Why did Jesus say

Why did Jesus say he will come when everything is peaceful

He said ’ security ’ that he will come like a their

But if we have the anti Christ there will be absolute chaos ?

We have no idea whether there will be chaos or not.

What Jesus means is that he will come when we are not expecting him.

1 Like

Can you give the verse number or cite it he whole passage?

1 Like

The faithful are ready.

John 14

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, do I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid.

Matthew 24

42 Watch ye therefore, because ye know not what hour your Lord will come.
43 But know this ye, that if the goodman of the house knew at what hour the thief would come, he would certainly watch, and would not suffer his house to be broken open.
44 Wherefore be you also ready, because at what hour you know not the Son of man will come.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576

677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.579 The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God’s victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.580 God’s triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.581

1 Like

I’m sorry but on multiple occasions now you’ve been making false claims about what Scripture says. If this is indeed something Jesus said, it should be easy enough to cite the passage.

Jesus said nothing of the sort. He said he will come at an hour you do not expect.

What’s with this obsession over the end times anyway? This plus misreadings of Scripture no wonder you’re so frightened.

1 Like

Because I’m worried he’s already here in the clouds

There’s signs in the heavens

So you are making untrue claims about what Scripture says because you think Jesus might already be here? Forgive me, but that makes no sense to me.

If you are on constant watch for “signs and wonders” (which generally aren’t either) then you aren’t keeping your focus on living your best life and staying out of sin. Just make sure that you are keeping yourself ready, not in fear but in anticipation.

1 Like

If you think that the best thing to do is go to confession and keep living a Catholic life.

Repent from your sins as if you will die in a few minutes because we know not when our end is.

First of all, there are no signs in the heavens. I don’t know what you’re seeing but that ain’t it.

Second, Jesus is not in the clouds, because we will all know it when he is, but even if we were to grant it, so what? If he’s coming right this minute what are you so scared of?

And finally, even if you have these irrational fears, why are you making false claims about what the Bible says?

I would note that this not only applies to our friend here, but a significant number of other posters we get, Catholics I see posting in other places, and Catholics I hear talking at church.

1 Like

If only we pay attention to the end time that is certain to come for all of us: the moment of our death. We may not know when Christ will come in the clouds, and maybe a lot of us will not taste death, but more likely, we will all come to the moment we draw our last breath. THAT is the end-time we should prepare for.

Focusing on an unknown Second Coming is not healthy for anyone’s spiritual life. We believe it, we look forward with joy to it. We do not obsess over it or live in fear over it.

1 Like

I completely agree. I think there is a 99.99999999999999999999999999 etc percentage chance that my own “end time” will come before Jesus’ return. I prioritize my concerns accordingly.

1 Like

The atmosphere of much of the world is a tense and worried one, currently. People tend to worry / panic more during those times, and I bet that’s why there’s been a lot of this sort of thing lately.

Honestly both concerns should lead to the exact same outcome.

Our response to “it’s the end of the world” and our response to “It is time for me to die” should be the same. If we are right with the Lord, “Yes, please.” If we are not, “I need to repent and be ready”.

I personally wish Jesus would come just about every day because then I wouldn’t have any more life responsibilities to deal with.

I don’t find it a scary concept at all. Come Lord Jesus!

Of course, he generally says, “Nuh-uh, you don’t get off that easy!”

As you point out, if we stay in a state of grace and are doing our best to follow Jesus, we have nothing to fear.

2 Likes

Exactly!

Yes, exactly. Because they are essentially the same thing.

But this poster’s pattern seems to be some kind unfounded fear of Jesus somehow hiding behind a cloud somewhere. In other threads, this poster obsesses about the final 3.5 years of the planet’s existence and that somehow sins would all of a sudden become unforgivable.

It is, quite frankly, a bizarre posting pattern.

Hello there, @HelloThere!

The reference you have quoted ARE in Scripture. They’re just a little out of order, and you are interpreting them by your earlier teachings.

1Thessalonians 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

1Thessalonnians 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

There’s a lot more here that might clarify.

So anyhow, Paul spoke of “security.” Jesus spoke of Noah’s time:

Matthew 24:37-39

King James Version

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Read full chapter

My guess — and I freely admit it is a Guess – is that in Noah’s day the rich and powerful felt security, and were partying. But the odds are that they were rich and powerful because they harmed others. There would be much poverty, strife and rage. (If the victims were good people, they would have gone into the Ark, but they weren’t, so they didn’t.) So probably it will look much the same as the end of the age draws near: the powerful feel secure, but there would be much hate and suffering in the world.

But you say you are worried about signs in the skies. Dear one, don’t be.

Remember that earth-shattering blast, fire, and tsunami in the film DEEP IMPACT? That’s nothing compared to Christ’s return.

Remember that talk about supernovas exploding? (Betelgeuse is the closest active candidate, if and when.) That’s nothing compared to Christ’s return.

Remember when the Death Star blew up Alderaan, and Luke Skywalker then blew up the Death Star? That’s nothing compared to Christ’s return.

Yes, there will be weird things in our earth and sky on a fairly regular basis. It’s because we live in a weird world. (Well, a fallen world, but that word can siphon the hope out of it.)

But when Christ returns, we will know it. People who don’t believe in Him will know it. People who never heard of Him will know it. The dead in their graves will know it. And those who love Christ will be so overjoyed to see Him that we will forget to be afraid anymore.

Dear one, I grew up with Rapture/Dispensation teachings too. It’s scary to be taught them. It’s scary to question them. And it’s scary to ask for help in having the Word of God expounded more perfectly, so that you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

Yes, this world can be a little scary right now. Fortunately, you are not alone. Never alone. God loves you. Be right with Christ’s First Coming, and the Second Coming will take care of itself.

By the way, the rest of the posters … please understand that fear is part of the Rapture/Dispensation framework. I do not say this disparagingly or unkindly. Many teach their students with a sincere concern for their souls: that if the Rapture were real, you DO NOT WANT to miss it. The signs-of-the-times are taught to ensure that students do not miss their salvation.

If you were never exposed to Dispensationalism, you may not know how much courage it takes to examine it. Instead, I hope everyone will help a true seeker in his/her quest to know the truth about God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.

Thank you.

Most excellent reply…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.