Why did Jesus choose bread & wine for the Eucharist?

Well at least for the bread we know that GOD commanded Moses to use bread at the meal on the night of deliverance when all the first born in Egypt were taken by the Angel of Death,
Wine I imagine that it was an integral part of mixing it with water that rendered it potable even in Moses time.
The Egyptians did know and drank beer as it is recorded in ancient manuscripts. Even the Sumerians before the Egyptians knew beer as is recorded in tablets that were recovered in Syria.
But Jesus chose wine which seems to point that the Israelite preferred the wine/water combination.
So pure wine was used during festivals and celebrations and water mixed with wine in day to day to preserve potability.
Peace!

Thank you for sharing that. It’s an interesting article, but I think it leaves out an important point of the use of bread and wine.

Remember that Jesus was “a high priest after the order of Melchizedek” (Hebrews 5:10). The ritual of the bread and wine was actually instituted by Melchizedek (Genesis 14:18). So those using it after him, such as Jesus and the Jews at Passover, were actually following in the tradition of Melchizedek’s priesthood.

2 Likes

Christopher West shares an amazing understanding of the elements of bread and wine. Try checking out a talk of his: https://www.virtualcatholicconference.com/EC2020FreeLoginLink/post/528 @ 21 minutes

He wonderfully depicts how the bread, which is created from the crushed endosperm of the plant, and the wine, which is the fertilized ovary of the grape plant, and this fertility of creation is put on the altar, where grace is building upon nature, becomes the supernatural fertility of Mary’s womb. And we takes this into our bodies and conceive eternal life!

I have been processing this for a couple of days now, and my mind is still blown, and my heart is fuller for having study this teaching!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.