Why did God create such a huge universe?

I was asked this by someone who is pondering the faith.
He asked me, if humanity is so important in regard to the universe and we are made in Gods image, why did God make such an almost infinitely enormous universe where we are (earth) is nothing more than an insignificant speck. Reminded me of that old pale blue dot picture Voyager 1 took some years back and Carl Sagan made a comment on it.

Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every “superstar,” every “supreme leader,” every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Anyways, does anyone have any way to respond to this?

I would just say that apparently the expansive universe that we continue to expand our knowledge of, is what is physically necessary to sustain our “blue dot.”

It’s to me remarkable that God is powerful enough to create such a massive thing as the universe, all just to give us a home.

4 Likes

It could be to demonstrate to us how much He is capable of. Is it wrong to give people such a huge “space” to discover?
Maybe it’s also for another reason: Earth is such an insignificant speck in the universe, an insignificant speck compared to God, and we are not worthy, nor have we done anything worthy of His love. Yet we still receive it. God loves us, and it kind of amazes you when you think about it.
I don’t think this answers your question exactly, but it is just some food for thought.

3 Likes

To be fair, the whole line of argument to me always seemed like a big non sequitur - the universe is much bigger than us therefore God may not exist. Huh? How does the size of the universe relative to us have any bearing on our importance, or on Gods existence? Would the existence of a small universe relative to us be an argument for His existence? Besides, just because God cares about us doesn’t mean we are the only thing in the universe he cares about. There may be other things In the universe that God cares about that seem insignificant to us. I’ve just never found the ‘vastness of the universe’ argument against God to be very convincing.

4 Likes

The size is necessary for God’s purpose.
I am sure in some way it services us.

1 Like

The way I see it, God had to make the universe pretty big in order to have one planet as special as the earth, so that life could form and develop over the billions of years that it needed so that his creation could love him in return.

1 Like

Why would someone refer to Earth as “insignificant?” Seems someone doesn’t understand that size does not equal importance. Ask this person if he thinks big people are more “significant” than small people.

The argument about scale is just such an asinine argument. Nobody would argue that 20 tons of sand is more significant than a human being, even though 20 tons of sand is much bigger than a human being.

6 Likes

Of course, if the universe were tiny, the same people would be saying “see, look how small the universe is! If God existed, He could have made a much larger universe!”

9 Likes

Because he wanted to teach us this truth:

Man is tiny. Earth is huge.
Compared to the Universe, Earth is tiny, the universe is huge.
But compared to God, the universe is tiny. In fact, the universe is tinier to God than man is to the universe. Because God is infinitely good, infinitely great, while the universe is finite, huge as it is.

And yet, for all his greatness and all our tininess, God deigned to become one of US, to die for US. To die for YOU. So that YOU can share his life.

Reflect on that.

6 Likes

Why did God take billions of years to create and develop the Earth, creating so many different species that each lived millions of years before He replaced them with new species, all leading up to creating Adam and Eve?
He could have created the Earth already prepared for us and then created Adam and Eve at once. Why didn’t He?

Could it be an illusion by God - man has always though if he climbed high enough he would see heaven and every time we get there we find we are no even close. Now we have given up it too massive. This life is the illusion the next life is the real one. Maybe it is just a hologram LOL. There is the theory that nothing really exists unless its observed.Everything remains in wave form unless observed Eisenstein spooky Phisics. He didn’t believe it and I think science has moved passed that and its not true. Or is it.

1 Like

Of course God observes everything all the time. So nothing exists unless it’s observed by God. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a very unchristian view. The world we’re in is very much real, and we will ultimately be restored to these bodies.

2 Likes

Each teaches us something.
Each is used by us for something.

Wouldn’t that imply God responsible for deceit?

No not deceit but to show man how foolish he is in his pursuit to find heaven which God has been known to do.

This is completely unacceptable to us who believe in a God who can neither deceive nor be deceived.

You are aware this is the Philosophy thread:

On the Catholic Answers Forum. In a thread asking why God created a huge universe. In the Apologetics category.

2 Likes

Who am I to know the mind of God? I am finite and God is infinite. If he creates a tiny insect, a whale, and a stallion galloping through the forest, whom am I to understand the mind of God. All I know is God loves to create, he is generous in all his creation. Be fruitful and multiply…

The earth has a specific purpose, namely a place to harvest souls for the heavens, a place where souls learn the lesson of love.

At the resurrection at the end of the world, the saved soul will have a spiritualized body, like the glorified body of Jesus after His resurrection from the dead. Thus the Church through Sacred Scripture teaches that the glorified resurrected body will have the same four qualities of the resurrected body of Christ:

1. Impassibility – no longer suffer physical sickness or death.
  2. Subtlety — the ability to transcend matter. Just as Christ’s glorified body was able to pass through closed doors.
  3. Agility – the glorified body will be agile; the ability to bilocate and travel great distances with the speed of thought.
  4. Clarity – the glorified body will be filled with beauty and radiance.

The Blessed Mother lived to be around 70 years old while on earth. After her assumption into heaven she inherited a glorified body. When the Virgin Mary appears on earth thousands of years later she is beautiful and shines like the sun.

In heaven there is no time like on earth. Thus nothing gets old and everything is always new.

Look up into the heavens at night. Think about the Kingdom of God. That will be the playground of those who make it out of this world and inherit the Kingdom of God. Thus with the speed of thought you will be able to be anywhere in God’s cosmos. The beautiful gardens and worlds of beauty in galaxies existing eons away from earth? No space suit or spaceship required.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.