Why did God The Father send His Son Jesus rather than coming Himself?

This question was asked of me last Sunday, March 11, 2012, by one of my 5th Grade PRE students: "Why did God The Father send His Son Jesus rather than coming Himself?" I told her that it deserved a better answer than I could give and that I would research it. Well, I have come up empty. I turn to CATHOLIC ANSWERS at this late date, hoping you can give me an answer for her before class this Sunday.

Please help me. These children go to public school and only have one hour of formal religious education a week. I feel a tremendous obligation to give them the best I have within that one hour.

Thank you.

Hi,

God the Father and God the Son love each other so much that whatever one wants, the other wants also. Jesus said in Jn. 10:18, “No one takes it (his life) from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father.” From all eternity the Father and the Son wanted the Son to take on a human nature and redeem the human race on Good Friday. Since God has no beginning or end, the Father and the Son have always known that they wanted this. Why? We will have to ask them when we see them in heaven. I hope this helps.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.