Why did Christ become Incarnate man?

Today is the day after Christmas:

WHY did GOD become a mortal man like us in every-way but sin?

God Bless you

Patrick

I find Fr. Baker’s simple explanation below satisfying. The gift of Jesus becoming man and His sacrifice is quite enormous to ponder.

Also, Jesus becoming man can help point to the truth of the Holy Trinity.

FR. KENNETH BAKER, S.J.
We know from revelation, especially from Genesis and the infallible teaching of the Church, that in the beginning God created man in a state of innocence and friendship with himself. As a result of man’s rejection of God’s love, he lost his original innocence, came under the power of sin and the devil, and was subject to death. Having lost God’s grace, which was a pure gift to begin with and thus something to which he had no just claim, man became an outcast, unable to achieve the noble destiny to which God had ordained him.

Since man could not save himself from sin, could not by his own efforts regain the grace of God, God in his own infinite wisdom resolved to become man. Thus Jesus, the God-man, was able to make satisfaction to God’s justice, for all his actions had infinite worth. Very succinctly, therefore, the Creed proclaims that the reason for the Word becoming flesh was to accomplish the salvation of men. And when the Creed says “men” it means “all men” without any distinction as to race, color or creed. God’s salvation is not restricted to the chosen people. In the writings of St. Paul we learn that faith in Christ was first offered to the Jews and then to the gentiles.

catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/why-did-god-become-man.html

*Hebrews 2:14-18 Since therefore **the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same nature, that through death he might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all **those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage. For surely it is not with angels that he is concerned but with the descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brethren in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make expiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered and been tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted. *
There is a certain attachment to humanity when Christ assumes humanity. This is similar to how Christ entered the baptismal waters when he was baptized by John and the baptismal waters were changed. In a similar way, Christ, by entering the human condition, changes that condition from one unable to be fully reconciled with the Father to one where, through Christ, one can be reconciled to the Father.

The Word became Flesh.
The Word became the Son of Man.
The Word dwelt among us.

This was all done for the great Love of us , all peoples. For our salvaion. Jesus became the passover sacrificial lamb for us. This could not have worked if Jesus did not have the love and faith and obedience to God His Father. And have any blemish of sin.

Did the Word become mortal though?

All my humble thoughts from someone still learning.

Hello PJM,
The best explanation is to watch the movie ‘Man of Steel’. youtube.com/watch?v=azUp2sTWhmk

In the movie, you will see that Clark Kent, also known as Superman or Kal-El is confronted by General Zod. General Zod’s purpose is the same as Lucifer. In the movie, Man of Steel, General Zod’s office is to protect the planet Krypton.

The Father plays the role of Zor-El which is Kal-El’s (Clark Kent’s) father. Kal-El (Clark Kent) is the first Kryptonian to be produced of natural birth. Everyone else is borne artificially and is judged a purpose in life as to what status they have in Society. These are like the angels. They have no free will since God has produced them with a specific office and mission.

General Zod saw that Krypton was going to be destroyed. So he took and prioritized his office in order to save Krypton. That means, rebelling against the established Order. He took with him a third of the Kryptonians sort to speak to rebel against him.

Clark Kent, (Kal-El) was sent to Earth by his father, Zor-El in order that he may learn the ways of the human beings. So that when it was time to Terraform earth (turn Earth into Krypton) he would spare some if not all the human beings.

This is where the conflict arises.

General Zod was supposed to be the future hope of Krypton, not Superman (Kal El/Clark Kent).

Likewise, Jesus was supposed to be in the form of Lucifer (the Seraphim [or Cherubim in some traditions]) but God sent him in the form of a monkey (Human Being).

Because God shed His Mercy on us through Jesus because He loves us and wanted us to know and share our lives with Him.

The consequence of sin–the turning away from the source of life–is death, in the same way that turning from the source of heat leads to coldness.

Offering one’s best lamb was a way of atoning by sacrificing the lamb instead of partaking in the death one has earned through sin, but an imperfect one. An animal sacrifice is a stand-in for ourselves, but even should a human being be sacrificed, it would not atone for all mankind’s sin because each one of us has sinned ourselves. A perfect sacrifice, unblemished and without sin, yet able to take on the sins of all mankind was needed, but there was no such thing.

We had a debt we could never repay. But Jesus became man, and as the Lamb of God, was that perfect sacrifice. Notice that at Mass, we bring bread and wine to the altar. Bread and wine have been symbols of human life for thousands of years. That is us up there on the place of sacrifice. At the moment of consecration of that bread and wine, Jesus quite literally takes our place upon the altar.

To add on.

For God the Father, the most important aspect of trait is the aspect of Loyalty and Obedience.

God’s test superceded that even the greatest race of all the angels, the Seraphim, was humbled. No matter how superior the Seraphim was, the Archangel (2nd to the lowest) Michael the Archangel was exalted higher than the Seraphim. The Seraphims were ranked the 9th highest choir.

This proved that the Seraphims were defective. Since because of their superior intellect, love and graces they have disregarded love (neglecting Godliness) by looking down and underestimating the power of the Archangel and even a Human being.

This therefore concluded that God’s creation was not hinged upon the superiority of the Seraphim. God’s test won in that the Human Beings and the Archangels were far more superior than the Seraphim.

So superior that even the Blessed Mary Ever A Virgin was a Human Being and exalted higher than the Seraphim.

See these verses:

Isaiah 14:12-17Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, who didst rise in the morning? how art thou fallen to the earth, that didst wound the nations?
13 And thou saidst in thy heart: I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God, I will sit in the mountain of the covenant, in the sides of the north.
14 I will ascend above the height of the clouds, I will be like the most High.
15 But yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, into the depth of the pit.
16 They that shall see thee, shall turn toward thee, and behold thee. Is this the man that troubled the earth, that shook kingdoms,
17 That made the world a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof, that opened not the prison to his prisoners?

Isaiah 6Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

6 In the year that king Ozias died, I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne high and elevated: and his train filled the temple.
2 Upon it stood the seraphims: the one had six wings, and the other had six wings: with two they covered his face, and with two they covered his feet, and with two they hew.
3 And they cried one to another, and said: Holy, holy, holy, the Lord God of hosts, all the earth is full of his glory.
4 And the lintels of the doors were moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 And I said: Woe is me, because I have held my peace; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people that hath unclean lips, and I have seen with my eyes the King the Lord of hosts.
6 And one of the seraphims flew to me, and in his hand was a live coal, which he had taken with the tongs off the altar.
7 And he touched my mouth, and said: Behold this hath touched thy lips, and thy iniquities shall be taken away, and thy sin shall be cleansed.
8 And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: Whom shall I send? and who shall go for us? And I said: Lo, here am I, send me.
9 And he said: Go, and thou shalt say to this people: Hearing, hear, and understand not: and see the vision, and know it not.
10 Blind the heart of this people, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes: lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted and I heal them.
11 And I said: How long, O Lord? And he said: Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land shall be left desolate.
12 And the Lord shall remove men far away, and she shall be multiplied that was left in the midst of the earth.
13 And there shall be still a tithing therein, and she shall turn, and shall be made a shew as a turpentine tree, and as an oak that spreadeth its branches: that which shall stand therein, shall be a holy seed.

Thanks Michel, excellent!

GBY

thank you!

Gby

Thank you for sharing

GBY

Interesting reply, THANKS

GBY

Thanks for sharing this

GBY

Thanks for sharing this:thumbsup:

GBY

The Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity assumed human nature so He could repair the shattered original friendship relationship between Adam and his Creator. Jesus did this through obedience unto death and thus He conquered death with His Resurrection.

1 Corinthians 15: 55

Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”

usccb.org/bible/1corinthians/15

Since the sin occurred in both the flesh and time Christ had to attone in the flesh as well as time. And the only way to effect the repair in time would require flesh to occupy the time.

Pax et Bonum! How else was Jesus going to walk among us, doing miracles, healings, exorcisms? How else could He have faced Pilate and the Crucifixion? Becoming Incarnate Man, He could live with us and fulfill His Father’s mission. angeltime:highprayer:

RIGHT:thumbsup:

So what are WE to do?

GBY

While NOT disagreeing, did GOD really “have too?”

GBY

OK, but could God have done it differently?

GBY

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.