cathedral this past Sunday. It’s amazing - hope you get a chance to hear it sometime.

Really - if I had known there were so many beautiful and moving reasons to be Catholic - I would have come back LONG ago. Yes, I know - hindsight is 20/20.

I realize I have listed reasons that are not like what others have listed, and they may seem superficial… there are many others… and if I have time, I’ll come back and tell you about them!

=)
Kat

1. I was raised Catholic, but left for most of my adult life and have recently came back. The logical consistancy led me back and every time I had a question about something there was a good answer that was logically and historically supportable. It really is a fulfillment of Judiasm, for the whole world.

2. I spent time in several other Bible Christian Churches and looked at Islam and Buddism.

3. What do I love about the Catholic Church…

How close a relationship it has brought me with Jesus Christ and how fulfilling a faith it is. The intellectual reason is this, it is the only faith that truly frees you to, as I have said in other posts, you can stand on the shoulders of giants and really grow in knowledge and understanding. The consistancy of doctrine, allows you to leave the bickering of doctrine behind and free your intellect to mature in the faith.

Scylla

1. I became a Catholic after 2 years of research into Catholicism and recognized the absolute truth of It.

2. I spent 30 years in and out of the lutherans, methodists, church of God, and jehovah’s witnesses. None were spiritually fulfilling, none contained truth with which I could not argue and all left me flat. I was a “nothing” for a very long time in between these forays.

3. I not only recommend, but urge and implore each and every lover of God to study The Holy Catholic Church because having done so, only one conclusion can be reached; the Church is the one and only bearer of God’s truth.

And had my family not been so virulently anti-Catholic, I know I would not have 30 wasted years behind me.

[/quote]

After many years of searching different demoninations and different religious I found myself being called to the Catholic Church. In short, this is where I found Jesus. I love being in the presense of the Lord in the presense the Eucharist.

I was babtized Catholic…but unfortunately thats is far as it went my parents who not unlike many other Catholics didnt attend Mass regularly. I really did not know God like I do now. When I was a teen I was influenced by my Protestant Uncle and was “born again” I really felt like I had found Jesus Christ. It wasnt until several years later when talking to a Catholic friend did I really get to know the Church…I was trying to debate with him…actually I was trying to convert him. The more I tried to disprove Catholicism the more I realized that everthing the Church believes is revealed in Scripture. I cant think of any Catholic belief that I cant back up through scripture…I’m not saying I folllow a sola scripta belief but the Catholic Church is unique in the fact that it follows Gods law to it’s fullest and I dont see that anywhere else. What exactly are you having issues with? I would be more than happy to discuss.

[/quote]

4. I was born into a Catholic family with a very devout grandmother as my guide!

5. I’ve read about other religions and belonged to a Presbyterian youth group as a teenager because my church didn’t have one but I never felt drawn away as I felt complete in my own Church. Any time a doubt has crept up planted by popular culture or other religions, I always find a full and satisfying answer in the Catholic faith.

6. I love the feeling of grace that binds us as its spread around from one another through prayer and interaction. I love that Jesus gave us the role of pope- spiritual shepherd- to guide us to Christ’s truths without error. I love that as a teenager, I heard Pope John Paul II say that the young of the Church are “The hope of the world, the Church and the Pope”. Pope John Paul II had a special relationship with the young and I’m moved to tears everytime I think about the words that he said as he lay dying about the young people who were singing and praying for him in the Square below, “I looked for you and now you’ve come to me and I thank you.” I love the Church because it is True!

I got a copy of “The Pillar of Fire, The Pillar of Truth” at World Youth Day in 1993 and now it’s online:

catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

I was born Catholic

I have attended many services of all types in many other churches.

I would recommend the Catholic Church because there is satisfaction of oneness with Christ that I experience only in the Catholic Church.

I enjoy the other Churches but always feel like something is missing.

[list=1]
*]I was raised partially as a Southern Bapist (we attended church until I was about 7) then occaisionally went to some other churches usually Pentecostal.
*]I joined the Navy as a “No Religous Preference”.
*]Then after about a decade or more of sex, drugs, and rock & roll I became a Seventh Day Adventist.
*]After about 18 months of that I left and started “partying” again when I met my wife who was then a non-practicing (other than having her daughter baptised, and occaisional Christmas an Easter) Catholic.
*]After we were married 4 years she got pregnant with our first son, and we decided we wanted to start attending church.
*]We started attending the local Catholic parish.
*]I still had “Adventist” baggage (Seventh Day Adventists are very anti-Catholic) so I was pretty reluctant to become Catholic.
*]But after we had an argument one day, I decided to see what it was about, went to RCIA and was “surprised by truth” (to coin the title of a book) . I have now been Catholic 7 years, and believe absolutely it is the “One True Church” Christ founded.:slight_smile:
[/list]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.