Why did Jesus come into the world?

Jesus gives us the answer to this question. Does anyone know where the verse is and what are your thoughts about the answer? Peace be with you.

Is it John 18:37? To testify to the truth. The truth being that he is king, and that he is king of a kingdom, a kingdom which is not of this world?

So Pilate said to him, “Then you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say I am a king.* For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.” John 18: 37

Good answer Darryl and fast too and all the way from New Zealand! I think it is a very important sometimes overlooked verse. Some people are not aware of it. I ran into it again recently reading “Veritatis Splendor.”

1. Christ reveals, first and foremost, that the frank and open acceptance of truth is the condition for authentic freedom: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (Jn 8:32).139 This is truth which sets one free in the face of worldly power and which gives the strength to endure martyrdom. So it was with Jesus before Pilate: “For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth” (Jn 18:37). The true worshippers of God must thus worship him “in spirit and truth” (Jn 4:23): in this worship they become free. Worship of God and a relationship with truth are revealed in Jesus Christ as the deepest foundation of freedom.

Got any thoughts on the verse?

**For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost. **(Luke 19:10)

I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. (Luke 5:32)

“You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and **for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” **(John 18:37)

How about these.

As others have tried to do before and after him…to help introduce people to a kinder, more loving and compassionate way to deal with each other.

Also John 10:10b.

JOHN 10:10 b I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.

I’m surely not the only one thinking that that goal is a fair way from being achieved…

“You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18:37)

What do you think the “'truth” is that Jesus came to witness to? What about those who do not listen to Him they apparently do not know the truth? Is this a truth that is true whether one believes it or not? Just some thoughts and questions because that is a very powerful verse and also a powerful statement by the Pope.

1. Christ reveals, first and foremost, that the frank and open acceptance of truth is the condition for authentic freedom: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (Jn 8:32).139 This is truth which sets one free in the face of worldly power and which gives the strength to endure martyrdom. So it was with Jesus before Pilate: “For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth” (Jn 18:37). The true worshippers of God must thus worship him “in spirit and truth” (Jn 4:23): in this worship they become free. Worship of God and a relationship with truth are revealed in Jesus Christ as the deepest foundation of freedom. Veritatis Splendor paragraph 87.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him

Jesus came into the World so that humanity can once again be reconciled with their Creator and God. Humanity on it’s own could not properly please much less fully understand God, so God in His Goodness sent His only begotten Son Jesus so he can, through his teachings and instruction, reconcile us before God and through his salvation we can now be united to Him that Loves us…God.

My friend, I am a recent convert to the Catholic Faith (Easter 2014) from protestantism, so my only thought is that I must read “Veritatis Splendor”, and thank you for recommending it to me.

To save the us.

“You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18:37)

What do you think the “'truth” is that Jesus came to witness to? What about those who do not listen to Him they apparently do not know the truth? Is this a truth that is true whether one believes it or not? Just some thoughts and questions because that is a very powerful verse and also a powerful statement by the Pope.

1. Christ reveals, first and foremost, that the frank and open acceptance of truth is the condition for authentic freedom: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (Jn 8:32).139 This is truth which sets one free in the face of worldly power and which gives the strength to endure martyrdom. So it was with Jesus before Pilate: “For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth” (Jn 18:37). The true worshippers of God must thus worship him “in spirit and truth” (Jn 4:23): in this worship they become free. Worship of God and a relationship with truth are revealed in Jesus Christ as the deepest foundation of freedom. Veritatis Splendor paragraph 87.

So, Jesus came into the world to bare witness to the truth and He did so and He was crucified. What is it about truth that gets people in so much trouble? Is claiming to have the truth arrogant and intolerant? What exactly was the truth that He witnessed to? Is the truth He witnessed to still true today? Can we know this truth? Is this truth true for everyone? Does everyone have there own truth? What thinkest thou?

Mark 1: 34-38
“He cured many who were sick with various diseases, and he drove out many demons, not permitting them to speak because they knew him.
Jesus Leaves Capernaum. 35n Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed. 36Simon and those who were with him pursued him 37and on finding him said, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages that I may preach there also. For this purpose have I come.”

This passage in Mark is interesting. People were coming to Jesus because of the miracles he performed. He had made life easier for them. Yet, Jesus leaves them to do something more important. To preach the truth.

Another passage is John 17, Christ’s priestly prayer in the garden before his Passion. Some excerpts…

Father … I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

I have manifested thy name to the men whom thou hast given me out of the world.

I have made known thy name to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me, may be in them, and I in them.

The Gospel of John states that Jesus said to Pilate that he is a king and “came into the world … to bear witness to the truth; and all who are on the side of truth listen to my voice”, to which Pilate famously replied, “What is truth?” (John 18:38)

We don’t know what language Pilate spoke in to Jesus but if he spoke in Latin:

“QUID EST VERITAS?” (“What is truth?”) an anagram of this is “EST VIR QUI ADEST”–“It is the man who stands before you.”

Jesus came to save us. This mission is carried out by three means.

John 14:6
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.’ ”

There are three aspects to the mission of Jesus Christ.
1. To teach, - truth
see Mark 1:38 which depicts His role as the Prophet; See Bible.

We need to know with an infallible certainty of how to get to heaven.

1. To rule, - way
    see Revelation 17:14 depicting Him as the King of Kings; Jesus set up a kingdom.

2. To Sanctify, - life see Hebrews 5-10 especially 7:21- 8:6 depicting His role as the High Priest. Jesus came to make us holy and fit for heaven where nothing that is unclean will be able to enter, Revelation 21:27.

Just as Christ was sent by the Father, He sends the Twelve Apostles. He entrusts and empowers them with this three fold mission of His.

Luke 22:29-32
“ … and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren.’ ” RSV

1. CHURCH’S THREEFOLD MISSION

It is through this Apostolic Church that the Catholic Church’s earthly leaders can be traced back through history. See external link to see the list of Popes going back to Saint Peter. Also, see the list written by St. Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons, around 180 - 199 AD, see sections two and three. And it is through these earthly leaders that our heavenly leader Jesus Christ carries out His mission to teach, to rule, and to sanctify.

Read more how the Church established by Jesus Christ carries on His mission to Teach, to Rule or Govern, and to Sanctify.

If Jesus does not fulfill this mission through His Church, then his success lasted only until His Ascension into heaven two thousand years ago, whereas in regards to modern times He would have to be termed as a failure. But, He did not fail.

Read how

defendingthebride.com/ch/hand.html#6

To redeem mankind from the abyss into which the Original Sin of Adam and Eve had plunged them by closing heaven and requiring the establishment of Limbo. He achieved that objective by His suffering, crucifixion and death, after establishing His Catholic Church to teach, rule and sanctify mankind through His Magisterium, the priesthood, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the seven sacraments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.