Why Christianity?

Supposing someone has come to believe that there is a God. Let us also suppose that he has come to believe that if it’s Christianity, it’s gotta be Catholicism.

So the question to remove the gap would be, “Why Christianity?” Of all the religions and belief systems in the world, what makes Christianity more real than the rest? For the truly faithful, why do you believe that the Truth is in Christianity and not in any other religions, some of which also make (equally?) plausible and sensible claims?

I believe Christianity is true because it is based on historical events and not just on someone’s ideas.

Also because Jesus is the only founder of a religion that ever claimed to be God and I believe He was telling the truth. If He wasn’t telling the truth He was either lying or insane and I don’t have reason to believe He was either of those. Actually, I have reason to believe He wasn’t either of those.

For more on the divinity of Jesus you can go here.

Of course these reasons kind of presuppose that the Bible is historical fact. Maybe you should look into arguments for the historicity of the Gospels. shrug

How funny: I saw the OP and went straight to Peter Kreeft’s site to get a link, and then I read your post.

Anyway, here is another of Kreeft’s writings that you might find useful, Bubuy. And welcome to the forums (to both of you)!

I always find the detail of the Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament help.

But also the fact that the apostles (except St John) died horrific martyrdoms for something they clearly would have known if it were not true (i.e. this makes it different to Islamic suicide bombers)

There was some old saying, was’nt there, that you will not rest until you rest in Me.

Logically only one thing can be true at any one time. You, or one, just needs to find that one thing which attracts one so much that it drives one to ask these types of questions. Logically one should also be able to recognize when this thing in them is being addressed or not.

I think because it deals directly with the soul of the human being.

Guy says “You’re not real.” Other guy says, “I am real.” What makes the 2nd guy’s statement more real than the 1st guy’s?

Peter Kreeft = My hero :). Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the replies. I am now checking out some of the referred works of Peter Kreeft. I also came across The Everlasting Man by GK Chesterton while searching for Christian apologetics, and maybe start reading it sometime soon.

Richard, care to elaborate more on your post? :smiley: Subjectivism was the first thing that came to mind, but it’d be great to know what you meant by it.:smiley:

Because Jesus truly God and truly human, came on earth for all people, not just for some. Whether individuals know Him or not, He came for all.
This is why the centrality of Christianity

Why not Christianity? Answer me this, I keep asking atheists this and not one can give me a good an answer.

Great OP and a great question! :thumbsup:

For me, we are all climbing a mountain and God is at the top. There is lots of truth in a lot of faiths- shards of the light of God reflected in the spiritual ponderings of man. One could come to some knowledge of God through any of these paths. Jesus Christ, however, is God revealed most clearly to man. The incarnation of God’s Holy Word to man and thus the most complete Word God has spoken to us. He is the intersection of man’s constant, ever-present search for God and God’s eternal reaching out to man!

Well, it makes sense to me that “if” there is a God and if “He” cares about what man does on Earth then He would reveal His will for man in a clear way and it would be applicable for all time.

I further believe that what the revelation says to us would be rational, consistent with the observable “natural law” and self-consistent.

I am not so sure that all religions equally foot the bill.

Chuck

:amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.