Why did Holy Father Resign?

If the Holy Father decided to resign, it’s because the Holy Spirit led him to it. Benedict XVI is a holy man, he wouldn’t make this decision without knowing that it is what God wants him to do. Who are we to argue with God?
And for the record, I think this bit

[quote=josethomas2005]One was to regain the glory of Europe with Germany at forefront which it had greatly wished during Hitler’s rule.
[/quote]

is completely off base. I don’t believe for a second that “the glory of Europe” has ever been a consideration for the Pope. What does that even mean?

This!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If the Holy Father feels it is his time to go, we must trust his wisdom. It is a little misguided to “expect” things from the individual man Pope Benedict. The next Pope guided by the Holy Spirit will carry out our Church’s mission.

Remember: The gates of hell will never prevail.

I think this is hugely disrespectful both to our Holy Father Pope Benedict, and to the Catholic Church.

And this is not far behind in disrespect.

The beauty of the Church Christ established is that it does not depend soley on one person for its existence. Yes, the pope is the visible head of the Church, but when one moves on (for whatever reason), another is chosen to take his place.

Do not lose hope over Pope Benedict stepping down. The guiding hand of the Spirit remains with the Church, as always.

If you are expecting one man to bring about the Christianisation of Islam, I hope Superman is available to be the next pope!

Jesus himself did not have these expecations of Pope Benedict XVI.

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. (Matthew 28:19-20)

Jesus expected people to be baptized, the Gospel to be preached, and Christians to be taught. Pope Benedict XVI has baptized, has preached, has made disciples and continues to be an outstanding teacher. He has done well. He has fulfilled the Great Commission and Christ’s expectations of him.

-Tim-

He told us why he resigned. All you have to do is read his statement.

Leading the church is not about authority and power. It’s about being a servant. If anyone truly understands this it’s him.
He chose not to serve the church anymore. And he knew that this would be a job for life before he took it. My personal opinion about this is that he was a great leader and selfless servant and couldn’t digest other things going on in Rome.

Actually, he didn’t “resign” as such. A “resignation” means that it is given to, and is to be accepted by, a superior, and of course, he has no earthly superior. What he did was renounce the office. Admittedly, this hasn’t happened since the year 1294 when St Peter Celestine (Celestine V) did something similar but, when one looks at the whole picture, the reasons why both of them renounced the office are rather similar (although the details do differ).

Was Benedict XVI a failure? Hardly. He may go down in history as one of the “forgotten” Popes, but if so, he’s in good company, with Pius XI and Benedict XV among others. Notariety or “popularity” in the world (whether secular or ecclesiastical) isn’t as much of standard of competence as some would like to think.

The Pope did a mighty fine job. The animosity of the Secular Press/Media is horrific and militantly fought against this Pope hammer and tong. In no way did the Secular world/and or the evil one, want another Power Broker so loved by the Church and the World like JPII. They assailed everything he did right from the start. Just watching CNN and their spin doctors cover his resignation really brought that home to me once again. And the same will be faced by the next pope. Knowing this we Catholics must not let that happen to another one of our Popes. We must engage all lies and naysayers. We must rally around Our Pope.

This Pope did his absolute best I am sure of that. His task was formidable.

Well done, Pope Benedict!

Why do so many news outlets report Celestine V as the last time this happened? Does Gregory XIII in 1415 not count for some reason?

Most new outlets actually do refer to Gregory XIII, at least indirectly since they keep harping on “600 years,” but the circumstances there were highly different. Yes, it was a renunciation, but there were political reasons behind it. It came about as a result of the Council of Constance and ending the Great Western Schism.

OTOH, S Peter Celestine’s renunciation was voluntary. Just like Benedict XVI.

Remember that such large-scale changes as you were hoping for would take a much longer time frame to occur. Benedict has only been Pope since 2005, and due to his age, would not be able to have a long papacy as did his predecessor Blessed Pope John Paul II.

Think of the analogy of a garden. Did you ever plant seeds as a little child and go back the next morning to see if any had sprouted yet? Did the days until the little green shoots finally appeared seem endless? Pope Benedict XVI, God bless him, has planted many seeds and some have begun to grow and bear fruit. We must water and tend the seeds he has planted, and plant a few of our own!

I think we laity might be in a little state of shock and grief, too, and that’s okay to acknowledge. I’ve even shed a few tears myself. Here is a video by Francis Cardinal Arinze that’s reassuring:

youtube.com/watch?v=06UP2qHCxWg&feature=player_embedded

Also you might check out Timothy Cardinal Dolan’s blog - he too has some good things to say and is very down to earth - he was kind of shocked at first too. :eek:

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Wishing for the return of the Anglican Church to Rome is a salutary thing, although using the word “swallow” is unfortuate.

He did a lot. But, of course, good works of the Spirit are like wind whispers, and the people always want more, more signs, more loud and visible acts…in fact, the greatest works of good are like tiny seeds, that only in due time will produce gorgeous plants and marvelous fruits.

He made a way for the Anglicans to enter the Catholic Church and many accepted his most generous offer, much to the joy of many cradle Catholics.

hello josethomas - from catholic.com

"It’s what Pope Benedict has accomplished over the last seven years that is most important: three encyclicals; over a thousand homilies and addresses; three major books; over 20 trips abroad; the restoration of the Traditional Latin Mass as one of the two forms of the Roman Rite; the revised English translation of the Novus Ordo; the establishment of procedures to bring Anglicans back into the Catholic Church; overtures to the Orthodox Churches; the lifting of the excommunications on the bishops of the Society of Saint Pius X and the patient pursuit of full unity between the SSPX and Rome.

And these are only the most obvious accomplishments. There are others, such as Benedict’s clarification of certain questions of ecclesiology, that I think future Church historians will regard as among the most important developments of his pontificate, even though most Catholics today are unaware of them.

Here in America, the Holy Father has already put his mark on the Church, not simply through his 2008 apostolic visit to the United States, but in his episcopal appointments, which (in my opinion) have been more solidly orthodox than those of Pope John Paul II. Still, there is much work to be done, including over 250 episcopal appointments worldwide that need to be made, and which will inevitably shape the Catholic Church for decades to come."

Let’s not forget the renewal of the Liturgy of the Mass in English, either. That was sorely needed since the life of the liturgy is the life of the Church. I will forever be grateful to BXVI for that alone, nevermind his positive influence, brilliant mind, and warmth he brought to the faith.

The Pope reports that he has given this matter a great deal of thought, and prayed about this matter repeatedly, and decerned He is led by the Holy Spirit to retire. Due to his Office he receives Super Natural Grace. Trust his decision. Don’t waste your time, and energy on things which are not true.

Amen!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.