Why did Jesus after His resurrection appear to some and not to all?'

Why did Jesus after His resurrection appear to some, and not to all.

It would seem that He would have put an end to all argument about His divinity once for all. It would have confounded His enemies. Instead He commissioned His Apostles to spred the Good News. Was there a divine plan? If there was, what was it. What do you think?

Luke 16:31 Then Abraham said to him, “If they will not listen either to Moses or to the prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone should rise from the dead.”

Fantastic answer!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

He didn’t need to, therefore it was not part of God’s revelation.

We don’t need to see him to believe!

The answer to your question lies in the last verse of today’s gospel reading (john 20:29).

Peace and all good!

Look at how many people saw the Sun dance and spin and rotate toward the earth in Fatima, hundreds saw it, yet to this day, you get people who deny this ever happened.

Go figure.

Do you think perhaps it was to humble mankind’s pride , after all we have to be humble to receive salvation from Jesus, by the being born again of the Spirit. I believe it’s the required condition or disposition for receiving grace. To believe without seeing is the grace of Faith

I would.

Just saying…:shrug:

At first maybe?

Without Faith you would may look back on it as lack of sleep, hallucination, not enough to eat, a dream, flu etc.

If you have Faith then you don’t need Him to appear before you.

Christ Himself actually answers this in St. John 14:22-23:

Judas saith to him, not the Iscariot: Lord, how is it, that thou wilt manifest thyself to us, and not to the world? Jesus answered, and said to him: If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and will make our abode with him.

St. Thomas Aquinas explains in his Commentary on St. John that Christ does not manifest Himself to the world because the world does not love Him.

1949 Now he gives the reason why he will not manifest himself to the world: this reason is the lack of those things on account of which he says that he will manifest himself. For when the cause is absent, the effect is absent. Now the causes for a divine manifestation to be made to the worldly are not found in them. And so God will not manifest himself to the world and the worldly.

It is clear that they do not have the cause, because the world does not love him. Referring to this he says, he who does not love me. Further, they do not obey him; and so he says, does not keep my words. As Gregory says: “To love God it is necessary to use our words, our minds and our lives.”[45] The reason is obvious why God will manifest himself to his own, and not to the world. It is because his own really have love, and it is love which distinguishes the saints from the world: “He hides the light from the proud. He shows his friend that he owns it” [Job 36:32]; “The deep says ‘It is not in me’ and the sea,” that is, one who is disordered, “says, ‘It is not with me.’” (Job 28:14).

…]

Sequence to love: How can one who does not have love, give it? You say that people don’t love Him. To love someone requires knowledge of that person first. Proclaiming the Good News with the Power of the Spirit was how the Apostles did it. But that didn’,t convert all. It did attract some and that attraction led to full acceptance of Christ, conversion. To love Him we must submit ourselves to Him, by acknowledging Him for who He is. Our redeemer, the one upon whom we have complete dependence, the one for whom we were created. We humble ourselves by appealing to Him for His redemptive love.

Humility disposes one to respond to God’s love. When we are humble we live in truth, that we owe our complete existence to Him, and that we are sinners. Jesus in love for His Father and for us humbled Himself and took on human nature completely except for sin. God’s love for us preceded humility, for us humility precedes our love for God Humility is regarded as the foundation of all virtue. Faith , Hope, and Love and others.

Our Lady gives the best example as the perfect Christian. She said to the angel Gabriel " I am the handmaid (humbling herself in truth)of the Lord, let it be done to me according to your word" Again in the Magnificat " My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for He has regarded the lowliness (the humility) of His handmaid…" It is most appropriate that God requires this humble disposition from us because it was the sin of pride of our first parents,with the assistance of Satan by his lies who also fell because of pride that we lost the Holy Spirit and our communication with God God’s love fpr us causes our love for Him.

Jesus may have appeared to any number of people who simply failed to recognize him.

Very simply, he appeared to he first Magisterium and a number of the first Laity.

The first Laity knew Jesus rose and the Magisterium (first Bishops and Pope) witnessed that he rose, so there was a trust factor developed, people trusting the Church leadership. In the world then was a people of trust.

And anyone coming into the Church has to end up taking the Church at its word, trusting the Pope and Magisterium are telling them the truth that Jesus rose, and desire to be part of this people.

I believe my Priest that Jesus rose. He believes his Bishop that Jesus rose. Our Bishop Believes the Pope that Jesus rose. The Pope believes his predecessors on down to Peter that Peter was telling the truth of seeing Jesus risen.

John Martin

Isn’t Trust and Belief gifts of virtue, proceeding from the Holy Spirit given through the merits of Jesus Christ. How do we get those virtues?

To use the quote from St. Thomas “When the cause is absent so is the effect” Jesus being the cause, love being the effect?. Jesus’ love was always present so we can’t say He was absent. It seems like a paradox. Also scripture states that no one can come to the
Father except through Jesus, and no one can go to Jesus unless the Father calls him. Any answers? Is Jesus the cause, or is the Father?

Yes!
:clapping:

Nice!
:tiphat:

Even some of the disciples failed to recognize him at first…

Yes.
Well, the actual sequence is Gratuitous Grace then Sanctifying Grace.

Gratuitous Grace is the Holy Spirit talking to our souls as our ears hear the Church proclaim that the Kingdom of Heaven is here, turn and believe this Official News and be Baptized into this Kingdom called the Church. Suddenly the Soul begins to think, “Can this be real?” And also, the reason says, “If it were real it would be very desirable (good) to be united to Christ in his Church”. And the Will then begins to Love the idea of it all being true and becoming united to it. And the Will consents “Call it True; even though I cannot prove it I want it, I love it”. That is the Generation of Faith (belief consented to by the will), and it is the work of Free or Gratuitous Grace. The limit of the work that this first faith can do is to say to the Preacher, “Here is water, is there anything to prevent you from Baptizing me? I want to be in this Kingdom established by Jesus.”

Then time for Sanctifying Grace, and the infusion of the virtues. The Church grants citizenship to the person by Baptizing and Confirming the person. The mystery is that the Holy Spirit is also granted and fills the person, such that the person is both initiated into the Kingdom on earth and granted new birth into brotherhood with the King, and given Grace - the Virtues are “stirred into” the soul so that we have a new, “good”, “justified” person. The Virtues (Faith, Hope, Charity, etc.) are “habits” for use by the person’s will. New supernatural habits. Now when the person hears a word from God, the habit of Faith takes over and the person knows and wants it as his Truth, rather than his old habit of wondering whether it might be true. And when he hears that word from God through the Church, he is confident (Hope) it will be true for his life, rather than simply wishing he could participate in something so good. And when he hears that word from God he is warmed with Love (Charity) for the God who sent that word to him, and he consents to his life carrying out the desires of that God.

And this often surprises the person in his conscious thought - our souls, like the Holy Spirit, are not perceivable by us except in the appearances of the conscious thoughts that we find ourselves thinking and the words we find ourselves speaking and the actions we find our hands and feet doing.

God speaking is the Father, God appearing before you in the Word from the Father is the Son, God joining himself to you as one with you is the Spirit.

This was a very brief summary of the content of Aquinas’ Summa, parts !, II-1, II-2.

John Martin

Only hundreds saw it? There were as many as 40,000 people to witness this event, and only hundreds reported seeing it. Why didn’t everybody see it?

Thank you John:thumbsup:

Hi. I am Portuguese and my parents knew personally people who were at the event. One of them, from the fiercely anti-clerical city of Beja, went there as a secular journalist in hopes of exposing the whole thing, but he was so overwhelmed by the experience that he became a devout man. My parents met him in his last years, assiduously praying the rosary at one of his house’s windows. So while there were varying accounts of the event, the experience must have been so unique and powerful that it had lasting effects in most of those people’s lives. And there’s another thing. Those “hundreds [who] reported seeing it” did explicit testimonials, but most people there didn’t make any testimonial. So, conditional on having testified, people almost unanimously reported having seen very strange and unusual phenomena. One could argue that those willing to testify were the more susceptible to the “miracle”. Perhaps they were, but many testimonials mention the fact the howls and the cries of the crowd were very loud, suggesting that many people were experiencing the phenomena at the same time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.