Why Christians do not follow Jewish ceremonial laws

The answer has been laying around for centuries. Augustine seems to have written about everything, including this.

If you read Exodus carefully, you see that God gave Moses the covenant laws of the Decalogue (ten commandments). But, after the golden calf incident, there came a ton of laws, the familiar ceremonial laws.

The latter, which we now disregard, are referred to as the symbolic laws.

It’s as if God said, OK, you want to have worship ceremonies and such, OK, you’ve got 'em. Their pension to these worship ceremonies of the Egyptians got the Israelites into trouble this way, so God gave them (through Moses) these onerous laws and ceremonies to follow.

Those laws were meant to teach them how to relate to God and to their neighbors.

But, those are the laws that were fulfilled by Christ, and we follow Him and his teachings instead. The details of this are described in “Letter and Spirit Vol 7” put out by Scott Hahn and his salvation history organization.

I have always thought that these laws reflected YHWH's perfect will and I have tried to follow them as well as I could. I do believe that the sacrifices have been fulfilled by the one sacrifice of Christ. But the rest, including dietary laws I have worked hard to follow over the last twelve or thirteen years. I do not believe that one is bound to follow these laws as Christ has set us free, but I do my best to follow them because I believe that this is the Father's perfect will. Of course another discussion would be the Father's PERMISSIBLE will. I respect those who do not feel obliged to follow these laws, but this is the path that I have chosen as a private discipline.

[quote="sirach2v4, post:1, topic:333887"]
The answer has been laying around for centuries. Augustine seems to have written about everything, including this.

If you read Exodus carefully, you see that God gave Moses the covenant laws of the Decalogue (ten commandments). But, after the golden calf incident, there came a ton of laws, the familiar ceremonial laws.

The latter, which we now disregard, are referred to as the symbolic laws.

It's as if God said, OK, you want to have worship ceremonies and such, OK, you've got 'em. Their pension to these worship ceremonies of the Egyptians got the Israelites into trouble this way, so God gave them (through Moses) these onerous laws and ceremonies to follow.

Those laws were meant to teach them how to relate to God and to their neighbors.

But, those are the laws that were fulfilled by Christ, and we follow Him and his teachings instead.** The details of this are described in "Letter and Spirit Vol 7" put out by Scott Hahn and his salvation history organization**.

[/quote]

:D:D:D Or you could read Paul's letter to the Romans......or Paul's letter to the Galatians........or Paul's letter to the Colossians.

Galatians 3

Law or Faith

3 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit[a] by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun with the Spirit, are you now ending with the flesh? 4 Did you experience so many things in vain?—if it really is in vain. 5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith?

Romans 3

Righteousness through Faith

21 But now, apart from law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed, and is attested by the law and the prophets, 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ[d] for all who believe. For there is no distinction, 23 since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; 24 they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement[e] by his blood, effective through faith. He did this to show his righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over the sins previously committed; 26 it was to prove at the present time that he himself is righteous and that he justifies the one who has faith in Jesus.[f]

Colossians 2

Fullness of Life in Christ

6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, continue to live your lives* in him, 7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe,[c] and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10 and you have come to fullness in him, who is the head of every ruler and authority. 11 In him also you were circumcised with a spiritual circumcision,[d] by putting off the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ; 12 when you were buried with him in baptism, you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And when you were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God[e] made you[f] alive together with him, when he forgave us all our trespasses, 14 erasing the record that stood against us with its legal demands. He set this aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed[g] the rulers and authorities and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in it.

16 Therefore do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food and drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or sabbaths. 17 These are only a shadow of what is to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. 18 Do not let anyone disqualify you, insisting on self-abasement and worship of angels, dwelling[h] on visions, puffed up without cause by a human way of thinking,[j] 19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the whole body, nourished and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows with a growth that is from God.***

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.