Why did jesus never seem to praise mary?

i’m thinking of the case where people told him that his mothers and brothers were wanting to speak to him and he kind of dismissed that by saying that those with him currently were his mothers and borthers and that you had to keep the word of God. of course, Mary did do that but couldn’t he have given her some kind of honour in that instance?

i do agree that he gave her to us on the cross but it seemed like he hnoured others more than her.

this is why the marian doctrines are a little difficult.

i know the usual arguments though, the wedding of cana, her being full of grace and the holy spirit overshadowing her. it just seems like Jesus didn’t acknowledge her as much as the church seems to today.

Like whom? Can you cite examples?

this is why the marian doctrines are a little difficult.

i know the usual arguments though, the wedding of cana, her being full of grace and the holy spirit overshadowing her. it just seems like Jesus didn’t acknowledge her as much as the church seems to today.

In what way do you claim that Our Lord did not honor his mother? Or that he honored her LESS than we do?

well he did not call her his greatest disciple or point to her as a model to follow or anything like that.

How about telling us exactly what Jesus said in that passage?

Why is the wedding feast at Cana not a good enough argument? There has never ever been another person in the entire history of the world who told God what to do to which he then obeyed except for Mary. Not much higher praise than that, no?

Jesus said those who kept his word were his mother and brothers. ** Who kept God’s word more than Mary?** He often called her “Woman” as she was considered the “new Eve”, but his last words on the cross were said to BEHOLD his mother (and ours, by extension. “Behold” means “to look upon”, “gaze” and “comprehend”.)

Jesus was obedient to her, as his mother, during his youth.

He listened to her intercession at the Wedding of Cana.

Mary was present at so many moments in Jesus’ life…from the Annunciation, the Visitation, his Birth, moments he was preaching, his crucifixion, when he was taken down from the cross, his burial. She was there in the upper room.

Her womb was the first place Jesus touched on Earth! He spent his first 9 months in her womb! God spent 9 months in her womb!

God the Father honored her. His words, through the Angel Gabriel to God’s most perfect creation are repeated to this day. God told Mary that ALL generations would call her blessed.

Sadly, there are some who do not want to honor God’s mother even to fulfill scripture.

The Angel Gabriel told her that she had found favor with God! That is no small matter.

She was given the role of crushing the head of the serpent. So, we must in no way minimize, or ignore her role.

She is the daughter of God the Father, the Mother of Jesus, God the Son, the Spouse of the Holy Spirit. She is the tabernacle, the Ark of the Covenant, but in the flesh!

She is the Immaculate Conception.

A tree is known by its fruit. From her came Jesus, so what does that say about Mary?

We believe she was assumed into heaven, crowned “Queen of Heaven”!

Mary was very humble. She always reflected any praise back to God, anyway!

I think she will get praise and honor in heaven rather than on earth.

Jesus clearly gave verbal recognition and praise to John the Baptist, calling him the greatest man ever born of woman. Has Jesus ever given such a clear and direct acknowledgement of Mary?

Jesus loved, honored, respected and obeyed His Mother in more ways than we can ever know. The scriptures that eventually became our Bible were complied to include history and focus on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Mary would be the first person to defer to those records and minimize her own role in history.

Do you mean in Scripture alone or would you accept quotes from Church approved private revelations?

Forgive me if I focus on their earthly relationship but this was a widowed Jewish mother and Son who spent many years together in support, both material and spiritual. It was obviously a very deep relationship between Son and mother and it would almost belittle that relationship to praise her. Why would He need to do that? I understand the need to publicly praise and endorse John the Baptist, but not Mary. Too deep, too humble, too much love for mere praise.

Keep in mind that the gospels were written by disciples of Jesus who were mainly focused on the mission of Christ. Mary’s role was never meant to superscede that of Christ. Nonetheless, her very important role was well mentioned in the book of Luke. Her role as the Virgin Mother is much attested to there.

The Church in her wisdom was able to see Mary’s role as the New Eve. You can see this in the writings of the early Church Fathers. Since it was by the cunning of the devil and the disobedience of the woman Eve that Adam sinned, and with that all men sinned, then it was fitting that it was through the obedience of a woman, Mary, that the second Adam, Christ obeyed and redeemed all men. It was not required in order for Christ to redeem us. Yet, in order for Christ’s victory to be complete and lacking nothing it was fitting in order to defeat the devils boast in even his smaller victories against God. Since it was because of Adam’s sin, not Eve’s that mankind fell. Yet, Eve played a role in bringing that about. This obedience of the new Eve, Mary, which enables the Incarnation restores the dignity of the woman.

I recommend reading “Making Sense of Mary”, by Gary Michuta. It will help you to understand the doctrines on Mary.

Did he call anyone ELSE his “greatest disciple?” Or point to anyone ELSE as a model to follow (though Our Lady did that for Jesus - John 2:5)? Or “anything like that” (whatever *that *means)?

Did Jesus ever elevate anybody above his own mother, according to ANY of the criteria you have suggested?

Lemme cut to the chase: Who did Jesus praise ABOVE his mother, Mary? You have exactly two possible answers to that question:
[LIST]
*]Some guy (I beg you, for your own sake, to not cite the Roman captain, because you will be destroyed on this Forum if you do)
*]Nobody
[/LIST]
I’m gonna go with Door #2 (because it’s the TRUTH).

Are you gonna open Door #1? Can you tell us what (or, really, who) you expect to find there?

Once you understand Mary’s role as the new Eve all the Marian doctrines begin to fall in place. I’m still reading this wonderful book by Gary Michuta, but I’ve learned a lot from it. already.

The reading from last Sunday highlights the importance oh honoring one’s mother and father.

“God sets a father in honor over his children; a mother’s authority he confirms over her sons. Whoever honors his father atones for sins, and preserves himself from them. When he prays, he is heard; he stores up riches who reveres his mother. Whoever honors his father is gladdened by children, and, when he prays, is heard. Whoever reveres his father will live a long life; he who obeys his father brings comfort to his mother.”

In the gospels Jesus often talks about how following him is more important than even family. That’s what Jesus meant by that Scripture you quoted. He wasn’t putting down his own mother. He was teaching obedience to God is more important than even family ties. And Mary is a perfect example of obedience.

Jesus’ family is a spiritual family. His brothers and sisters are those who do the will of God. This is why Mary is more than just a physical mother, but she is a spiritual mother. Jesus acknowledges this on the cross as you pointed out. He even calls her woman which is what Eve was called. And then also in Revelations 12 we see Mary called woman with a crown of 12 stars giving birth to Jesus, and is at odds with the devil who makes war against her offspring, those who are Christians. Revelations 12 is pregnant (pun intended) with Marian themes.

All Scripture is inspired of God. 2 Timothy 3:16

And he came to her and said, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!” Luke 1:28

Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? Luke 1:41-43

But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. John 31:25

And a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars; Rev 12:1

Mary: Mother of God and Queen of Heaven

Luke 1:31–33
And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; and of his kingdom there will be no end.

Jesus inherits David’s throne, and Mary becomes Queen Mother. Support for the principle of the Queen Mother in the House of David is found clearly in the following passages:

1 Kings 2:19
When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king’s mother, and she sat down at his right hand.

Since Solomon had MANY wives, none of them would be queen. In fact, it was his mother that sat on the throne. This idea is also evident in the book of Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 13:18
18 Say to the king and to the queen mother, “Come down from your thrones, for your glorious crowns will fall from your heads.”

From these two passages, we can see that the mother of the king held the title of Queen in the Davidic kingdom. We also know that Mary is the Queen of Heaven from the following:

Revelation 12:1-2
1A great and wondrous sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth.

Since the writer goes on to say that the woman gave birth to a son who would rule the nations, we can conclude that the woman wearing the crown in heaven is the Mother of Jesus, Mary.

So, how much acknowledgment is Mary receiving from Jesus? :wink:

“While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, " Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.” Based on a similar quote by Jesus in Luke 23, that must’ve been a common phrase to compliment a child and parent.

But He said, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

Sorry to say this is not a rebuke of Mary, who as far as the whole chapter is concerned, isn’t even around to be rebuked. Why would Jesus suggest that His mother isn’t blessed? Does he want to rebuke Elizabeth as well? (Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb)

No. Jesus’ point is not that his Mother isn’t blessed. His point is that her blessedness doesn’t come from her* status* as His mother, but from what she does; she heard the Word of God, and observed it. Anyone can do that. Jesus is telling the crowd that blessedness comes not from one’s status, but from working in faith. And notice he doesn’t say, “…blessed are those who hear the word of God and believe it.” Jesus knows real belief, real faith is shown by one’s fruits, one’s actions, one’s works.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.