Why did Jesus ask that the cup pass from Him?

“My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.”

Since Jesus knew his fate from the beginning and had referred to it before, why then did he pray that prayer, knowing it was his fate?

The Haydock Commentary says this manifests that as a man Christ feared while He still stayed in harmony with His divine will to accept His coming sufferings.

He that was God and man, had both a divine and a human will. He was pleased to let us know what he naturally feared, as man, and in the sensitive part of his soul; yet shews his human will had nothing contrary to his divine will, by presently adding, but not my will, but thine be done. Here, as related by S. Luke, followed his bloody sweat. Luke xxii. 43. Wi.

Like all actions of Christ it shows us an example to follow, which in this case is to accept the will of God even when we are afraid.

In the divine mercy revelation which you don’t have to believe - Jesus told St faustina - that it was luke warm believers that made him feel that way - people who walk up to communion without any thought of the holy sacrament - that we are meeting Christ and that we are accepting him and offering ourselves - communion is what you make of it - and you should be able to give that one moment to Christ in your week - many don’t. Like i said don’t have to believe it - you can read it if you want in her diaries.

Watch this video by scott hahn it’s one hour long has answers to all your questions:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ea2qzlgrJcQ&safe=active

I once read a beautiful description of the agony in Gethsemane on a Catholic blog… or maybe I heard it from the Institute of Catholic Culture.

In a sense, the Lord was embodying the voice of all mankind in every part of the human condition. He was truly incarnate, but because He is one of the three eternal and infinite Divine Persons of the Holy Trinity, His sacred incarnation is capable of representing every human person before God.

When the Lord went forth from the Last Supper and passed over Kidron - the sacrifice having begun in earnest - He was already carrying the sins, sorrows, and sickness of the world upon Himself. He was capable of representing everyone and everything, groaning since the Fall, like a terrible boulder crushing Him in the Garden. As a man He saw every sin: past, present, and future, through His human nature’s consubstantial union with His divine nature. Being both God and man, He knew all sin and sickness in a single instant. It was His focus in the Passion. He cried out simply because the dregs of the cup of sin had become so filthy, so wretched, and so sad.

Christ cried out “let this cup pass from me” because that is truly the cry of fallen humanity, which never wants to go with the things God has required of us, that we may live. He did not say this in sin, or as a sinner, but as the High Priest interceding for us. I believe it is the same thing as the cry “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” upon the Cross before His glorious death.

The “nevertheless…let* your* will be done, not my own” of Christ is our salvation.

He was fully human. If you had foreknowledge of how you would experience the pain of torture the next day-and you could walk away from it-I doubt you’d embrace that fate with sheer delight. :slight_smile: The true drama that was demonstrated by His struggle with that fear of pain-not fear of death, BTW-contrasted with His overcoming that fear by virtue of His obedience to the Father’s will born of His fathomless love for man, serves to show us how deep that love really is.

Because although He knew as God what His requirements would be, as a human being, He still did not want to die.

We have a propensity to over-spiritualize everything our LORD did, yet he was a human being and had a human mind. And to the human mind, death is just plain hideous, particularly when one is young, solid-bodied and full of life!

Although He remained obedient, He desired life as much as you or I would. That desire was part of what made Him. “Like us in all things but sin.”

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.