Why did evangelical 80% of Protestants vote against re-electing Pres. Obama, while only 50% of Catholics voted against re-electing Pres. Obama?

Even though this LOOKS like a political post, it isn’t. It’s a question about the differences between evangelical Protestants and Catholics. Thank you for reading the entire post and not just assuming that this is about politics and therefore, inappropriate for this section of the board.

Sorry for this gloomy topic. Have a nice day anyway.

First, right up front, I am a convert to Catholicism after 47 years of active evangelical Protestantism. My husband and I attended some of the top evangelical Protestant churches and sat under some of the best-known evangelical pastors and teachers in the U.S. We were extremely involved in our churches, and were in church or at a church activity 5/6 evenings/days per week.

We converted to Catholicism because we believe, from the Bible and from history, that the Catholic Church was given all authority by Jesus Christ Himself, and is HIS true Church.

Like many Christians, I was discouraged by the election last week.

For me, the sticking point is abortion. I feel that if a President (and other elected officials) don’t respect the basic right to life, they cannot possibly have a proper perspective on all the other issues–they will be “warped” in their thinking. The recent “HHS Mandate” against religious freedom is an example of the “warped thinking” that comes from a pro-choice mindset.

To put it bluntly, I believe that abortion is pure evil, and that as long as the U.S. keeps it legal, we are bringing God’s curses down upon our nation. God have mercy on us. We are on the brink of losing our freedom of religion, the first right given to us in the U.S. Constitution, because of the policies of our President and his cronies. And how many more people world-wide will suffer and die from abortion now that the President has been re-elected and he considers this a “mandate” for all of his pro-abortion policies? God help us.

According to the NBC exit polls, 80% of evangelical Protestants voted against Pres. Obama’s re-election by voting for Gov. Romney, while only 50% of Catholics voted against the President’s re-election and voted for Gov. Romney.

Considering that the evangelical Protestants come from hundreds of different denominations, including many non-denominational and home churches, and have NO one leader and NO organization that has authority over them and NO unity other than the Five Fundamentals of the Faith–HOW on earth did they do this?!

And considering that Catholics have our beloved Holy Father and the Magisterium and the USCCB (100% in agreement against the HHS mandate–you can’t get much clearer than that!)–and that we had a plethora of Catholic media sources explaining “How Catholics should vote”–HOW on earth did they do this?!

What brought the evangelical Protestants together!!! (By the way, they would say, “The Holy Spirit.”)

I’m glad that at least less Catholics voted for President Obama–in the last election, 56% voted for him and his pro-abortion policies.

I just don’t get this at all. I am so disappointed in my fellow Catholics and discouraged by this outcome.

My husband gave me some good explanations (his opinions, of course) why Protestants voted the way they did, and Catholics voted the way they did. His theory has a lot to do with Catholic history–many Catholics have been solidly Democrat for generations (back when Democrat Party Platforms were still righteous), and it’s hard for them to switch and make themselves check that box for a Re…Re…(deep breath, sorry Mom and Dad)…Republican.

I’m honestly upset by this. I hate to say it, but it really shook my faith. I feel like the evangelical Protestants, of which I was once a part, “get it,” and without any earthly organization, voted for righteousness and life, while Catholics, in spite of having the Church of Jesus Christ and the entire 2000-year-old earthly organization and the proper understanding of the Bible, didn’t “get it,” and voted for evil and death.

And I’m guessing that a lot of Catholics will insist that “No, no, I didn’t vote for evil! I voted for good!–health care for all, food and shelter for all, an ending to the war, stopping global warming–I voted for the “complete goodness” of Pres. Obama. Abortion is just ONE thing, but we can’t forget about all these other things.”

That thinking is so wrong. As one of our priests said a few weeks ago, what good are all those other things if a large group of people are dead from abortion and never get to experience them?

Imagine how different the election would have been if 80% of Catholics had voted against the pro-choice President.

So please explain this to me. How could this happen–that “divided” evangelical Protestants get it right, and “unified” Catholics totally miss it?

In case you haven’t figured it out, I’m really discouraged right now.

Catholics do not take Ayn Rand’s philosophies as a given, as many conservatives tend to. I guess these people believe that Democrats do more to help the poor than Republicans, but they ignored the pure evils that Obama stands for.

Possibly because a proportion of US Catholics are Hispanic, and Romney put them off with his “self deportation” talk.

The Catholic Church is in favour of family life, and for many people immigration policy does impact on their family life, for example the ability to bring a foreign spouse into the country.

$0.02

rossum

Hi Cat,

I am sorry you are feeling discouraged. Don’t be. There are a variety of reasons in my opinion.

• Not everyone who is counted as Catholic behaves as a Catholic. Some Catholics are baptized young and hardly even attend Mass, but since once a Catholic, always a Catholic, unless they convert to another religion, they still get to check the Catholic box on the polls.
  • Evangelicals are better catechized.** We know that evangelicals are catechized starting with Sunday school.

Evangelical leaders don’t beat around the bush about their beliefs. I voted for Bush the Father, because at that time of my life, I was attending Times Square Church in NYC. They outright said that to vote for Bill Clinton (who I voted for the second time), would be a vote for liberal, anti-God politics. I listened.

Look at this video of this Protestant “Bishop” who outright tells black people that the democratic party pushes agendas that are anti-God and that black people, Christians and Jews, should leave the democratic party.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_KaZ53eDg

I think it is becoming more and more clear that we, as Catholics need to stand up for our beliefs again. And our leaders need to teach us clearly, and with no equivocation.

That is already beginning.

So don’t be discouraged. God is leading his church even if it means we must experience chastisement.

Thanks for your thread. I feel the same way you do. I do not get it :o :confused: :frowning:

They fell for the lies, for “the social justice” lines :o And what your husband
said is true, sadly…

I also think that converts have a better grasp of the issues compared to
cradle Catholics, who seem to have a 7th or 8th grade Catholic education.
It seems that their level of the faith is from the year they had their confirmation…No
more catechism classes :confused: I am not sure, I am so frustrated & sad with
it all as well :o Oh, and by the way, I am a cradle Catholic, just in case.
And I admire converts, because they spend a lot of time studying, reading scripture,
researching the Catholic Church before converting, so there seems to be more of a commitment…I do not know…:o

I will comment more on this later on. Hang in there, lets try not to fall into despair, I know
it is hard…

Take care,
God bless,
Keep praying :highprayer:

Pax

I think my pastor summed it up pretty well - he drew two columns on the white board, both under the heading Sanctity of Human Life Issues. Under one column, he listed abortion, stem cell research, etc. Under the other, he listed capital punishment, feeding the poor, protecting God’s creation, etc.

He said that if the primary Human Life issues you considered were in one column, you would be inclined to vote Republican. If you primarily thought of the issues in the other column, you would most likely vote Democrat. However when he preached on the subject, he would not limit himself to just one column.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a single party that encompasses Christian teachings on all those subjects. The HHS decision was a real tipping point for me.

Agreed.

I think in general, the republican party comes across as not caring about social issues, or the poor. Now different parties have different viewpoints on how to care for the poor.

However, the fact is, that is the perception and until the perception changes, you will still have religious people voting for the democratic party.

It is very possible to compartmentalize and say, “Yes, I believe abortion is evil. No evil president has made it their agenda to overthrow Roe vs. Wade. That is in the hand of God. However, this President is trying to get healthcare for everyone and that is good. This presidential candidate believes 47% of Americans are lazy. Does he only care about the rich?”

Most people will never be single issue voters.

It is up to us to show that Abortion is wrong, same sex marriage is wrong and we love and want to help people who are in need.

We can either say, abortion is all that matters, ignore everything else and continue to lose voters or also address in an obvious way, other issues.

I also want to add that a pew study showed that those who attend church regularly were more likely to vote for Obama.

I don’t know what the numbers are for self-identified Catholics who attend Mass weekly, but I’m sure it’s not wonderful.

And I’m sure the majority of Mormons voted for Romney.
Does that mean…
Mormons are better catechized?
Mormon leaders don’t beat around the bush about their beliefs?
Or could it be…
That the Catholic Church, with a billion people world-wide, is more representative of the real world and society at large? One is not required to agree on politics to be a Catholic?
And smaller sects with Utopian ideas are walled in from the real world and feel more comfortable with a world where everyone agrees with everyone else?

I’m sorry, but I grow a little tired of Catholics on this forum apologizing for being Catholic and bending over backwards not to insult groups that hate us anyway, thinking somehow I suppose, we will ‘win them over’ by beating ourselves to death.
The Catholic Church is what it is, good and bad, take it or leave it. I didn’t return to the Catholic Church to be around people who relentlessly and mindlessly agree with one another.
If I wanted that, I would return to fundamentalism.

Catholics pointing fingers and blaming Catholics, Christians vs Christians, while holding a partisan candidate up above them.

While I believe there maybe some out there, I have not seen a Catholic that said they voted for Obama to support an evil. Many said they voted for him in spite of the evils of his platform, and because of the inattentiveness toward other issues by Romney.

Now, what would be easier to accomplish; talking millions of people into voting against their consciences, or talking one politician into giving on a few less important issues for the sake of the important issues?

It could work either way. Had Obama had an epiphany and declared he was pro life, supported DOMA, and was going to support religious liberty exclusive of his healthcare act, he could have ‘swept the board.’ On the other hand, Romney used the important issues and stood firm on the other issues. Had Romney come out and said, 'we are going to feed the hungry, we are going to give shelter to the poor, and we are going to care for the sick; as well as stop abortion, support DOMA, and remove religious obligations under the healthcare laws, I would like to believe he would have ‘swept the board.’

The reason I say, ‘I would like to believe…’ is because I wonder if he would have had the support from the partisans of that party?

It’s easy to tell others, ‘you must vote for one and ONLY one candidate.’ It’s harder through example by saying, we have a candidate that will represent all our concerns, because we’re setting aside issues to advance the cause on the important issues.

If a politician doesn’t take this stand, the people must be very selective during the nomination process. Whether it’s true or not, it has appearances of being partisan to bring forth a candidate that is ‘not the perfect’ candidate and say, ‘you must set aside your differences and vote for this ‘lesser of two evils’.’

Discussion of politics is to in the World News section of the forum.
Sorry. I don’t make the rules, I just enforce them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.