Why did 18th century Catholic clergy wear Geneva Bands?

Has anyone else noticed that many Catholic clergymen, specifically cardinals used to wear black Geneva Bands? Why did they wear them and why did they go out of, per se, style? Why were they replaced by the roman collar anyways? With all honesty, I think the Geneva Band looks a bit more traditional.

If anyone does not know what a Geneva Band is, look up “Blessed William Joseph Chaminade”, and the black collar that is around his neck is what I speak of. They may also be called by different names, such as Geneva Tabs.

Now, I don’t have a definite answer, but I’ll venture an educated guess.

For the longest time, little details in clerical dress (number of buttons, how it buttoned, lining, pleats, and collars) varied from place to place, and with fashions. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a common regional variation for some places, or a fad that was among the clergy for a while.

Another observation is that the use of the Band was common not just among Protestant ministers, but also for magistrates, lawyers, and students. The clergy may have just adopted this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.