Why Catholicism?

After all these insults on the Catholic Church (which hurts and frustratres me more than anything) makes me think more and more about the other religions…

In other words, it seems to me like the CC is the only religion that gets attacks and insults on but NEVER any other religion! What’s up with that?

I guess we should be grateful for that since it is the Church our Lord established!:stuck_out_tongue:

I think a lot of faiths get attacked in this way, mainly from Fundamentalist groups, just check out this bunch of nutcases, they’re so busy finding ways to attack people, they seem to have forgotten what it was all about to start off with!

'Cause Satan doesn’t like us.

In all the years of answering questions I have found that it can only be a good thing ultimately- you learn to trust that their is no question the Church cannot answer, you just have to have a little faith.

In the eyes of those who hate the Catholic Church it can do no right. No matter what the Church does or says something must be wrong with it. This hatred is not merely human ego, although there is a lot of that, it’s also demonic, as sententia cited.

G. K. Chesterton wrote that once a man stops attacking the Church and starts to treat it fairly he finds himself attracted to it. This is true for many people, and I think people can sense that that’s true which is why they fight so hard against the Church.

They even say that people become Catholic because they become attracted to its sensuality–the sights, sounds, and smells, as if it were only that. But, it goes much deeper than that, which they also know (even if they won’t admit it), and they simply don’t want to be Catholic and have to submit themselves to the Church’s authority. Not when they can set themselves up as their own pope, believe what they want, and do whatever they want.

[quote=FightingFat]I think a lot of faiths get attacked in this way, mainly from Fundamentalist groups!
[/quote]

And, of course, fundamentalists themselves are the most univerally attacked and derided religious group (yes, more even than Catholics, though the difference is that enemies of Catholicism are rarely so stupid as to despise it).

Edwin

[quote=Contarini]And, of course, fundamentalists themselves are the most univerally attacked and derided religious group (yes, more even than Catholics, though the difference is that enemies of Catholicism are rarely so stupid as to despise it).

Edwin
[/quote]

Well, maybe in your exalted circles the enemies of Catholicism are “rarely so stupid as to despise it” :wink: but there are plenty of people who are stupid enough to despise the Catholic Church. And lo, they are legion! Unfortunately. :frowning:

You know, I’ve often wondered if the Church could win more converts from protestant groups here in the South if it started an evangelization program announcing it is the ORIGINAL Fundamentalist church…being that, uh, our Lord founded it.

[quote=Contarini]And, of course, fundamentalists themselves are the most univerally attacked and derided religious group (yes, more even than Catholics, though the difference is that enemies of Catholicism are rarely so stupid as to despise it).

Edwin
[/quote]

Hut, Hut… Actually I think Mormons or JW’s are more attacked than any other. Of course, they take pride in this, thinking that that makes their religion all the more true. And, I don’t know what world you live in, but there are an astounding number of people who are “so stupid as to despise” the Catholic Church. :smiley:

Hut, Hut… Actually I think Mormons or JW’s are more attacked than any other. Of course, they take pride in this, thinking that that makes their religion all the more true.

Some take it so far that any reasonable discussion contrary to their religion is taken as a direct attack-kind of a martyrdom complex.

Yes, there are plenty of folks that exhibit their ignorance and stupidity aplenty in their attacks against Christ’s Holy Church. Sometimes though, the more they hate the Church the harder they fall in love with the Church once they deny themselves and take up the Cross. :thumbsup:

I actually asked Dr. Storey ,a history Professor at Lamar whos specitly is religious history in the south, and he told me:
1.The (protestant) england (catholic) France conflict contributed to it as obvously we had a lot of origional settlers that were English Protestants, and that the wars with the Catholics france really heated it up.
2.The Puritan influence
3.During the 18th century the Catholic Church was more identified as an “other” by their inclusivness (seemed like they were hiding things)
4.Irish and Itilian imagrents who couldn’t find jobs during that time frame turned into rather vitious Gang which most people distand of (like the KKK) and of course those countries were known as Catholic
5.and people thought that their loyalty was with the Pope and not country and would sell the country out when the Pope said to in fear of going to hell, which can be seen when the demacrates ran a catholic (I can’t remeber his name right now sorry) in 1920 and more infoumously with Kennedy in 1960. This being something that my protestant aunt who was ten at the time spoke of from then as a sencear fear.
6. Not being something he said but, I would figure that the reformation era attitude never really died out in europe till after well after the U.S. severed relations with (hence not getting any of that neutrality which may or may not have occured I don’t know)

Though it is true protestants feud among themshelves but, that doesn’t get as big or as much noterioty as their age old fued with us.

To be sure, all factions and parties of Christianity disagree to some degree. It might appear to be more severe toward the Catholics, but I think that it’s for a number of reasons.
Firstly, the RCC is still and probably will remain the largest faction of Christianity. Many of the largest Protestant groups on the other hand DO fight on a united front. For example, the ELCA, RC-USA, UCC, UMC, Episcopal Church, etc. are all in full communion and fellowship with one another. They all agree to disagree and therefore they are left to argue with those who aren’t so easily led into apathy.

They HAVE to attack it. If the Church is what it claims to be, they lose all of their power, and much more thatn that. You can find site after site filled with hate when referencing the Church, buy you’ll never find a Catholic site spreading hate and lies about any other religion. Why? Because we know we’re right, so there’s no reason to attack. They attack because they fear that they are wrong.

[quote=Jabronie]They HAVE to attack it. If the Church is what it claims to be, they lose all of their power, and much more thatn that. You can find site after site filled with hate when referencing the Church, buy you’ll never find a Catholic site spreading hate and lies about any other religion. Why? Because we know we’re right, so there’s no reason to attack. They attack because they fear that they are wrong.
[/quote]

I think you nailed it.

For many, just the existence of the Catholic Church creates a big hole in their authority, so they naturally hate the Church.

Some of the attacks are part of a big con game though. Look how many attacks are based on pure nonsense (Jack Chick, et al). By convincing the ignorant that the Church is a malevolent entity, they build up their own followings by attacking it.

[quote=Jabronie]They HAVE to attack it. If the Church is what it claims to be, they lose all of their power, and much more thatn that. You can find site after site filled with hate when referencing the Church, buy you’ll never find a Catholic site spreading hate and lies about any other religion. Why? Because we know we’re right, so there’s no reason to attack. They attack because they fear that they are wrong.
[/quote]

Perfectly said!

[quote=sententia]'Cause Satan doesn’t like us.
[/quote]

:amen:
Best thing I’ve ever seen.

Why Catholicism?

(1) Because they are attacking it.

(2) Because they would accept even me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.