Why did James send his people in the famous passage from Galatians (chap. 2. v. 11~13)

jAnd when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face because he clearly was wrong.*
For, until some people came from James,* he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to draw back and separated himself, because he was afraid of the circumcised.
And the rest of the Jews* [also] acted hypocritically along with him, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy.

Hello,
my question here is not about the papacy per se, but I was wondering if anyone could guide me in undertanding why James sent some people to Peter? It is clear that Peter did the right thing by eating with the Gentiles, but he was wrong to hide himself. So did James sent his people to face Peter and rebuke his fear, like Paul wanted to do, or, as I think did James send people as the leader of the Community in Jerusalem, because Jews and Judeo-Christians were involved, and maybe the case of the circumcision wasn’t settled yet?

Thank you for you patience :wink:

Ive thought that it was to be a gathering to show unity in teaching the faith to the Gentiles, but Peter rather made a mess of it by withdrawing; hence, not letting them all be at table together.

James was also the head of the church in Jerusalem, not Peter.

That’s what I said :smiley:

“as I think did James send people as the leader of the Community in Jerusalem, because Jews and Judeo-Christians were involved”

Could it be the reason?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.