Why clinging to Jesus alone is extremely dangerous

I have heard many say, “All I need is Jesus! No one and nothing else!”

But this is dangerous, though it seems pious.

If you only need Jesus, than you do not need God’s Mercy. For what will Mercy profit you if you have Jesus? He is enough for you! He is your Lord and Savior, not the Mercy of God, says you.

If you do not need God’s Mercy, than you do not need Redemption. For why need to be redeemed at all if you do not need Mercy? You are fine and well with Jesus and your good works prove it! Why, it would be foolish of you to cling to the Cross, for it is not profitable to you, says you.

If you do not need Redemption, than you do not need Jesus. Ah, but that is the irony, isn’t it? You accept only Jesus and so you lose Jesus! But how? Because He came to save you, yet you reject His Redemption, because you reject God’s Mercy, thinking you only need to acknowledge Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Even the demons acknowledge Jesus as their Lord and as Savior of the world, yet we all know they are in Hell. The Scriptures tell us this. But are the Scriptures corrupt? It is the Scriptures which tell us of Jesus, so if they are corrupt, why cling to Jesus? Would He not be a fraud? Again, the irony rears its head, yet you still say, “Only Jesus! I do not believe the lie you are telling me! Jesus is my God and Savior!” How do you know He will have mercy on you, if you reject Mercy for Jesus? He may spit you out of His mouth! So why cling? What chance do you have? If you wish to cling to anything, than cling to the Mercy of God! For it follows that from Mercy comes Redemption and Jesus Christ our Redeemer.

While I agree with the title Eucharisted these arguments are horrible.

Agreed!

If you only need Jesus, than you do not need God’s Mercy. For what will Mercy profit you if you have Jesus? He is enough for you! He is your Lord and Savior, not the Mercy of God, says you.

Umm you do realize that Jesus is God if you have Jesus he doesn’t just sit there and look pretty he gives mercy ya know?

If you do not need God’s Mercy, than you do not need Redemption. For why need to be redeemed at all if you do not need Mercy? You are fine and well with Jesus and your good works prove it! Why, it would be foolish of you to cling to the Cross, for it is not profitable to you, says you.

Um do you even TALK TO PROTESTATS!? This is right on the level with Catholics worship Mary in terms of ignorance. Protestants believe Jesus’ redemption via his mercy as God is all they need. Hence just me and Jesus. You know sort of like how in the Catholic faith you got Hermits that live in near total isolation just them and God(Jesus) for the more part. See the Carthusians all they want is God as all the Protestant wants is Jesus only the Order of Saint Bruno takes it to a level a Jesus Freak never would.

If you do not need Redemption, than you do not need Jesus. Ah, but that is the irony, isn’t it? You accept only Jesus and so you lose Jesus! But how? Because He came to save you, yet you reject His Redemption, because you reject God’s Mercy, thinking you only need to acknowledge Jesus as Lord and Savior.

All these leaps of logic should win you a gold medal in the Olympics mate.

Even the demons acknowledge Jesus as their Lord and as Savior of the world, yet we all know they are in Hell. The Scriptures tell us this. But are the Scriptures corrupt? It is the Scriptures which tell us of Jesus, so if they are corrupt, why cling to Jesus? Would He not be a fraud? Again, the irony rears its head, yet you still say, “Only Jesus! I do not believe the lie you are telling me! Jesus is my God and Savior!” How do you know He will have mercy on you, if you reject Mercy for Jesus? He may spit you out of His mouth! So why cling? What chance do you have? If you wish to cling to anything, than cling to the Mercy of God! For it follows that from Mercy comes Redemption and Jesus Christ our Redeemer.

Did you read the part in your Bible about appearing as an angel of light?

Also you seemed to have forgotten a thing called grace (forgive my vulgarity).

Hmmm…dangerous…No, I wouldn’t say that, after all, should a person cling to one thing and one thing only, let it be Christ.

And I’m not sure that I agree with your reasoning…nor understand it.

(I don’t know how you can separate the Son from the Father when the He and the Father are one; nor how you can speak about Christ and God’s Mercy being seperate. God is Love, is Charity, is Mercy!)

But I will agree that a monotheistic, sole, lonely God in one person could be dangerous. Chesterton spoke about this. Allah, for instance, is a more dangerous prospect than the Trinity.

I really fail to see your reasoning here. Jesus IS mercy! If you have Jesus, you have mercy! How can you separate the two? If you see Jesus for what He truly is (loving, saving, etc), you will know all that He came for and accomplished.

And what does believing in Jesus and the demons have to do with anything? If you truly believe in God and follow His commandments, Jesus assured us of salvation. The demons are believed to be ex-angels of light who dismissed God as the sole source of all. They decided they wanted to follow Satan and ignore God’s commandments, therefore, God thrusted them down to hell. No one ends up in hell if they do all that Jesus required of us.

I don’t see that in anything I have read so far. I see that they simply went along with Satan, who did not dismiss God as the sole source of all but did not agree with God’s plan of redemption.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.